COLOR BLIND student interested of pursuing a career in hematology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fremitus

BRAIN DOC AND SHRINK
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a color blind medical student who is interested in entering the surgical field. I posted some questions a few weeks ago in the surgical forums and got some motivating replies.

Now this classmate of mine who is also color blind would like to know if he has a chance of making it in the field of ONCOLOGY/HEMATOLOGY. Aside from being my classmate, my friend, my seat mate, this guy happends to be one of the brightest 3rd year medical students in the Philippines.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Color blindness is certainly a disadvantage for a hematologist, but I don't think it's an absolute barrier.

I did a dermatopathology rotation with (arguably) the best dermatopathologist in the US, who is color blind. He has an amazing ability to see various patterns under the microscope that are quite subtle, even to trained pathologists.

With enough practice and training, color blindness shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle to a career in hematology.

Cheers,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins