Colorado and Wake forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have info on these programs (Colorado and Wake)?
Both General Ophthal Residency and Retina.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard a rumor that things aren't great at Colo... Supposedly a year or two ago, the residents wanted to boycott the interview meetings because they couldn't honestly tell the applicants that they were happy with the training there. (this is second or third hand, so take it as you wish) That being said, I have heard that there is a very nice building there, and it's difficult to beat living Denver, especially if you like the mountains. I haven't heard a lot about WF.

It seems that the Colorado program is more competitive than it deserves to be (thanks to it's great location). The rumors I've heard are that they got a new chair a few years ago and she's taking steps to improve the program - but things take time. They take four residents per year and have 2-3 hospitals spread out across Denver that they cover. The new building in Aurora is beautiful, but I don't hold architecture as one of the most important aspects of a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the reasons mentioned above, I wasn't impressed with the Colorado program when I visited. Also, they had only one person doing research, and he was basically working in the basement.

I also think it's a negative when residents have to cover multiple hospitals across a city. Many programs do this, and it's a pain.

What about the Carolina programs?