Colorado for 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
talipini said:
manipal99: Can you post your stats ?

thnks

Part-1 - 91, GPA-3.94(ECE), Toefl-257.....

Members don't see this ad.

NileBDS said:
Hey Manipal.
Sorry to hear about your rejection. I am sure that a better opportunity awaits you elsewhere, or maybe even next year !
Please do not let this rejection affect you, as you will hear, MANY and MANY very well qualified applicants get truned away each year. It is part of the process.
Good Luck.
Thanks man! I have no clue of how to improve my profile....
well i am goin to give part2 this summer ....lets see ... whts goin to happen in near future

what the f...they send rejection with these stats.. :eek:
dont worry dude u will get much better offers....its their loss not urs

manipal99 said:
Part-1 - 91, GPA-3.94(ECE), Toefl-257.....

Members don't see this ad :)
damast said:
what the f...they send rejection with these stats.. :eek:
dont worry dude u will get much better offers....its their loss not urs

Thanks dude! hope i get something better next year.....

Sorry manipal99. My stats are not better than that. I guess I have no hope. BTW, Did you get interviewed or waiting from anybody ? I am not sure what else can be improved in your portfolio. :( Its already high.

talipini said:
Sorry manipal99. My stats are not better than that. I guess I have no hope. BTW, Did you get interviewed or waiting from anybody ? I am not sure what else can be improved in your portfolio. :( Its already high.

Dont lose hope! I just gave my part-1 in end of january 2006..Applied to Minnesota and Colorado...got rejection from both without interviews.... :(
I think some things are not in your hand ... so its better to relax and wait :)

fido! said:
dude,
they dont look only at the stats!

sorry manipal99!i guess u will have better offers!all the best!

I am sure they dont look only at ur stats......I have no clue what they look for .... I wouldn't have felt that bad if it was after an interview.....Please somebody explain what does overall package means?

totojjang said:
i just spoke to her today too and that's what she told me.
so, have you decided what you are going to do with your interview invitation??
Hi there toto.
Is that what she told you about Manipal's application ? Probably not ... there are 2 interview batches, and from what it seems, they are now deciding about the second interviewee batch.
I guess what I am trying to say is that whatever Jane told you may be relevant to your application, but may not be to others (Mani).

Anyways, I have been accepted at another school, so I really do not see any gain in my attending Colorados interview at this time. If I was still on the Pacific's alternate list (thank GOD i'm not anymore), I would have definitely gone to Colorados interview.

I was planning on calling Jane today to let her know of my decision in order for her to have enough time to hopefully give someone else my spot.

Alright. Thanks for your concern, and I wish you the best of luck.

overall package includes..
your scores,work experience,personal statement,reco letters etc.!
hope i'm not missing anything!
manipal99 said:
I am sure they dont look only at ur stats......I have no clue what they look for .... I wouldn't have felt that bad if it was after an interview.....Please somebody explain what does overall package means?

I think having good stats is very important. But more important is how we present ourselves to the panel through the Personal Statement. The panel will be more interested in students who can present themselves as good future dentists than some one who have good stats and a poor SOP. I do not mean to say thet your SOP is poor... However I think its worth having a second look at it.
Good Luck

fido! said:
overall package includes..
your scores,work experience,personal statement,reco letters etc.!
hope i'm not missing anything!

I think you are right....They have only 20 seats and they have mentioned that they prefer people with Part-2.....

Hopefully part-2, an year of research experience in US, MPH degree will help me get in to some decent school next year.....

forrest24 said:
I think having good stats is very important. But more important is how we present ourselves to the panel through the Personal Statement. The panel will be more interested in students who can present themselves as good future dentists than some one who have good stats and a poor SOP. I do not mean to say thet your SOP is poor... However I think its worth having a second look at it.
Good Luck

I am sure there must be something wrong in my application.....
thats the only reason I got rejected....

But if you think that they look at SOP only ....I am sure u must be knowing that there are websites with harvard graduates makin SOP in 200$....Do u think that will be a valid medium for panel to judge a person.....

Members don't see this ad :)
NileBDS said:
Hi there toto.
Is that what she told you about Manipal's application ? Probably not ... there are 2 interview batches, and from what it seems, they are now deciding about the second interviewee batch.
I guess what I am trying to say is that whatever Jane told you may be relevant to your application, but may not be to others (Mani).

Anyways, I have been accepted at another school, so I really do not see any gain in my attending Colorados interview at this time. If I was still on the Pacific's alternate list (thank GOD i'm not anymore), I would have definitely gone to Colorados interview.

I was planning on calling Jane today to let her know of my decision in order for her to have enough time to hopefully give someone else my spot.

Alright. Thanks for your concern, and I wish you the best of luck.

well, you may be right. But why not go to the interview?? i mean, at least you have been invited. i am still anxiously waiting for my reply. i have a friend who visited colorado dental university in march and she said the school is beautiful. i guess they spent a lot of money into that building. she said its very high tech and the clinics are spectacular. anyways, i guess i wish i could be in your position. good luck to you!

remember,part 2 is not mandatory...!even i got a call from u colorado,2 years back with a part1 score of 85!i never had a part2 score!
may be u need to improve on your work experience.are you currently employed?if you are working in a dental -related field,it will look pretty in your resume and it might fetch you an interview call!
i see no reason for not getting an interview....just work on your work experience!thatz it!
all the best1 :thumbup:
manipal99 said:
I think you are right....They have only 20 seats and they have mentioned that they prefer people with Part-2.....

Hopefully part-2, an year of research experience in US, MPH degree will help me get in to some decent school next year.....

manipal99 said:

But if you think they look at SOP only ....I am sure u must be knowing that there are websites with harvard graduate makin SOP in 200$....Do u think that will be a valid medium for panel to judge a person.....

What you say is true but they cannot invite everyone with good stats. I am sure most of the applicants have good scores, GPA, recos, etc. But what would make you stand out is how you present yourself.
There can be 200$ SOPs but one way they can judge what kind of a person you are by your SOP. If you plagiarized your sop or bought it for 200$ you may get the call but you will not get past the interview.
So dont worry about all that. Just make sure you do justice to whatever is in your hand.
Good Luck..

manipal99 said:
I personally think that you just decided to apply to the wrong schools (I know it was your only option since you just completed part I).
My best guess would be that Colorado rejected your application due to a lack of clinical experience, but again, let's not get carried away by our own speculations ... I am sure that whenever the time is right, they would be more than happy to let you know what your application was lacking, and further offer you advice for improvement.
I can tell you that you have a great chance next year at UPENN, NYU and BU. I am sure many SDNers would agree.
Good Luck.

totojjang said:
well, you may be right. But why not go to the interview?? i mean, at least you have been invited. i am still anxiously waiting for my reply. i have a friend who visited colorado dental university in march and she said the school is beautiful. i guess they spent a lot of money into that building. she said its very high tech and the clinics are spectacular. anyways, i guess i wish i could be in your position. good luck to you!
Well, I thought I would give someone else a chance. I mean I won't go to the interview just for the "heck of it" or to sight-see Colorado, specially when I am sure that someone else could definitely benefit from that opportunity more than myself. I have made up my mind already, and have decided to attend the Pacific.
Colorado University is a great school (with a great football team by the way) and I am sure who ever gets accepted there will be very happy. Also the new clinics that you mentioned should be great !
Good Luck to you too.

NileBDS said:
I personally think that you just decided to apply to the wrong schools (I know it was your only option since you just completed part I).
My best guess would be that Colorado rejected your application due to a lack of clinical experience, but again, let's not get carried away by our own speculations ... I am sure that whenever the time is right, they would be more than happy to let you know what your application was lacking, and further offer you advice for improvement.
I can tell you that you have a great chance next year at UPENN, NYU and BU. I am sure many SDNers would agree.
Good Luck.

I agree with NileBDS.

yup!i do agree! just work on your clinical/working experience!
NileBDS said:
Good Luck.

Hey NileBDS,

thanks for your support...I really appreciate it.....

forrest24 said:
What you say is true but they cannot invite everyone with good stats. I am sure most of the applicants have good scores, GPA, recos, etc. But what would make you stand out is how you present yourself.
There can be 200$ SOPs but one way they can judge what kind of a person you are by your SOP. If you plagiarized your sop or bought it for 200$ you may get the call but you will not get past the interview.
So dont worry about all that. Just make sure you do justice to whatever is in your hand.
Good Luck..

I completely agree with you on that! Thanks

I attended U Colorado interview last year. Needless to say I didn't make it (my crown preparation sucked, one of the dexterity test was less than average). Saying that I was called with average stats and no Part II. Yet at least three students I know with scores between 90 and 93 didn't get an interview call. I was among the first batch in June '05. We were 40 on that day and a minority of students had NBDE I score of 90+. Majority of candidates had scores in 80's. I think for some unknown reason U Colorado prefers candidates with something more than attractive numbers/stats. Personally I have no clue. I say this because......

I have been called for interview yet again :eek:, on May 20. After some deliberation I have made up my mind, e-mailed my acceptance to Jane and booked the flight.

Obviously I am not going there for the 'heck' of it (with due apologies to Sherif). I have been receiving lots of positive feed back from U Colorado's new dental school. Hence my renewed interest about the school and their program. BTW I now have NBDE II as well.

Hey Rahmed

I think they are right about that .....To be very honest If i get in to U penn or some other high profile school ....I wont even think twice about dumping Colorado...I will just lose few months...but getting an education from a high profile schools is definitely worth it.....

ur renewed interest might also be due to possibility of saving 75k :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have been called for interview yet again :eek:, on May 20. After some deliberation I have made up my mind, e-mailed my acceptance to Jane and booked the flight.

Obviously I am not going there for the 'heck' of it (with due apologies to Sherif). I have been receiving lots of positive feed back from U Colorado's new dental school. Hence my renewed interest about the school and their program. BTW I now have NBDE II as well.[/QUOTE]

damast said:
ur renewed interest might also be due to possibility of saving 75k :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ............
[/QUOTE]

With 3% escalation of fees the cost of attendance for Class of 2009 going to be $90,000/ year. So yes in a bid to save $90k :) , to complete the program at least 5 months before NYUCD :laugh: and to get at least an equivalent training (It's difficult to beat NYU in training) I have renewed my interst :D . Saying this currently my first choice is VCU school of dentistry :thumbup: as because it's slightly cheaper than U ColoradoSD and just few miles from my home in Richmond. :cool:

Are you sure the cost is gonna be 90? According to the estimate they gave us the cost was around 76 for the final year and around 244 for the whole program? I hope you're wrong....

With 3% escalation of fees the cost of attendance for Class of 2009 going to be $90,000/ year. So yes in a bid to save $90k :) , to complete the program at least 5 months before NYUCD :laugh: and to get at least an equivalent training (It's difficult to beat NYU in training) I have renewed my interst :D . Saying this currently my first choice is VCU school of dentistry :thumbup: as because it's slightly cheaper than U ColoradoSD and just few miles from my home in Richmond. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yes I also hope I am wrong!!! But with 3% cost escalation $244,643 becomes $251,982.29. I hope I am wrong in that count too and there is no cost escalation for Class of 2009!

All will be revealed in next 2 weeks or so!

Talal said:
Are you sure the cost is gonna be 90? According to the estimate they gave us the cost was around 76 for the final year and around 244 for the whole program? I hope you're wrong....
[/QUOTE]

Hey rahmed

Congrats on your interview call :thumbup: . All the best of luck on your interview. I'm sure you'll do a lot better this time. :D

I have been called for interview yet again , on May 20. After some deliberation I have made up my mind, e-mailed my acceptance to Jane and booked the flight.

all the best,rahmed! :thumbup: i'm sure u r gonna do well this time!

hi everyone,
i think those of you who have the interview on may 20 have already recieved the interview letters............does anyone know if they send out letters for the second batch too at the same time or they do it later????
with an 85 at least colorado should giv me an interview, coz as i read in prev posts, exp matters there and i have a good amt of it both in india and US..............it is so dissappointing not ot even receive interview calls from nyu and colorado with 85........thee is a voice mesg from jane miller at univ of colorado not to inquire abt the application status over the phone, and nyu people said they r almost done with interviews, last will be on may 9, n pretty much everyone will know in a few weeks.........

Congratulations Rahmed on yr call from COlORADO. Good luck :thumbup:

godbless said:
hi everyone,
i think those of you who have the interview on may 20 have already recieved the interview letters............does anyone know if they send out letters for the second batch too at the same time or they do it later????
with an 85 at least colorado should giv me an interview, coz as i read in prev posts, exp matters there and i have a good amt of it both in india and US..............it is so dissappointing not ot even receive interview calls from nyu and colorado with 85........thee is a voice mesg from jane miller at univ of colorado not to inquire abt the application status over the phone, and nyu people said they r almost done with interviews, last will be on may 9, n pretty much everyone will know in a few weeks.........

jane said all results will go out by writing...
did anybody get june interveiw lettes??

totojjang said:
jane said all results will go out by writing...
did anybody get june interveiw lettes??
hi,
did anyone get june interviews????please reply..........

godbless said:
hi,
did anyone get june interviews????please reply..........
I got email from Jane last Friday. She told me that the interview letters for June will be sent out this Monday or Tuesday. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks cheer_up, fido! and dentistjas.

rahmed

dentistken said:
I got email from Jane last Friday. She told me that the interview letters for June will be sent out this Monday or Tuesday. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi dentistken,
thanks for the info.............is it possible to get in touch with jane thru email abt the status of application?coz the voice mail says do not inquire abt the status over phone...........and it is always on voicemail

godbless said:
hi dentistken,
thanks for the info.............is it possible to get in touch with jane thru email abt the status of application?coz the voice mail says do not inquire abt the status over phone...........and it is always on voicemail
Sure, I think it is better to use email than phone call. Try on.

Talal said:

With 3% escalation of fees the cost of attendance for Class of 2009 going to be $90,000/ year. So yes in a bid to save $90k :) , to complete the program at least 5 months before NYUCD :laugh: and to get at least an equivalent training (It's difficult to beat NYU in training) I have renewed my interst :D . Saying this currently my first choice is VCU school of dentistry :thumbup: as because it's slightly cheaper than U ColoradoSD and just few miles from my home in Richmond. :cool:
[/QUOTE]

Hey Talal,
I read your post - VCU school of dentistry also have program for internation dentist? I didn't know that. When I checked their site and read about Advanced standing program - but in that one requirement is residency in US. Please tell me if we could apply there - if yes - then I lost it bcz dead line was 1 april.
Thanks.

Wha t is VCU school :confused:

godbless said:
hi dentistken,
thanks for the info.............is it possible to get in touch with jane thru email abt the status of application?coz the voice mail says do not inquire abt the status over phone...........and it is always on voicemail[/QUO

her phone aways goes to voicemeail cause she's always on the phone or in the clinic...it's faster to write her an email than calling her...at least i got my answers out of her...actually i tried calling her on last saturday and she actually answered...i guess she comes in on saturdays too! try her number during the weekend or afterhours and she might pick up the phone!

totojjang said:
godbless said:
hi dentistken,
thanks for the info.............is it possible to get in touch with jane thru email abt the status of application?coz the voice mail says do not inquire abt the status over phone...........and it is always on voicemail[/QUO

her phone aways goes to voicemeail cause she's always on the phone or in the clinic...it's faster to write her an email than calling her...at least i got my answers out of her...actually i tried calling her on last saturday and she actually answered...i guess she comes in on saturdays too! try her number during the weekend or afterhours and she might pick up the phone!
thanks for ur advice totojjang, i will email her n call her on the weekend......... :thumbup:

Hi,

I got a invitation too, just wondering if someone can give me some suggestion about how to transmit btw the airport and the school. One more thing is that if someone (female)can share the hotel room with me. Thanks!

Hey dreamer. Google is the key.
Try googling "Denver Airport" + "Shuttle" ... you may be surprised ! :)
Try this one. It's the service I used last year, and I can say that it was satisfactory.
http://www.supershuttledenver.com/
Everyone, when you are looking for hotels, try to get one close to the dental school, and ask them if they have shuttle services too (some of them offer it for free within a radius of 5 miles from their location), so they might be able to drop you off and pick you up from the school for free. I did that too and it worked out fine for me.
Good Luck.

dentistdreamer said:
Hi,

I got a invitation too, just wondering if someone can give me some suggestion about how to transmit btw the airport and the school. One more thing is that if someone (female)can share the hotel room with me. Thanks!

Hi,guys,
Do you anyone get detail information for interview with bench test from Colorado dental school? Please post it.
Thanks!

drdt said:
Hi,guys,
Do you anyone get detail information for interview with bench test from Colorado dental school? Please post it.
Thanks!

The instructions for bench test is for individual candidate called for interview and in my understanding is a property of U of Colorado School of dentistry. By posting in this forum any content of that instruction prior to completion of second phase of interview in June 2006 one will be in violation of dissemination of school's private property without prior consent. I strongly recommend the candidates called for interview not to post any part of the instruction without explicit approval from U ColoradoSOD's ISP PD Dr. C. Harvans or Secretary Ms. Jane Miller.

Of course we should be allowed to discuss the interview and practical tests after completion of second phase in June 2006.

Good luck to all 80 candidates.

rahmed

P.S. My opinion, however much controversial it appears, is for the benefit of 80 candidates called / to be called for the interview.

I totally disagree with violations and agree with policies.

However, in this case, this is YOUR (rahmed's) understanding ONLY! what is wrong with discussing what is expeced out of anyone from a given school on a bench test? I mean, there is a whole thread to do with bench tests anyway on this forum. By saying what is expected in a certain year from a certain school is nothing wrong - at the end of the day, the interview is solely based on what you say, the practical test is solely based on what you do and the acceptance is also based on what one individual has accomplished.

Therefore, to state my point clearly... there is no harm in stating what is expected at a practical test because nobody else is going to do the practical for you apart from yourself! What is the harm in helping others who are trying to secure admission. You already have been accepted elsewhere, so its not a major worry to you.. however, it is a big concern to those who have not got a place anywhere. This forum is to help everyone... you dont want to help - DONT POST! But dont discourage others from helping those who ask for help

This is my opinion.

rahmed said:
The instructions for bench test is for individual candidate called for interview and in my understanding is a property of U of Colorado School of dentistry. By posting in this forum any content of that instruction prior to completion of second phase of interview in June 2006 one will be in violation of dissemination of school's private property without prior consent. I strongly recommend the candidates called for interview not to post any part of the instruction without explicit approval from U ColoradoSOD's ISP PD Dr. C. Harvans or Secretary Ms. Jane Miller.

Of course we should be allowed to discuss the interview and practical tests after completion of second phase in June 2006.

Good luck to all 80 candidates.

rahmed

P.S. My opinion, however much controversial it appears, is for the benefit of 80 candidates called / to be called for the interview.

manipal99 said:
Hey Rahmed

I think they are right about that .....To be very honest If i get in to U penn or some other high profile school ....I wont even think twice about dumping Colorado...I will just lose few months...but getting an education from a high profile schools is definitely worth it.....

I was reading all your posts guys and would like to say something. High score is great but does not mean that you really know what you are doing. Usually (not always) people with high score can not do a thing in the patient mouth.
You can wave the high score in front of the patients, but can you cut the onlay or 3/4 crown for them? I know about "high profile" schools a lot and I am glad that you will be one of their students. I am not sure if you will be happy, because they treat their students like sh..t. Of course they like students with high scores, it means for them that they don't have to do a sh..t. As far as I know all they teach is how to refer the patients. NYU accepts 120 students only because they throw away about 30 student during education(very nice school) Now, couple of words about Colorado, may be its not a "high profile" school, but their ISP director and clinical instructor is paying a lot of his attention on clinical skills of the ISP students and they do many things in the clinic that regular dentists don’t even know how to do. Nevertheless, they are one big family and solve all the problems together. I am sorry if I herd someone’s fillings, because my fillings were herd too. Well, enough of this. Now for those who are going for interview make sure that you know how to prep what they want(you guy have adv.,you already know what is going to be on the test), and be yourself on the interview. Don’t give a crap that you are going to practice dentistry for poor people for free , its not true. Be yourself, tell them what they ask, be professionals, DON"T LIE, be confident, show your personality and everything will go right way. I am sorry again and good luck.

P.S. Probably some will argue with me about what I wrote above, please don't, I will not respond anyway. I know CU is very nice school and whoever will get in will not regret it.