colon cancer and cox 2 inhibitors

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by DOindahouse, May 1, 2004.

1. DOindahouse

DOindahouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

does anyone know the indications of using cox 2 inhibitors like vioxx with colon Cancer. Is it advised to take it before Surgery or after. Does anyone know the reason. is it a preventative measure ?
    any sources known?
    thanks

2. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Search PubMed, you'll find a lot. Yes, it is thought to be preventative, i.e., anticarcinogenic for colon cancer.

3. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think that the cox inhibitor protective effect with colon CA hasn't held up under some closer scrutiny. It's also prohibitively expensive to use them for prophylaxis with large groups of people. If I remember correctly the most appropriate use may have been with some of the familial polyposis syndromes where you get hundreds of polyps. I have seen some info about the protective effect (decreased polyps in peer groups involved in the studies of ASA on cardioprotective effects) of daily low-dose aspirin which made sense to me & I started taking 81mg/day a few years ago which is dirt cheap therapy with low morbidity in most.

4. FliteSurgn

FliteSurgn This space for rent.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I second what droliver stated above. Sulindac and COX-2 inhibitors have shown to be somewhat effective in FAP and Gardner's in slowing polyp progression, but I think that ASA alone is adequate for the general population for a little prophylaxis against the development of polyps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...