College Sports, Work and EC's ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanMan48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be playing college football (Div. 3) and even though it's not D-1 ball, it's going to be a major use of my time. How hard do you believe it will be to get in sufficient EC's while playing ball? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, I'm pretty much going to have to work during the summers to help pay some of the tuition I owe each year. Is it possible for me to find paying jobs in the medical field that I can use as EC's? Or am I doomed to only shadow docs for my resume builders? Any help and/or advice for this?

Members don't see this ad.

TrojanMan48 said:
I'm going to be playing college football (Div. 3) and even though it's not D-1 ball, it's going to be a major use of my time. How hard do you believe it will be to get in sufficient EC's while playing ball? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, I'm pretty much going to have to work during the summers to help pay some of the tuition I owe each year. Is it possible for me to find paying jobs in the medical field that I can use as EC's? Or am I doomed to only shadow docs for my resume builders? Any help and/or advice for this?

I play DI basketball. You really just have to manage your time better, but it's nothing that you can't deal with. Not as much time to go out and party, but it's not like you have to stay locked in the library either. Try to get EC's in during the offseason. I shadowed docs over the summer some and worked odd jobs, but if you can get hired by a hospital I don't see why not.

You could try getting trained as an EMT for a summer job, or go into phlebotomy (a lot of hospitals will train you to be a phlebotomist if they hire you). Or you could apply to different research programs. I also played a sport and had a work study job and worked in a lab and took classes during undergrad - you just need to organize your schedule well.

Members don't see this ad :)
willthatsall said:
I play DI basketball. You really just have to manage your time better, but it's nothing that you can't deal with. Not as much time to go out and party, but it's not like you have to stay locked in the library either. Try to get EC's in during the offseason. I shadowed docs over the summer some and worked odd jobs, but if you can get hired by a hospital I don't see why not.

What conference do you play for? A couple of guys I played with in high school either got drafted last month or trying to earn a spot off a summer league roster. Sheer Craziness. The $$$ in pro sports is absolutely ridiculous. And I thought plastics and gas men made bank.

i read that book. whatd you think of all those doctors becoming psychs?

TrojanMan48 said:

You definately can do both at once. Join a research lab-the hours are flexible and sometimes you can even get paid or even get a publication. I played a varsity sport all four years in college (rugby) while doing research in a molecular biology lab. While we were in season (spring semester), we trained 5 days a week with games on saturday and a lift on sunday. Having little or no free time forces you to manage your day better. If you have any questions just send me a PM.

TrojanMan48 said:

Never played college level sports but I was a team manager for the girls basketball team. It is difficult to get involved in everything else and do well in school if you do not manage your time. Luckily though, your real season only lasts from late Aug (early sept) till Dec. at the latest. Afterwards, you have to deal with spring training and all but that does not take much time.
No worries dawg, you can be active!

willthatsall said:

Is that you (da big man) in the picture? Are you center or power forward?

I played a DI sport all 4 years. The guys above said it, time management. You have to take advantage of all breaks from classes and your sport. I had a couple xmas breaks where I shaddowed doctors pretty intensely, 40+ hr/wk, but I think it was good to see the entire day and exprience the entire work week. One of them was in the Peds ICU so I was able to see some pretty interesting stuff. I also worked in a doctors office one summer, made some money and had the perks of watching as many surgeries as I wanted. As for research, clincial research was best for me. I was able to do a lot of the work from my dorm/apt on my own schedule. I would also advise getting involved on the athletics level, if you have an athletes leadership counsel or something of that effect. It's good leadership experience and you'll get to know some of the atheltic dept administrators and could potentially get a stellar letter of rec. PM me if you have any questions.

Wow, thanks for the responses guys.

You guys have convinced me it can work out. I have some good time management experience already, balancing high school, football, work, volunteering, applying for colleges, and social time all this year, so I believe I can work out everything. Thanks guys!

P.S. By the way, what is a phlebotomist?

TrojanMan48 said:
Wow, thanks for the responses guys.

You guys have convinced me it can work out. I have some good time management experience already, balancing high school, football, work, volunteering, applying for colleges, and social time all this year, so I believe I can work out everything. Thanks guys!

P.S. By the way, what is a phlebotomist?

A phlebotomist is someone who draws blood. You have to take a class and be certified by the state to be a phlebotomist in cali. It might be diff. in other states. And if you are interested in that be sure not to mention that you are premed b/c that may turn some people off and make them not want to train you.

College is a different beast dawg! I assume all of us in here were varsity atheletes in high school and were also holding it down in the classroom, working, and volunteering.

Just dont let the ladies and ya boyz on your team side track you. You'll be fine! And be sure to enjoy every aspect of college life. Your football team will be like your family and you will most likely form your strongest bonds with them (at least that's how it was for atheletes at my alma mater). However, branch out and get to know what the rest of college is all about.

Anyways, enough with that....have fun!

I play d3 football and track so I am in a similar position then you. You should have time to do other things besides football, but not as much as someone who isn't playing sports. I would probably call off doing any type of job during the semester unless u can get a work study positition at night on your campus for like 2-3 hours and maybe a couple of nights. But I would only do this if it was some type of joke jobs where u could studying during this time. As far as EC's you could volunteer at the hospital on sundays, but besides that during the football season I am not sure if you could do much more. I am starting a powerlifting club... but then again it wouldn't take up anymore time then I spend at the weight room except for competeting, which will be around 2-3 times a year with the club.

So overall, It won't be that bad... but I would say that if I didn't do both of these sports my GPA would probably be a little bit higher... but I don't really care, I would rather be considered a smart jock then just a nerd by the rest of my friends... haha.

In summer, I don't see why you would have any problem finding a medical related job as anyone else around here (not saying it is that easy).

I played a D-1 sport and agree with all the previous posters about time management. But a great way to use your sport for "extra" ECs is to become team captain or team rep for SAAC or to the department. Going to national/international competitions can be opportunities for unique experiences to write about in essays on interpersonal skills and determination. Our athletic department sponsors volunteer opportunities and those were most of the volunteering that I did because I could do none during the season and alot at the beginning of the semester and less and less as finals got closer.

One other note, be sure to check with your compliance department before you get a job. We were not allowed to work on campus at all during the season and had a yearly cap on how much we could make in a year-even if not on scholarship. I'm pretty sure that got that repealed, but double check on the rules at your school.