college sophomore just switcing to pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Konfetkette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh wow I cannot believe that I want to go to med school. The thought have been in my mind since Fall'07, but I somehow talked myself out of it and now the desire is back.

I am a Biology major in college, 2nd year. I had a very slow start at a community college and among other gen-ed requirements, I took two calculus classes from there, one general chemistry, and one English. I got Bs in calculus and chemistry, but A in English. Should I retake these classes because I keep hearing that medical schools don't like community college classes?
Right now at my university I'm taking General Chem II, as well as other Biology classes for my major (animal and plant biology).

Also, I lacked motivation to study because I didn't know what to do with my degree.. Now, however, my motivation is over the roof, which is a part of the reason why I think med school is right for me. Right now I have a 3.2 GPA and I can get it up to the competitive 3.6-3.7 by the time I graduate in 2010. However, I am wondering if 3.2 GPA right now would hurt my chances of getting in.

Is two years of volunteer work enough? I have never volunteering in anything. Does it look bad if you start as soon as you switch to pre-med? I feel like schools will think that I did it just to get into medical school, but in reality I want to do it to get some experience, see if work at a medical field is right for me, meet new people, and get that sense of satisfaction when you've helped your community without asking anything in return. In addition to volunteering at a local hospital, I plan on doing small volunteering, like environmental problems, maybe breast cancer awareness, national zoo in DC.

Do you guys think I have any real chances of getting in, especially if my plans for the next two years really happen (they kind of have to, lol.)?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

you're fine
your final gpa and science gpa is what matters
your major or when you choose to do pre-med doesn't really matter as much as your ability to convince them this is what you want to do.

i wouldn't retake classes, but instead ace the upper level ones.

It's good that you have a desire BUT
most important step you need to take, IMO, is to volunteer at a major hospital and expose yourself to reality of being a doc. For me, seeing the long hours of the residents and talking to them about their choices help me understand what I was putting myself into. Unfortunately, there were quite few docs who throught they made the choice to medicine w/o looking into the nitty gritty of it, the long hours and trainning that require big chunk of life. However, I also met docs who loved their job and love the life style.

I don't think you need to take science class from CC but you do need to stay above ~3.7 from now on and rest of your college life. Plus, you do need other activity in which you play the role of the leadership position, either at your school or in your community.

Given that you end up with close to 3.5GPA, >30MCAT, vounteerism, leadership position, Good LORs, and Personal Statement, IMO, you have a good chance of getting into medical school. Also, utilize the SEARCH to look up other's experiences in this jouney and looking into MD/DO may give you insight into two different path to being a physician.

Best of Luck!

OTL

Members don't see this ad :)
Well there is no "major" hospital here, but it's pretty big. A lot of students from a school that's on my choice list do their residency there.
I'm definitely volunteering though, that's a given.

I wasn't saying that I need to take science classes from CC. I said that I took the very few I need, and now am at a university and taking upper level biology classes, and taking organic chemistry next year.

I can get up to 3.5 easily with as much motivation as I have. Maybe I will even be up to 3.6 or 3.7 by the time I graduate.

Does anyone know if taking summer classes looks bad? Like mentioned previously, I took things slowly and now I'm behind, so I'm trying to take a gen-ed class this summer. It's not a prerequisite class. Should I instead focus on getting as much volunteer experience as I can this summer and just take all the classes I need during the normal school year?

Does anyone know if taking summer classes looks bad? Like mentioned previously, I took things slowly and now I'm behind, so I'm trying to take a gen-ed class this summer. It's not a prerequisite class. Should I instead focus on getting as much volunteer experience as I can this summer and just take all the classes I need during the normal school year?
Summer classes are fine, though you're wise to take gen ed classes in summer sessions.

It varies a lot by school and professor, but some summer science classes are at such a breakneck pace that you either are in jeopardy of a bad grade or get an easy grade but don't learn the stuff well enough for the MCAT.

You're a sophomore. You have plenty of time. You'll be fine...

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you're right! :)

However, I am wondering if 3.2 GPA right now would hurt my chances of getting in.

Not sure what you're asking here, as you're still a sophomore...

Will you have a tough time getting into med school with your current GPA of 3.2? Yes, most likely.

Will it look good if you steadily improve your GPA over the next few semesters? Yes, of course.

BTW, how many credits do you plan to take every semester in order to bring your GPA up to 3.7? If you stay on your current pace - having earned a 3.2 GPA through 3 semesters - you'll need a 4.0 GPA for the next 3 semesters to have a 3.6 cumulative GPA by the time you apply to med school.

You're doing fine! I didn't become pre-med until 8 years after graduating!

So yes, bring up your GPA as much as you can. Anything 3.5 or above will put you well in the middle of the pack, and you can still make it if you have a lower GPA (though higher is better, of course!)

Do some volunteering. It will really help you understand what you are getting into, and it is now almost a necessity for your appication. Don't worry about if "two years" is enough. You'll need to do it long enough to have experiences you can talk about in your interview and maybe long enough so you can get a letter of recommendation from someone there. Volunteer, but always leave enough time for your schoolwork.

Do well on the MCAT. It's scary, but totally doable! And although $100 may seem like a lot, it's worth it to buy one of those MCAT prep books. You really have to study for the types of questions they ask, not just the material.

You are doing just fine!

Not sure what you're asking here, as you're still a sophomore...

Will you have a tough time getting into med school with your current GPA of 3.2? Yes, most likely.

Will it look good if you steadily improve your GPA over the next few semesters? Yes, of course.

BTW, how many credits do you plan to take every semester in order to bring your GPA up to 3.7? If you stay on your current pace - having earned a 3.2 GPA through 3 semesters - you'll need a 4.0 GPA for the next 3 semesters to have a 3.6 cumulative GPA by the time you apply to med school.

Oh no I meant, will it hurt me if my current GPA is low even though I'd have a 3.6-3.7 by the time I graduate? Thanks for clarifying though. :)

Well next semester I will take Orgo (5 credits), Microbio (4 credits) and I guess another Biology course (since I'm a bio major), which will give me 13 credits... I might take another Gen Ed class, but to be honest I am practically done with them and might just leave them until my senior year.
I might also take physics but I've never had it and I hear mixed feelings about taking Orgo and physics at the same time... But then...college is nothing compared to med school, lol.

Actually, my school does not give grades to transfer credits. It only gives the credit, so in reality I have a 3.2 GPA from 14 credits and if I can maintain a 4.0 for 22 hours (less than two semesters), I will have a 3.7 :)

You're doing fine! I didn't become pre-med until 8 years after graduating!

So yes, bring up your GPA as much as you can. Anything 3.5 or above will put you well in the middle of the pack, and you can still make it if you have a lower GPA (though higher is better, of course!)

Do some volunteering. It will really help you understand what you are getting into, and it is now almost a necessity for your appication. Don't worry about if "two years" is enough. You'll need to do it long enough to have experiences you can talk about in your interview and maybe long enough so you can get a letter of recommendation from someone there. Volunteer, but always leave enough time for your schoolwork.

Do well on the MCAT. It's scary, but totally doable! And although $100 may seem like a lot, it's worth it to buy one of those MCAT prep books. You really have to study for the types of questions they ask, not just the material.

You are doing just fine!

I was wondering if it's worth taking the MCAT prep course? Or should I just study my butt off by myself and if I don't do well, then take the course? I have two years and I feel like this is more than enough time to study for the MCAT.... plus, I can actually look at the types of questions they ask and make sure I study as hard as I can for those topics in school, and review them regularly so I won't forget. I'm going to buy the MCAT prep books this summer.

Actually, my school does not give grades to transfer credits. It only gives the credit, so in reality I have a 3.2 GPA from 14 credits and if I can maintain a 4.0 for 22 hours (less than two semesters), I will have a 3.7 :)

You school may not include your previous CC classes in your cumulative GPA, but med schools see (and include) every class you've ever taken in their calculations. Just FYI.

(That's not to say you can't retake classes to improve your grades, if necessary. But while DO schools will take the latest, improved grade, MD schools will just average the two.)

Well there is no "major" hospital here, but it's pretty big. A lot of students from a school that's on my choice list do their residency there.
I'm definitely volunteering though, that's a given.

I wasn't saying that I need to take science classes from CC. I said that I took the very few I need, and now am at a university and taking upper level biology classes, and taking organic chemistry next year.

Oops~ I meant to say that you do not need to re-take classes over from cc. As long as you can show you can handle upper level courses it'll be OK-

You school may not include your previous CC classes in your cumulative GPA, but med schools see (and include) every class you've ever taken in their calculations. Just FYI.

(That's not to say you can't retake classes to improve your grades, if necessary. But while DO schools will take the latest, improved grade, MD schools will just average the two.)

Well then my GPA is 3.35. Oh wow I will need 80 hours of 4.0 to get a 3.7!!! OMG I don't even have 80 hours to take! What am I going to do!! Is GPA from a community college lower division classes really going to count so much if they see I am doing really well in my upper division classes??

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops~ I meant to say that you do not need to re-take classes over from cc. As long as you can show you can handle upper level courses it'll be OK-

Awesome!:) I'm finding that upper level classes are actually easier than lower level.

Is GPA from a community college lower division classes really going to count so much if they see I am doing really well in my upper division classes??

They'll look at trends, sure. But your cumulative undergrad GPA will include ALL coursework you've ever done - CC and 4-year university combined.

They'll look at trends, sure. But your cumulative undergrad GPA will include ALL coursework you've ever done - CC and 4-year university combined.

:eek:no one will accept me then!

Not necessarily true! Keep working on your GPA, rock the MCAT, get those necessary extra-curriculars done. You've still got time.

VCU says that the avg. GPA of accepted students is 3.5 and they give preferences to in-state students. Here is one good thing, although I was really hoping for UVA. Grrr

VCU says that the avg. GPA of accepted students is 3.5 and they give preferences to in-state students. Here is one good thing, although I was really hoping for UVA. Grrr

Again, you've got time. If your GPA is holding you back, there's always the option of a gap year/post-bac/SMP/etc.

although I was really hoping for UVA. Grrr
VCU is a tough school to get in to. A better approach when you're starting from behind is to work your tail off to improve as much as you can, apply widely, be thrilled at any acceptances you get and learn to love those schools then be totally delighted if you happen to get accepted to a school you had your heart set on in the beginning.

VCU is a tough school to get in to. A better approach when you're starting from behind is to work your tail off to improve as much as you can, apply widely, be thrilled at any acceptances you get and learn to love those schools then be totally delighted if you happen to get accepted to a school you had your heart set on in the beginning.

It's tough to get into? Wow I didn't know. I figured that if avg. GPA is 3.5, then it must not be that hard... sorry I'd research more about these things but I don't have time...GPA improvement time!:D

EVMS seems good too, but I've read mixed things about it on this board.

It's tough to get into? Wow I didn't know. I figured that if avg. GPA is 3.5, then it must not be that hard... sorry I'd research more about these things but I don't have time...GPA improvement time!:D

EVMS seems good too, but I've read mixed things about it on this board.

You can't really set your mind on one school... you have to apply broadly, and anyone on this forum will tell you the same. Some people apply to 10, 20, 30, even 40 med schools all around the country. It's a lot different than transfering from a CC, you can't really just select a college you'd like to go to and go. They are ALL hard to get in to.

Oh wow I cannot believe that I want to go to med school. The thought have been in my mind since Fall'07, but I somehow talked myself out of it and now the desire is back.

I am a Biology major in college, 2nd year. I had a very slow start at a community college and among other gen-ed requirements, I took two calculus classes from there, one general chemistry, and one English. I got Bs in calculus and chemistry, but A in English. Should I retake these classes because I keep hearing that medical schools don't like community college classes?
Right now at my university I'm taking General Chem II, as well as other Biology classes for my major (animal and plant biology).

Also, I lacked motivation to study because I didn't know what to do with my degree.. Now, however, my motivation is over the roof, which is a part of the reason why I think med school is right for me. Right now I have a 3.2 GPA and I can get it up to the competitive 3.6-3.7 by the time I graduate in 2010. However, I am wondering if 3.2 GPA right now would hurt my chances of getting in.

Is two years of volunteer work enough? I have never volunteering in anything. Does it look bad if you start as soon as you switch to pre-med? I feel like schools will think that I did it just to get into medical school, but in reality I want to do it to get some experience, see if work at a medical field is right for me, meet new people, and get that sense of satisfaction when you've helped your community without asking anything in return. In addition to volunteering at a local hospital, I plan on doing small volunteering, like environmental problems, maybe breast cancer awareness, national zoo in DC.

Do you guys think I have any real chances of getting in, especially if my plans for the next two years really happen (they kind of have to, lol.)?

Thanks for your time!

Thats great you have a new found desire for medicine.
I would suggest researching schools and the procces as much as you can, there is a lot of great advice out there you just have to search for it. Also like some have stated before volunteer at a hospital to get a feel for it, also do great on the mcat, Keep your gpa up and do some great EC‘s remember it's not quantity, its quality that counts (and something with leadership would help).

Good Luck :luck:

Thats great you have a new found desire for medicine.
I would suggest researching schools and the procces as much as you can, there is a lot of great advice out there you just have to search for it. Also like some have stated before volunteer at a hospital to get a feel for it, also do great on the mcat, Keep your gpa up and do some great EC‘s remember it’s not quantity, its quality that counts (and something with leadership would help).

Good Luck :luck:

Does volunteering at the hospital count as EC? What about the Zoo? Research at school? Do I have to join a club at school?

You can't really set your mind on one school... you have to apply broadly, and anyone on this forum will tell you the same. Some people apply to 10, 20, 30, even 40 med schools all around the country. It's a lot different than transfering from a CC, you can't really just select a college you'd like to go to and go. They are ALL hard to get in to.

Oh no I wasn't planning on just applying to one... my preference is instate because of the tuition and there are good schools here. I'd probably end up applying to about 40 though, haha ;)

I was wondering if it's worth taking the MCAT prep course? Or should I just study my butt off by myself and if I don't do well, then take the course? I have two years and I feel like this is more than enough time to study for the MCAT.... plus, I can actually look at the types of questions they ask and make sure I study as hard as I can for those topics in school, and review them regularly so I won't forget. I'm going to buy the MCAT prep books this summer.

It works differently for different people. I found I really liked using the prep books because I could focus on the parts I needed to focus on and just review the stuff I knew well. I wasn't tied to a particular schedule and I could study when and how much I wanted. OTOH, a lot of folks like the classes. I didn't take one, so I can't really speak to it, but it does provide additional outside motivation if you find you aren't doing as well as you'd like with the prep books alone.

Just so you know, the Prep books have lots of real MCAT questions and you can always purchase additional questions online for practice tests. You've got plenty of time!

Does volunteering at the hospital count as EC? What about the Zoo? Research at school? Do I have to join a club at school?

Both great EC's. You don't have to join a club at school, but if there's something that you're interested in it could help. Looking "well-rounded" is always a plus. Sounds like you're on the right track!

yes they do, any volunteering is EC's

just dont do as many as you can, do the EC's that you want to do.

Wow, I wish I had my own team of Medical Residents and knowledgeable older premeds to help me when I first decided to go premed.

You'll be fine. Just keep working, one step at a time. Before you know it, you'll be a competitive applicant.

Wow, I wish I had my own team of Medical Residents and knowledgeable older premeds to help me when I first decided to go premed.

When I was a pre-med I didn't even know what a resident was!

Then again, back then, SDN didn't exist, and I took my MCAT on paper. And the applications process wasn't done via the Internet. :)

When I was a pre-med I didn't even know what a resident was!

Then again, back then, SDN didn't exist, and I took my MCAT on paper. And the applications process wasn't done via the Internet. :)

I didn't know for the longest time when I was just considering going to med school. Thanks to Grey's Anatomy I learned a bit, haha;)

You'll be fine. Just keep working, one step at a time. Before you know it, you'll be a competitive applicant.

Well I didn't just decide ;). It was in my mind for awhile but more since september. I just found this forum, so yeah hehe ;) I've learned a lot though! I had no idea what was on the MCAT, what the med school curriculum was, etc, until just a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

Aw thanks! Is it weird that the thought of going to med school always keeps me in a good mood? It's awesome. I've never been so motivated to do good in school and community before.

Both great EC's. You don't have to join a club at school, but if there's something that you're interested in it could help. Looking "well-rounded" is always a plus. Sounds like you're on the right track!

Good. I don't like clubs...;)

Does anyone know if American Red Cross counts for clinical experience? Don't worry. This is NOT the only medicine related place I will volunteer at.. I just want to start somewhere in case all the spots at a hospital are filled since summer is approaching.. or maybe if I get in, do both! hehe ;)

Does anyone know if American Red Cross counts for clinical experience? Don't worry. This is NOT the only medicine related place I will volunteer at.. I just want to start somewhere in case all the spots at a hospital are filled since summer is approaching.. or maybe if I get in, do both! hehe ;)

Depends what you're doing, but chances are no, it's just a nice volunteer activity.

No I dont think it would count as clinical unless its hospital related or when you're dealing with patients.

But the red cross is a great place to start! I'm about to become a first aid/cpr/aed instructor which is a great opportunity and one I'm very excited about :rolleyes: