Colorado D.O medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard any new info on "Rocky Vista" SOM? Will it be available next app cyle?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, at the last AOA Conf, the new Colorado school had applied for provisional accredidation. I havent heard anything about the building plans, etc. I heard it is supposed to be ready for apps for the 2008 year

they should consider changing the name of it...sounds more like a company that sells ski equipment

Members don't see this ad :)
they should consider changing the name of it...sounds more like a company that sells ski equipment

...better than Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (PNUHS or penis)!!!:smuggrin:

...better than Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (PNUHS or penis)!!!:smuggrin:

im sure there'll be a buncha chicks who'd love to go to PENUS.

I'm not privy to all of the details of the Colorado school, but I know that the Dean is going to be Dr. Ronnie Martin. Dr. Martin was one of the Deans at Nova for the last several years and he's a wonderful guy. Besides being an extremely competent leader and a great physician, he happens to be a pretty stand up guy. Give him a couple of years, that school is going to be stellar.

I'm not privy to all of the details of the Colorado school, but I know that the Dean is going to be Dr. Ronnie Martin. Dr. Martin was one of the Deans at Nova for the last several years and he's a wonderful guy. Besides being an extremely competent leader and a great physician, he happens to be a pretty stand up guy. Give him a couple of years, that school is going to be stellar.

lol yeah for those that can afford it ! :eek:

I live close to the proposed location, but good lord the tuition for this school is also going to be " stellar"

What is the tuition going to be?

Well its a "for profit" medical school. Another point, (not sure of relevance for D.O.) But for CU at boulder their MD school is 70,000+ for out of staters :eek:

Not any more, diver. They changed the rules - it's now about $47K/yr every year. You used to pay OOS for the first year, but claim instate after the first year. No longer. So the first year isn't as steep, but you don't get the price break later. It all works out in the end to about the same price, actually.

All DO schools are "for profit", I'm actually impressed that this school is actually admitting it. 47k is pretty rough though. I'm sure you'll get some ski bums who will pay that to go to med school in CO.

All DO schools are "for profit", I'm actually impressed that this school is actually admitting it. 47k is pretty rough though. I'm sure you'll get some ski bums who will pay that to go to med school in CO.
Im honestly curious...what makes a private school (ie not a state school) "for profit" vs. just "private"?

Im honestly curious...what makes a private school (ie not a state school) "for profit" vs. just "private"?

most of them are non-profit, which means they are made to serve a purpose (educate PCPs, whatver) and for profit is made to generate profits for its owners. However, both types want to make money obviously. I think most, if not all, for profit corporations split their profits among their owners at the end of a year. THey can also be sold to another person or company, while nonprofits belong to the public.

i guess I am bad at explaining it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! As a current CO resident, I have heard that this school is going to be in Denver...but where in Denver? Or is it going to be somewhere else in the front range?

As for the ski bums...haha so true!

Let me know if anybody has any more detailed information and if so, where can I get more of it from?

Thanks!

Pretty sure that I read that the school's location will be in Aurora Colorado

just read a great article (it was about 2 years old) about the problems associated with a lot of osteopathic schools being "for profit." I will get the name of it when I go back to school tomorrow (it is posted on one of our boards) so that I can link to it. Great article though. The jist of it was that by having a number of for profit insitutions, osteopathic schools disallow themselves to increase admissions standards because their primary concern will be making money / filling seats...thus as all medical schools (MD/DO) increase class sizes as a result of physician demand, high tuition will prevent osteopathic schools from attracting more competative applicants. They aruge that this will increase the admissions gap with respect to grades / mcats and lead to a further stigma against DO's because of percieved academic inadequacies. I didn't agree with all of it, but it was a great article that raised some great issues.

Last I heard, the school will be in Parker (south-east of Denver), but I haven't heard much more than that.

Nate.

AOA sent out an email newsletter today. Listed Rocky Vista as being in Aurora, CO, and it has been granted pre-accreditation (along with Touro NY).

when you guys interview at these new schools, please ask them if they are going to contribute new internship and residency spots for you as well. med schools seem to be popping up like crazy but I have seen NO increase in internship/residency positions. this is very concerning for all future physicians. a degree without a residency means nothing.

-J

Boulder, Colorado does not have a medical school.

University of Colorado
School of Medicine
4200 East 9th Avenue, C-297
Denver, CO 80262

Well its a "for profit" medical school. Another point, (not sure of relevance for D.O.) But for CU at boulder their MD school is 70,000+ for out of staters :eek:

There are still far more residency positions than US grads. Two thirds of DOs end up in ACGME programs and many AOA slots are unfilled. What is the concern?

when you guys interview at these new schools, please ask them if they are going to contribute new internship and residency spots for you as well. med schools seem to be popping up like crazy but I have seen NO increase in internship/residency positions. this is very concerning for all future physicians. a degree without a residency means nothing.

-J

-J

Patience young grasshopper. Take a look at TUCOM-NV, they haven't even graduated a class yet, but have made an affiliation with the largest hospital system in las vegas, with internerships/residencies in FM/IM/derm with optho pending and possible fellowships in near future.

just read a great article (it was about 2 years old) about the problems associated with a lot of osteopathic schools being "for profit." I will get the name of it when I go back to school tomorrow (it is posted on one of our boards) so that I can link to it. Great article though. The jist of it was that by having a number of for profit insitutions, osteopathic schools disallow themselves to increase admissions standards because their primary concern will be making money / filling seats...thus as all medical schools (MD/DO) increase class sizes as a result of physician demand, high tuition will prevent osteopathic schools from attracting more competative applicants. They aruge that this will increase the admissions gap with respect to grades / mcats and lead to a further stigma against DO's because of percieved academic inadequacies. I didn't agree with all of it, but it was a great article that raised some great issues.

Did you get the name of the article? I'm interested to read it.

Not true. While most are, several are not.

I think you may be confusing "private" with "for profit". I believe the majority of existing DO schools are private, non-profit institutions. Not sure about Touro...?

The Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine is a private, non-profit osteopathic medical school

Midwestern University (MWU) is a non-profit, private, graduate school of medicine

Nova Southeastern University (NSU) is a not-for-profit, independent university,

Western University of Health Sciences (WesternU) is a non-profit, private, graduate school

My understanding was that Rocky mountain will be the first "for profit, private" DO school in the US?

Hey does anyone have any news on what has occurred as of late with this school? I'm interested and I'll be applying within 2 months....

The school will be in Parker, Co despite earlier rumors. My boyfriend is from Parker, and the newspapers have been announcing the groundbreaking there for a month or so. They are accepting for the class of 2008. As with the school in Washington, until the reach full accredidation status, they cannot recruit students. Looks like we may be waiting until applicaitons open to see if that school can be selected.

Hmmm interesting.... Thanks Lucy!

https://www.do-online.org/pdf/pub_do0407schools.pdf

Page 9

Expected to matriculate its first class of 150 students in the fall of 2008, the Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) in Parker, Colo, would focus on training students to become primary care physicians who would serve underserved populations in Colorado and other Rocky Mountain states, says family physician Ronnie B. Martin, DO, the college’s chief executive officer and dean. Granted preaccreditation status from COCA in December 2006, RVUCOM hopes to receive provisional accreditation this spring.

“We would like to put 40% to 50% of our graduates in primary care fields,” Dr Martin notes. “At other medical schools, 80% to 90% of graduates are going into non-primary-care specialties. Dr Martin observes that Colorado is in dire need of physicians. Approximately one-third of the state’s 65 counties either have just one physician or have no physicians, he says. While Colorado is the fifth fastest-growing state, it ranks 31st in the number of physicians graduating from medical school each year. Currently, Colorado has only one medical college—the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center School of Medicine in Denver.

RVUCOM would recruit students first from Colorado and then from Wyoming, Utah, Montana and Idaho, with Coloradans receiving tuition discounts, according to Dr Martin. In the admissions process, the college would favor qualified candidates from rural areas because physicians who practice in rural communities tend to come from such settings.

Ground has been broken and building has begun. The school will be located in Parker CO, near E-470 and Parker Rd. For those not familiar with Colorado, southeast metro area.
The look set to begin the application cycle for 2008!:thumbup:

"Rocky Vista will join the University of Colorado as the second medical school in the state and will be the first osteopathic school. Osteopaths, who have O.D. degrees, have the same level of training as M.D.s, including an internship and residency program. They also are licensed by the state medical board of examiners with the same privileges to practice at hospitals."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/health_care/article/0,2808,DRMN_25396_5439218,00.html

I wonder if this is a typo, or if they really didn't know that we get a DO degree.

There was a correction made in the following edition

From my lovely city newspaper:

School May Ease Doctor Shortage
The Gazette
Debbie Kellev
April something

Local health care officials expect that Colorado's first osteopathic medical school, breaking ground today in southeast Denver; will help ease the physician shortage in Colorado Springs and rural communities in the state.

"Faculty will be training in physician's offices which will bring more physicians to our community, " said Dee Grimes, executive director of the Colorado Springs Osteopathic Foundation.

Primary-care physicians -- the new school's specialty -- are particularly in short supply locally, said Carol Walker; executive vice president of the El Paso County Medical Society and Foundation.

"It's certainly a substantiated need, and we've been working as a community on strategies to fill the gaps," she said. Walker could not provide statistics but said that for the past three years Colorado Springs has been lacking the number of doctors needed to serve the growing population.

The Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine will focus on educating primary-care providers for rural, under-represented, at-risk and underserved populations, said Dr. Ronnie B. Martin, DO, chief academic officer and dean of the new school.

Osteopathic medicine uses common medical procedures and stresses a preventative care, wellness and holistic approach.

The private, for-profit school will spend $105 million on the project, Martin said. Purchasing 40 acres of land at 8201 S. Chambers Road in Parker and constructing a 150,000-square-foot building will cost $40 million. School development will run an additional $35 million, and the company will place $30 million in escrow for legal protection.

The school is scheduled to open in August 2008 with an initial class of 150 students, he said, and will include clinical campuses in Colorado Springs and Pueblo.

The Colorado Springs Osteopathic Foundation will assist with residency training at local doctors' offices, Grimes said. The nonprofit operates a medical clinic for Medicare and retired military patients.

Officials considered many states for a location for what will become the nation's 24th osteopathic medical school, Martin said.

"Colorado had a unique blend of need -- it's the 31st state in the number of medical students graduated, 23rd in terms of physician population, yet it's the fifth-fastest-growing state," Martin said.

Eleven counties in Colorado have one or no physicians serving them, Martin said. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services lists 53 of 64 Colorado counties as rural or "frontier" -- and 75 percent of those are cited as "health professional shortage areas." But the school is gearing up to change that.

"As we train students, we'll encourage them to practice outside the Denver metro area in cities such as Trinidad, Sterling and Wray. Statistics show up to 75 percent of students will stay within 150 of where they train," he said.

School accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation is pending, Martin said. He expects the designation to be granted this fall. The school then can accept applications.

"Our intent is to recruit students that wouldn't have the opportunity to go to medical school otherwise," Martin said.

Students must have a bachelor's degree to enter the school, which will provide four years of education to earn a Doctor of Osteopathy degree and preparation to national certification and license requirements.

The 6 state run Osteopathic colleges are "for profit"? How odd.

This school is definatlely slated to open on time from what I hear. Dr. Martin is from NSU, as well as several of the other faculty members that will be on administration @ that school. We just got word that two or three more will be joining Dr Martin in CO recently.

I wish they'd get a website up already. I am always searching google and looking at SDN for the most current info daily. As an in-state resident I am DEFINATELY going to apply there. I'm just impatient, I guess.

I find the statistics and the whole premise unbelievable. Buyer beware.

The first idea is that Colorado just doesn't have enough doctors. If it is really true that 1/3 of Colorado counties have 1 or 0 doctors, and 11 have 0, then that problem is not going to be solved simply by graduating more doctors with more than $100,000 in debt. Dr. Martin has not at all addressed the issue of how doctors choose what or where to practice. The high debt loads that RVUCOM students will likely carry will lead them to make the same choices as everyone else, which means specialties over primary care, urban over rural, etc.

Dr. Martin also made an amazingly optimistic statement somewhere about recruiting doctors to serve the poor, disadvantaged, minorities, etc.. Every med school in the country would like to know the secret of recruiting and retaining a med student population that will actually predictably go out and serve those most needy patients. None have been successful, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong). The federal and state governments give away money in the form of incentives and student loan repayment, and still have trouble retaining doctors in these communities.

The second issue that I find very interesting is who owns the school: the same family that owns the American University of the Caribbean in St. Maarten. I would like to believe that their interests here are mainly altruistic and motivated by concern for the underserved of Colorado, but let's be honest, if you are a successful businessperson, you are not going to invest a hundred million dollars unless you think you are going to make a profit off it. (If Bill Gates wants to give away money, he sets up a charitable foundation, not a for-profit medical school.)

If you are a prospective student at RVUCOM, it is true that the school will want you to succeed and pass all 4 years of school, get good board scores and match into a good residency position. It will make you a happy alumna/us and it will make them look good and attract future students. However, you will have a ton of debt, and the school's first interest will be receiving your tuition dollars, not ensuring that you have a financially sound plan for your future.

meow, many of us have a ton of debt regardless, especially from Colorado when CU wouldn't look at their in-state applicants. RV COA isn't much higher than many other med schools.

Also, I think folks from outside the denver-metro area have a better chance of getting in at RV (for example, my alma mater hasn't had someone go to CU for as long as anyone can remember - and don't tend to interview many folks from the Western Slope - yes, even those with a 32+ MCAT and 3.7+ GPA). I, for one, would have welcomed the chance to stay in Colorado and would have gone back to a physician-poor area to work gladly. But now that I've uprooted my whole family, who knows where we'll end up.

I think we can all understand people from Colorado wanting to stay at home and go to school in Colorado. I just think the whole premise, that this school will meet the urgent health care needs of the underserved of Colorado, is exceedingly bogus. If they just said, we can see that there are plenty of Colorado students who will pay big bucks to go to school here, then that would be more honest.

I would be amazed if anyone from the Western Slope with a 32+ MCAT and 3.7 UGPA, with no black marks in their past academic record and no other weirdness in their application, failed to get an interview at CU.

Hmmm interesting view... But does anyone have any recent news about the status of the school? Is it still on schedule to matriculate it's first class this fall?

"Rocky Vista will join the University of Colorado as the second medical school in the state and will be the first osteopathic school. Osteopaths, who have O.D. degrees..."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/health_care/article/0,2808,DRMN_25396_5439218,00.html

I wonder if this is a typo, or if they really didn't know that we get a DO degree.

Or maybe they'll make a mistake and give us both degrees. Good deal... John Smith, D.O./O.D.

Talk about a crazy ophthalmology business.

“We would like to put 40% to 50% of our graduates in primary care fields,” Dr Martin notes. “At other medical schools, 80% to 90% of graduates are going into non-primary-care specialties.

80-90%? You sure about that?