colleges giving A+'s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Floyd77803

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if admissions commitees take into affect the fact that many state schools don't give A+'s, my school doesn't, If I get 100% on everything I do, I will still only get a 4.00, where as the other applicant could have a 4.2 gpa. No regardless, I don't have a 4.0, and If I did I wouldn't really need a 4.2, but I my gpa would be substantially higher if I had some A+'s in the mix

Members don't see this ad.

It turns out that on your AMCAS application, A+'s don't count, and they are taken into consideration as A's only. This is what the schools see (with exception of the non-AMCAS schools, which are not that many). So, it really doesn't make a difference
smile.gif

I don't think that's correct. AMCAS sends you a copy of your application once it has been completed. This is the same copy as the one sent to the medical schools to which you applied. On my application, A+'s showed up, as did B+'s.

However, AMCAS has a standardized method of calculating gpa, which counts A's and A+'s as the same. They do not use the same formulas as the individual colleges. Thus, the highest you can get is a 4.0, regardless of how many A+'s show up on your application.

[This message has been edited by KMorris3 (edited 11-06-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
There is still a problem however. If you are an A student at a school on the +/- system you are at a disadvantage to your A student counterparts at schools w/o the +/- system. If you get an A- AMCAS counts it as a 3.66. Your A+ still counts as a 4.0, so once you have made an A- (which would have been an A without +/-) you can never bring your GPA back to a 4.0 level.

------------------
Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
-Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

Yep...I was a victim of the "no A+" rule. My graduating gpa came out to a 3.78 because of the two (and ONLY two) C's I made. Other than that I think I got one B+. In many of my courses I had 100+ averages but yet only received an "A"...in other courses I would have something like a 93...and get that 3.7 "A-". It really ticks me off that "C" students can substantially improve their gpa by getting higher grades but those of us that bust butt all along can go nowhere but down once we screw up....
frown.gif

I'm currently at a college that has the A+ system (BTW, A+ and A are both 4.0) I think that the +,- system is actually detremental. If you get any '-' grade you lose your gpa. Sure if you get a B+ you get extra, but does it really compare to all the A- you would get?