College textbooks as review...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Jay_wannabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had any success with using their college textbooks as a review. I tried examkrackers, but it was confusing.

I like using my textbook, but is that going to hurt anything?
Has anyone tried using their textbook as an exclusive review?

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Dr_Jay_Wannabe

Members don't see this ad.

Don't use your textbooks...that's just way too detailed. What I would suggest is buying a set of princeton or kaplan review books and just thumb through those. Or, if you've already taken the classes and just need to review, buy the Kaplan comprehensive review book. I believe it's like $65 but you'll read everything you need to know for the MCAT.

Unless you just don't understand a concept, don't use your textbooks. Just use a good review book (Ek will be fine) and only use your text as a last resort.

DON'T use your textbooks to study! Like the others have said, it's TOO detailed to study from...even for an 8 hr. exam. You really want to try and stick to the prep books and refer to your textbooks if the prep material is too general. Although there are some tedious details to know, understand the big picture for the important topics. AAMC should have a list of these topics on their website. If you can't find it, I'll be happy to email it to you. Just let me know.

Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What I meant by using my textbook was using aamc's outline and highlighting the concepts. I want to do that because my college textbook is how I learned it in the first place, so I am familiar with the material and the format.

I just found it confusing trying to review with examkrackers when it is taught in a different format. It is honestly easier for me to skim through my text and see how the probelms are worked and summaries of key concepts.
Is this still a bad idea? But I guess everyone studies differently.

Dr_Jay_Wannabe

Dr_Jay_wannabe said:
What I meant by using my textbook was using aamc's outline and highlighting the concepts. I want to do that because my college textbook is how I learned it in the first place, so I am familiar with the material and the format.

I just found it confusing trying to review with examkrackers when it is taught in a different format. It is honestly easier for me to skim through my text and see how the probelms are worked and summaries of key concepts.
Is this still a bad idea? But I guess everyone studies differently.

Dr_Jay_Wannabe

Use your textbooks only to review pertinant material that you do not understand. For example, as i studied with examkrackers I would first use Kaplan to try and clarify something that I did not understand. If that failed, I went to a textbook. It would be very time consuming to just use a textbook, and besides, the review books such as kaplan and EK teach you shortcuts and really help solidify the concepts. Most textbooks would be overkill. Because there is so much info to learn, it is best to first solidfy the concepts, then start learning the nitty gritty details. But, the nitty gritty details will most often be contained in the passage and are not necessarily needed to do well- only needed to help you relax during the test.

I don't think it would be horrible to do what you are saying, just don't get hung up on all the details, you will be wasting your time. I started out using a textbook for physics but it was too lengthy. If you have like a year to study, I might consider what you are saying. Then, during the last 10 weeks go through examkrackers and whatnot.

Get your hands on some used Kaplan or Princeton Review books. They should be easy to find around campus or on Ebay. Best investment I ever made.

Here:

Go online and find the concepts tested by AAMC. Take a review book and read. Areas of weakness SHOULD be referenced in your textbooks.

Thanks Everyone,

I really appreciate the sincere advice.
I like to use Examkrackers for their equations and highlighted phrases, but I don't like reading through their lecture text unless I am just stumped. I also like their section quizes.

Is it smart for me to skip the examkracker text and just read the highlighted materials and notes that they post in bold, yellow, and red?

THanks again for all your help.

Dr_Jay_Wannabe