College sports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_Bone_Docta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious how college sports look as far as Medical school applications go? I have gotten mixed reviews. I play football at a division 3 college in New York for four years. Obviously it does not make up for terrible grades, but I was just wondering what kind of weight it pulls as far as an application goes. I mean it was a 5 hour time commitment 6 days a week during the fall AND spring semester, so I feel as though med school admissions committees look at a kid who did that, as well as all the "normal" extracurriculars like tutoring, volunteering, shadowing, ect. and managing to maintain a well GPA through all that says a lot. However, my "pre med" club advisor at my school claims playing sports in college are useless and does not help at all to gain matriculation. Any input would be great! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not underestimate the affection that admissions Deans have for student-athletes. Especially those who do well academically.

That said, I have Adcom colleagues who think D3 is a vitamin.

Reactions: 1 users
Do not underestimate the affection that admissions Deans have for student-athletes. Especially those who do well academically.

I was on a very successful d3 swim team (several national championship titles) and have been asked about it in every medical school interview I have attended. They seemed to view it very positively in terms of goal setting, teamwork, time management skills, etc. it’s also a very important factor to most student-athletes lives and stories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

By a vitamin do you mean they see it as much less demanding and time consuming as division 1/ division 2? Would they see a program higher based off athletic prestige? As we have made it to an ECAC bowl game, Final four of the division 3 tournament one year, and the Elite eight of the division 3 football tournament another. So would that be considered as a "higher caliber team" in that regards?

By a vitamin do you mean they see it as much less demanding and time consuming as division 1/ division 2? Would they see a program higher based off athletic prestige? As we have made it to an ECAC bowl game, Final four of the division 3 tournament one year, and the Elite eight of the division 3 football tournament another. So would that be considered as a "higher caliber team" in that regards?

Please tell me you're joking.

Reactions: 4 users
Please tell me you're joking.
I am sorry? No that was a legitimate question. I did not know if they see that as a larger time commitment or not, or even so maybe a better sotry to talk about during interviews. Sorry if I somehow offended you.

I am sorry? No that was a legitimate question. I did not know if they see that as a larger time commitment or not, or even so maybe a better sotry to talk about during interviews. Sorry if I somehow offended you.
Jeeze, when I said that I know adcom members who think that D3 is a vitamin, I meant that literally.

I happen to be married to a Hoosier gal so I know about college sports. But a lot of people don't and no one is going to get more credit for being in D1 vs. D3.

The only thing that will get really get on our radar is an Olympic Athlete or professional ball player

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Best part about being a college athlete is being able to field the "could you tell us how you managed your time/ balance multiple tasks" question. Boom..by being a student-athlete :zip:

D3 is a vitamin.

Reactions: 4 users
It's all in the framing. I played football (small D1-FCS school) and just leaned on the idea that it forced me to manage my time well and taught me how to be self-disciplined and work well with a diverse group of people during interviews/essays. You just have to be somewhat compelling in the how/why for people who may not be familiar with the character building benefits of being a student-athlete.

I can only speak for myself but I played basketball at a top Div2 school and obviously (50hrs ish a week) is a major time commitment with difficult classes. In every interview it has been a central talking point-and of the schools that I have been accepted to, I fall below the average statistics (although I do have good EC’s, a lot of non/and clinical volunteer as wel). I wouldn’t say it will cover “holes” in your app, but I think it would definitely give you a leg up if your app is solid.