• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

determined31

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on college athletics and admission to medical school. Are they good or bad or will it make no diff.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Probably makes no difference as long as the classes you take have good results. Might even be beneficial if you can balance the two and come out on top. Ive heard more good stories about athletes and interviewers connecting than the other way around

tdd340

Assistant to the sensei
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Definetly a plus in my mind and I have heard the same sentiment from admissions people too. Shows you can handle a alot on your plate at one time and its an EC that not anyone can have. As long as your other stuff is competetive (GPA, MCAT, clinical experience) it will definetly be looked at favorably

About the Ads

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
athletics came up in every single one of my interviews. i think it really helped me get accepted because it gave me something relatively unique. it can never be used as an excuse (claiming you 3.0 is due to the fact that you played a college sport), but i think it looks good when you can do school (w/ good grades), the sport and anything else on top of that.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
4 years of varsity soccer, captain senior year. Athletics was mentioned favorably in all of my interviews ( 8 to date and 2 more this month). If your grades and mcat are competitive, an athletic background in college is helpful. But, as people have said, it will not excuse poor academic performance.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
As long as athletics aren't used as an excuse for any poor part of an app, they can only be good. Adcoms realize that a lot more time/effort goes into a college athletic career than VP of the bio club...

mubaseball

10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
In all of my interviews, athletic experience has definately been a positive point in the conversation. A student that can make the same grades and test scores as other competitive applicants while managing an athletic career is definately unique.

odes

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2006
Madison, WI
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
4 years of varsity volleyball was definitely a plus at my alma mater. They were interested in my ability to do so much and keep my grades up. My team's community involvement was also another positive. You can demonstrate that you are well-rounded by doing athletics in addition to all of the things premeds have to accomplish. You just can't substitute athletics for good grades, etc. More power to you if you can do it! Good luck!

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on college athletics and admission to medical school. Are they good or bad or will it make no diff.

actualy if u play Intercollegiate sports...not intramurals...it can help a lot...especially if you are able to maintain your grades

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.