college student looking for some pointers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ironshank

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I can say that I am completely lost as to how to get ready for the application process. In fact I am still wondering whether to look into Osteopathic or allopathic medical schools. I am just finishing my sophmore year but am a late starter I am a Biochem/psych major and am curious how to proceed. it will take me three years to finish both degrees or two to push through the last of my Biochem. I am standing about 3.3 GPA but am planning to retake some of my less then glamourous classes. any pointers on my next step.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it sounds like you have a great plan already set. Repeat those classes and they will significantly help your chances in gaining acceptance in osteopathic programs. Also, you may want to think about shadowing a D.O. or volunteering at a hospital or nursing home. Any other questions?

Feel free to ask. :)

okay
I do have a D.O. who offered to let me shadow him and three other DO's at his practice. I am a NAC and work in a nursing. home But right now I am trying to get accredited as a mental health technician. I was mainly interested in allopathic medical school but as I have looked more into Osteopathic I liek it much more it feels more in line with who I am and how I would help others. I want to do Psychiatry but was curious as to which schools have psychiatry programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although it's true that osteopathic schools concentrate on primary care, I think it's possible for you to choose whatever speciality you prefer. It might be more difficult but it's possible. You may want to consider taking both the COMLEX and the USMLE exams. This will allow you to apply to both osteopathic and allopathic programs, and it may strengthen your chances in getting into the speciality program you desire.

I don't think I have much of anything else to add, but to say that the above posters are right. As an osteopathic med student, specialities are open for you. As far as certain places to attend, they might want to you take the COMLEX as well as the USMLE (that's already been stated above).... Good luck to you!!!