Quantcast

College of Staten Island DPT Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drywinter

Reaction score
Hi I just recently was accepted to CSI's DPT program and looking to find out who are my classmates. I started a Facebook group with the same name (College of Staten Island DPT Class of 2017). Please introduce yourselves.

drywinter

Reaction score
Btw I'm Mike. I'm a graduate of Penn State and will be looking for apartments soon so I can live near the school (if possible). Congratulations to everyone who got accepted into the program and hopefully we can be a part of the best class to graduate from the CSI DPT program!

hopefulptny

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Congrats on your acceptance!

Just in case you weren't aware, CSI has dorms that were just built this summer :)

Swish960

Reaction score
I've been accepted to CSI and am debating between CSI and SUNY Upstate. Looking at housing in the SI area and it seems pretty steep, that CUNY tuition is certainly going to come in handy. Why did you guys choose CSI?

Reactions: 1 user

drywinter

Reaction score
I chose CSI because of the tuition (that's by far the biggest reason) and it has the bonus of being in the greater NYC area. The schools in PA are really expensive, so much so that some of the private schools are cheaper than the public ones in PA. CSI also has the benefit of having a tiny class, so you will almost definitely get to know everyone in your class and there's the potential to learn more in class (if they decide to do a little more discussion oriented learning compared to other schools). I have a feeling Upstate has a far bigger class size so there's more anonymity at that type of school but also more people that you can meet. CSI is not a school with elite resources but at the end of the day the degree is all that matters. Get through the program, which is tougher than getting in, and pass your licensing exam(s).

drywinter

Reaction score
Btw @Swish960 congrats on getting in to both programs. @hopefulptny I looked at the dorm prices a while ago and they seemed pretty high but maybe I misinterpreted them.

james91091

Reaction score
I've been accepted to CSI and am debating between CSI and SUNY Upstate. Looking at housing in the SI area and it seems pretty steep, that CUNY tuition is certainly going to come in handy. Why did you guys choose CSI?
congrats on getting in!

Similar to @drywinter, I chose CSI mainly because of tuition and class size. One of the professors there was my actual PT when I went to physical therapy for a lower back problem and he is an amazing PT/professor (from what I heard from CSI and LIU students who have had him and PT's who take continuing ed courses that he teaches) so that's another reason why I chose that school. The commute is fairly convenient for me (I live in Brooklyn) so that was also a factor.

Small class size + great tuition + great faculty= can't really get better than that

Last edited:

Zhanik

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is Jan. I have just recently received my acceptance to CSI.
Congrats to everyone else who did as well!!
Has anyone by any chance talked to the students from previous years in the program?

drywinter

Reaction score
I spoke to a few of them right before and right after the interview (a couple other students gave myself and three other applicants a short tour) but since then no.

james91091

Reaction score
^Same. A friend of mine was taken off the wait list recently as well

Zhanik

Reaction score
Yeah it seems as though they're finishing up with the finalization of the class.
Regarding the current students you talked to during your interview, did they say anything interesting about the program, good and bad?

james91091

Reaction score
The students who I've spoken to have said that it was a great program and they really enjoy it

drywinter

Reaction score
What I got from them was that you get to know your class well since it is so small and that they like the program. This is going to be a big chance for all of us in general unless anyone has done work at the Masters level in biology because the amount of things we're going to have to memorize is going to be overwhelming compared to the undergrad level.

Zhanik

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad to hear that, because I didn't get a chance to talk to any of the students during my interview, and I have not been able to find anything about the program from the student's point of view. anywhere on the internet. So it's reassuring to hear that.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what part of New York does everyone reside in, and if not currently in New York, where are you planning to live during the program?

james91091

Reaction score
My friend and I live in Brooklyn (he is likely going to join the program) about a 20 minute drive from the school

james91091

Reaction score
bensonhurst, you? maybe we can get a carpool going so we can save money on toll :laugh:

Zhanik

Reaction score
Yeah that's definitely a good idea. I live in Sheepshead Bay currently, but that might change by the time the program starts. Going through the bridge everyday will be a killer on the wallet, I hope there's some kind of Staten Island student discount.

james91091

Reaction score
I calculated the price and with discount (about $11/day) the total spending on traveling + tuition is still much less than any SUNY tuition so it isn't too bad. Unfortunately I don't think there is a student discount. Carpooling would make the prices better. My friend and I will probably split the traveling costs when we start so its about the same as using a metro card to travel to other schools

Zhanik

Reaction score
Carpooling is the best way to go. Once the program starts, maybe we can arrange something. And the tuition is definitely a huge plus, speaking of which, do you know exactly what the prices are per year/semester? I haven't spoken with the Bursar's office yet.

james91091

Reaction score
The VIP page says:
Full time - 4585/semester (residents)
Part time - 385/credit

If this holds true and our curriculum is what this site says:
http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Element...cal-Therapy-DPT-Curriculum-at-College-of-Stat

Then, our tuition is
6 full semesters x 4585 = 27510
3 part time semesters (19 credits total) x 385 = 7315
Total = 34825 for 3 years + random fees (not sure how this is calculated)

Hopefully this is correct

Zhanik

Reaction score
Yeah I calculated that on the VIP page as well, but the unorganized site that the VIP page is on, I'm afraid that those prices are for the general graduate level and not the DPT program specifically. I really hope that my assumption is wrong, and that those are our actual prices, because that would be really awesome.

james91091

Reaction score
Yeah that was what I was thinking also but I checked CUNY CSI's site as well and no where does it indicate that there is a doctorate program tuition price. Regardless, I don't think it will be over 40k for 3 years which is very affordable compared to other schools

Zhanik

Reaction score
You are probably right, it should definitely not go over 40k and even then, that is less than half the price of any other school (except for Hunter). So honestly, I think we are very fortunate to have been accepted, coming out from the program with this tuition will be very bearable. Like you said earlier, small class, great tuition, and great faculty, really can't get better.

dropping101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Congrats on getting in (and hopefully starting) CSI's DPT program. Would you guys sharing some of your experiences in CSI? Also, your stats if possible?

james91091

Reaction score
the program is quite intense and the schedule is pretty packed. we take 19 credits the first semester(fall) and will be taking 20 credits in the spring. all classes have 20 members and everyone is very nice and helpful. some parts of the program are better than others but no program is perfect

from what i recall, most of us have relatively high GPAs (>3.5)

dropping101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thats good to hear! I currently have an interview set for December 2nd and CSI is my top choice! I have a 3.57 overall, ~3.3 prereq, 154GRE (both sections) and over 800 volunteer hours (work as an aide). Is there any interview/admissions advice you can give me?

james91091

Reaction score
it is a group interview so don't be intimidated by others answers. the faculty who will be interviewing you are very nice and the questions range from strength/weaknesses to why CSI? honestly i did not think i did well at all on my CSI interview but i still made it so dont stress it too much but still do a little research on the school beforehand

dropping101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
you're awesome, thank you so much for the pointers. is there anything else i can do to better prepare for the interview?

james91091

Reaction score
i think there was also an essay portion about your volunteer experiences and how they influenced your view on PT. Aside from that, just get a nice outfit ready for interview day. what time is your interview on the 2nd btw?

james91091

Reaction score
good luck tomorrow. the first years (me) and third years will be there in class so i'm sure you will see us in one of the rooms.

james91091

Reaction score
how did it go today? i saw a few groups of people dressed up, did you happen to talk to the first years?

dropping101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
it went alright, just the standard questions. I don't really feel like i have an opinion on it because my fellow colleagues were also very well qualified. The first years made the program sound amazing, I really like the pleasant atmosphere. Everyone seemed so united, like a big ol' happy family. I would love to go there if I could somehow get accepted. Now comes the nail biting!

james91091

Reaction score
glad you had a good experience. good luck with everything and hope to see you in the fall

dropping101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you once again for your help! I hope to see you too!

Jlbear

Reaction score
What's the interview like? Who is interviewing, how many? Is it a group interview? What type of questions asked? What was the writing sample on?

ushadrugsinc.

Reaction score
Hi, I work for a TV show called Drugs Inc.
We are looking for young adults to appear the next episode on Staten Island and want to chat to some prescription pill users.
If you know anyone who might be interested, can you please send me an email on [email protected] (the process is anonymous)
Thanks!

dimon88

Reaction score
Hi I just recently was accepted to CSI's DPT program and looking to find out who are my classmates. I started a Facebook group with the same name (College of Staten Island DPT Class of 2017). Please introduce yourselves.
Hi I have been accepted to CSI DPT for Fall 2016?... If ill be in your class whats your FB page address?... how do I join your FB page?

dimon88

Reaction score
Yeah that's definitely a good idea. I live in Sheepshead Bay currently, but that might change by the time the program starts. Going through the bridge everyday will be a killer on the wallet, I hope there's some kind of Staten Island student discount.
I recently was accepted tp DPT as well.. I live in bensonhurst .. about the bridge toll i'm not sure if you know about eZpass but SI resident pay half of the amount to cross verrazano... dont know about student discount but maybe try to call eZpass and ask if they have or not... i think this is info of EZpass in SI:
Address: 1150 South Ave, Staten Island, NY 10314
Phone:(718) 313-9250

CSIPT2017

Reaction score
Hi I have been accepted to CSI DPT for Fall 2016?... If ill be in your class whats your FB page address?... how do I join your FB page?
Nobody uses that facebook group now. You can start your own on FB or look for one if someone else made one for the class of 2019. Btw congratulations!