College Senior considering embarking on the non traditional journey and looking for advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

psu228

Hello everyone,

I'm a senior at Penn State, I majored in a liberal arts major, while minoring in biology and two other liberal arts disciplines as well. I've done pretty well in my science classes, science GPA being 3.3 right now. Unfortunately I will have to retake general chem 1 and 2 which I slacked off in and got c's, but I digress..

Anyway, my situation is this. I still have to take o chem 2, physics 1 and 2, and stat to finish up my pre reqs. I also believe that I should retake those gen chems cause those c's will look bad just about anywhere. I'm NOT asking for advice on how I should take these classes, just painting a picture for you guys of what lies ahead.

My main question really is, how hard is it to basically lead a somewhat normal life as a non traditional student? My current plan would be to do Teach for America (I was accepted to teach highschool science in Philadelphia) for two years, finish my pre reqs and mcats, and then god willing go to med school. The only thing holding me back honestly is that fact that I will then be 29 when I graduate medical school, and 33ish when I finish residency depending on specialty.

That just seems like a long time to kind of put my life on hold. Medicine has been a dream of mine for a long time, nothing makes me as happy than imagining my life as a doc, even given the harsh realities of the profession. I have options; I did will on the LSATs, I was accepted to usmc occ, but medicine makes me excited in a way nothing else does, and I do think it is what would make me happiest long term.

So for all you who have been through it and have the experience I lack, is it possible in your late 20s to balance med school, residency and a normal life? I'd like to be married and have kids in my early thirties, I'd like to maintain some friendships during this period as well. I know med school and residency are huge sacrifices and I am okay with that, I guess I just want to hear some persepective about the degree to which they are.

Thank you guys

Members don't see this ad.

1. Unfortunately, a 3.3 sGPA is not considered "pretty well", 3.63 is the average sGPA for all 2014 matriculants https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstable17.pdf
  2. Retaking classes is a good way to get started on repairing that GPA, but as stated above, you might need more than 4 classes to bring that up. If you consider DO schools, then the grades will be replaced instead of averaged, which will bump your GPA up more.
  3. Check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nontraditionals-ages.351126/. Graduating medical school at 29 will not "hold you back". It is your choice, however, in term of how to balance that with family and personal lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like the big concern is putting your life on hold to pursue medicine (trust me, I get it). First and foremost, yes, in many ways you will be putting your life "on hold." You will see friends getting married, going out on weeknights/weekends, buying houses, and having children. Many of those things may not be an option due to time/financial/professional constraints. Whether or not this is worth it to you has a lot to do with your motivations and your desire to serve others as a doctor. Many people get married and have children before/during/after medical school. Its not easy but it is doable.

As for having other options that may lead to a better work/life balance: EXPLORE those options before starting. You also need to explore medicine. Many pre-meds fall in love with the idea of being a doctor and working in the medical field. Every doctor in the country will tell you that it is not nearly as romantic. Medicine is something you do because you 1) understand to the best of your ability the reality of practicing medicine and 2) will be able to find happiness serving others. You mentioned law school: explore it. You are starting teaching with TFA in a high needs urban community: explore it. You also have an interest in medicine: explore it by shadowing doctors and volunteering in low income clinics/hospice/nursing homes.

Last piece of advice that often does not get mentioned: it is OK to decide that medicine is not for you. Be skeptical, keep your options open.

As a side bar, I am a former TFA corps member. If you have any questions PM me and I can give you some insight into the program.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, my honest advice as someone who was in your shoes (a senior in college thinking about what to do) and is now around the ages you mention ... postpone your graduation an extra year and stay full-time as PSU taking the minimal load possible to get the pre-reqs you need. The age you are at now is like no other time in your life and will pass by in the blink of an eye. You will have the rest of your life to work 80 hour weeks and have no social life. For now, while you are still young, just take the courses you need, do well, meet lots of people and relish your weekends.

I worked my butt off in college, had zero fun, no friends, had the opportunity to stay longer to do the pre-reqs, but felt the pressure to get out and get a job asap. While I eventually ended up where I needed to be, looking back it was a huge mistake and I wish I would have just stayed that extra year. Unless you really feel like you got the total college experience already and are 100% done with that with no regrets and have a calling to do this teach for America thing, I wouldn't think twice about being a super senior, finishing everything up in 1 year and having the time of your life. Because it ends. Once you board the medicine train at MS-1 orientation it never stops and you can't get off until you're 60.

Everybody,

Yes, DO is actually my preference and I understand I need to retake those two chem classes to get my sgpa to a better place. Honestly I appreciate all the replies but I hate when these forums turn into "what are my chances at med school" obviously I am not at a place where that is a reasonable thing to consider and I think I made it clear that I wasn't asking that. I brought up my LSAT scores and being accepted into marine occ to exemplify that I have other options, so its hard for me sometimes to knowingly accept the sacrifices of medicine.

But with that being said the rest of you offered good advice and I appreciate it.

I did well on the LSAT myself (93rd percentile) and have basically been told by everyone not to bank on that equating to a good MCAT score.
You mis understood the point of my saying that, I'm illustrating I have other options, not arguing that this means I'll obviously do well on mcats.

OP, my honest advice as someone who was in your shoes (a senior in college thinking about what to do) and is now around the ages you mention ... postpone your graduation an extra year and stay full-time as PSU taking the minimal load possible to get the pre-reqs you need. The age you are at now is like no other time in your life and will pass by in the blink of an eye. You will have the rest of your life to work 80 hour weeks and have no social life. For now, while you are still young, just take the courses you need, do well, meet lots of people and relish your weekends.

I worked my butt off in college, had zero fun, no friends, had the opportunity to stay longer to do the pre-reqs, but felt the pressure to get out and get a job asap. While I eventually ended up where I needed to be, looking back it was a huge mistake and I wish I would have just stayed that extra year. Unless you really feel like you got the total college experience already and are 100% done with that with no regrets and have a calling to do this teach for America thing, I wouldn't think twice about being a super senior, finishing everything up in 1 year and having the time of your life. Because it ends. Once you board the medicine train at MS-1 orientation it never stops and you can't get off until you're 60.[UOTE]
Interesting advice. I had thought about this route but for whatever reason, I just feel a strong desire to graduate this year. I did have a pretty good college experience and for whatever reason I'm ready to move on (perhaps incorrectly).
But you're right staying an extra year and taking a few classes would probably be the best option for me to take. I just don't think I can see myself doing it.

to quote @Goro, patience is a virtue, and instant gratification is not.
Not to turn this into a "what are my chances" thread as you mentioned, but if you are serious about medicine, I'd suggest you take your time to maximize your chance.

In any case, best of luck on whatever you decide.
Interesting advice. I had thought about this route but for whatever reason, I just feel a strong desire to graduate this year. I did have a pretty good college experience and for whatever reason I'm ready to move on (perhaps incorrectly).
But you're right staying an extra year and taking a few classes would probably be the best option for me to take. I just don't think I can see myself doing it.