Colorado for 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KOUA said:
I was reading all your posts guys and would like to say something. High score is great but does not mean that you really know what you are doing. Usually (not always) people with high score can not do a thing in the patient mouth.
You can wave the high score in front of the patients, but can you cut the onlay or 3/4 crown for them? I know about "high profile" schools a lot and I am glad that you will be one of their students. I am not sure if you will be happy, because they treat their students like sh..t. Of course they like students with high scores, it means for them that they don't have to do a sh..t. As far as I know all they teach is how to refer the patients. NYU accepts 120 students only because they throw away about 30 student during education(very nice school) Now, couple of words about Colorado, may be its not a "high profile" school, but their ISP director and clinical instructor is paying a lot of his attention on clinical skills of the ISP students and they do many things in the clinic that regular dentists don’t even know how to do. Nevertheless, they are one big family and solve all the problems together. I am sorry if I herd someone’s fillings, because my fillings were herd too. Well, enough of this. Now for those who are going for interview make sure that you know how to prep what they want(you guy have adv.,you already know what is going to be on the test), and be yourself on the interview. Don’t give a crap that you are going to practice dentistry for poor people for free , its not true. Be yourself, tell them what they ask, be professionals, DON"T LIE, be confident, show your personality and everything will go right way. I am sorry again and good luck.

P.S. Probably some will argue with me about what I wrote above, please don't, I will not respond anyway. I know CU is very nice school and whoever will get in will not regret it.

Hey

Good post and I do agree with you on a lot of points. I really don't know why some people are so concerned with going to a 'high profile" dental school. To me, all the dental schools in the US (and Canada) are good, otherwise they would not be accredited by the ADA. If you want to specialize later on, just make sure you do well in your courses and the boards and you'll be just as competitive as anyone else when it comes to matching into a specialty. I think what is most important is that one gets a solid dental education with lots of clinical practice and experience and a group of staff that actually cares about its students. I think these are the reasons why I am very attracted to the U. of Colorado. I could care less about the university not being 'high profile'. When you actually go into the real world on your own once you get a degree, it can be very scary especially when you first start out. So you want to go to a school that prepares you well clinically for this.

Members don't see this ad.

cheer_up said:
Hey

Good post and I do agree with you on a lot of points. I really don't know why some people are so concerned with going to a 'high profile" dental school. To me, all the dental schools in the US (and Canada) are good, otherwise they would not be accredited by the ADA. If you want to specialize later on, just make sure you do well in your courses and the boards and you'll be just as competitive as anyone else when it comes to matching into a specialty. I think what is most important is that one gets a solid dental education with lots of clinical practice and experience and a group of staff that actually cares about its students. I think these are the reasons why I am very attracted to the U. of Colorado. I could care less about the university not being 'high profile'. When you actually go into the real world on your own once you get a degree, it can be very scary especially when you first start out. So you want to go to a school that prepares you well clinically for this.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

cheer_up said:
Hey

Thanks for understanding and if you go to CU you will get a lot of clinical experience.You should have seen what kind of patiens they treat, regular students dont even want to look at them.Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not.
Let me tell you why KOUA.

1. First and foremost, it is not fair to attack hard working students who achieve high scores on their boards and round them up in the same basket. It is just not right. These are hard working individuals, and should not be stripped of their relentless efforts just because you think they "can not do a thing in the patient mouth.". Says who ? Says you ? Good for you, but please do not generalize.

2. There is no correlation between clinical skills and board scores. That sounds like an "old wives tale" to me. No merit to it whatsoever.

Can someone with a high board score have poor clinical skills ? Sure. Does that mean that whoever scores high on their boards does ? Definitely not ! Like wise, scoring %75 on your board does not guarantee that you can cut a 3/4 crown blind folded.

3. IT IS A FACT that Colorado University is not a "high profile" dental school. IT IS NOT A FACT that most high achieving students are bad clinicians.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that Colorado is a very good school.

4. Now to make it worse, you claim that all high profile schools do is teach their students how to refer patients out ... that is utterly not true.
Just because you are in a good program, does not allow you by any means to attack any other school or tarnish their reputation based on allegations.

I honestly think that you have done a large group of successful hard working student’s injustice by this controversial post.

Please try to maintain professional ethics towards colleagues enrolled in other programs and do not mislead others yet to apply.

PS: My board scores are %81 and %82
PSS: I interviewed at Colorado last year, waitlisted, and have been invited back this year.
KOUA said:
I was reading all your posts guys and would like to say something. High score is great but does not mean that you really know what you are doing. Usually (not always) people with high score can not do a thing in the patient mouth.
You can wave the high score in front of the patients, but can you cut the onlay or 3/4 crown for them? I know about "high profile" schools a lot and I am glad that you will be one of their students. I am not sure if you will be happy, because they treat their students like sh..t. Of course they like students with high scores, it means for them that they don't have to do a sh..t. As far as I know all they teach is how to refer the patients. NYU accepts 120 students only because they throw away about 30 student during education(very nice school) Now, couple of words about Colorado, may be its not a "high profile" school, but their ISP director and clinical instructor is paying a lot of his attention on clinical skills of the ISP students and they do many things in the clinic that regular dentists don’t even know how to do. Nevertheless, they are one big family and solve all the problems together. I am sorry if I herd someone’s fillings, because my fillings were herd too. Well, enough of this. Now for those who are going for interview make sure that you know how to prep what they want(you guy have adv.,you already know what is going to be on the test), and be yourself on the interview. Don’t give a crap that you are going to practice dentistry for poor people for free , its not true. Be yourself, tell them what they ask, be professionals, DON"T LIE, be confident, show your personality and everything will go right way. I am sorry again and good luck.

P.S. Probably some will argue with me about what I wrote above, please don't, I will not respond anyway. I know CU is very nice school and whoever will get in will not regret it.

I think you are right Maria. Except that for the most part I did not agree with KUOA's post. I thought it was unfair.
My prediction is that this thread will turn pretty ugly pretty quick. ;)

cheer_up said:
Hey

NileBDS said:
I think you are right Maria. Except that for the most part I did not agree with KUOA's post. I thought it was unfair.
My prediction is that this thread will turn pretty ugly pretty quick. ;)

First of all it is not KUOA, its KOUA, second, the only reason I wrote my comments is because I am sick and tired of your whining. If this post turns ugly it’s only because of you. Good luck in your "high profile" school. My last post.

I agree with KOUA.

From now on, when I choose a dentist for my kids, I will pick one from a low profile school with low board scores, because that will mean he is very skilled.

Thanks for the advice!
Pinto

KOUA said:
First of all it is not KUOA, its KOUA, second, the only reason I wrote my comments is because I am sick and tired of your whining. If this post turns ugly it’s only because of you. Good luck in your "high profile" school. My last post.

Wow ... you have some issues ... looks like someone wanted to get into a different school and got rejected.

When did I ever whine about schools?
Did I say that my school was high profiled?

Frankly, you are not obliged to read any of these posts ... if you are sick and tired of other colleagues seeking help and advice, then don't reply to them.

In addition, if you think that I will get into a heated argument with you about this whole matter, I am afraid that you are wrong. I feared that other posters may be offended by your post.

Unlike you, I am a very content person and know very well how to control myself.

pintopasa said:
I agree with KOUA.

From now on, when I choose a dentist for my kids, I will pick one from a low profile school with low board scores, because that will mean he is very skilled.

Thanks for the advice!
Pinto

You meant this sarcastically, right? ;)

Hey Nile and KOUA

Come on, guys, stop fighting over these issues.
I do agree with Nile that you (KOUA) did over-generalize a bit when you stated that "Usually (not always) people with high score can not do a thing in the patient mouth", even though you said "Usually". I think there are just as many dentists with not-so-good clinical skills with high boards scores as there are with lower boards scores. Like Nile said, it takes a lot of hard work to get a great score and I'm sure you know that too. I don't think it's fair to all of those people with great marks with your remarks. This is why I didn't include this issue in my first post. Also, with your "All they teach is refer patients" and that "they treat students like sh...t" are also over generalizations. Maybe some do treat their students like that, but certainly not all of them. I know that you were trying to defend the U of Colorado's reputation against some not-so-good comments about the University, which is a good thing and you're right in doing that because their program is very good even though the university is not considered to be "high profile". However, you did it by bashing other universities, in this case, the "high profile" ones, which I think is not right and a lot of the high achieving students, which is unfair. I think this is what Nile was trying to say. Okay, hope we've reached some middle grounds.

cheer_up said:
Hey Nile and KOUA

Come on, guys, stop fighting over these issues. I do agree with Nile that you (KOUA) did over-generalize a bit when you stated that "Usually (not always) people with high score can not do a thing in the patient mouth",even though you said "Usually". I think there are just as many dentists with not-so-good clinical skills with high boards scores as there are with lower boards scores. Like Nile said, it takes a lot of hard work to get a great score. I don't think it's fair to all of those people with great marks that you said that. This is why I didn't include this issue in my first post.
Hello Maria.

I just want to clarify that I am not fighting with anyone. Sometimes I choose to be a little bit aggressive when dealing with ignorant people. This is by far a personal feud between me and him/her. I could care less.

On a lighter note, how have you been ? How are our neighbors to the north doing ? Are the ice caps melting yet ?
Did you ever sit for your exam yet (EE) ?

pintopasa said:
I agree with KOUA.

Thanks for the advice!
Pinto
:laugh:

NileBDS said:
Hello Maria.

I just want to clarify that I am not fighting with anyone. Sometimes I choose to be a little bit aggressive when dealing with ignorant people. This is by far a personal feud between me and him/her. I could care less.

On a lighter note, how have you been ? How are our neighbors to the north doing ? Are the ice caps melting yet ?

Hey Sheriff

I'm doing okay...I guess. The E.E. is next Saturday..so I'm a bit tense as there is still soooo much to go thru. Oh, well, just trying my best and whatever is meant to happen will happen.

The ice caps have certainly melted up here :laugh: . The weather in Toronto is getting quite nice...not too warm or cold....just how I like it :D

How have you been??

Members don't see this ad :)
NileBDS said:
I do not.
Let me tell you why KOUA.

1. First and foremost, it is not fair to attack hard working students who achieve high scores on their boards and round them up in the same basket. It is just not right. These are hard working individuals, and should not be stripped of their relentless efforts just because you think they "can not do a thing in the patient mouth.". Says who ? Says you ? Good for you, but please do not generalize.

2. There is no correlation between clinical skills and board scores. That sounds like an "old wives tale" to me. No merit to it whatsoever.

Can someone with a high board score have poor clinical skills ? Sure. Does that mean that whoever scores high on their boards does ? Definitely not ! Like wise, scoring %75 on your board does not guarantee that you can cut a 3/4 crown blind folded.

3. IT IS A FACT that Colorado University is not a "high profile" dental school. IT IS NOT A FACT that most high achieving students are bad clinicians.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that Colorado is a very good school.

4. Now to make it worse, you claim that all high profile schools do is teach their students how to refer patients out ... that is utterly not true.
Just because you are in a good program, does not allow you by any means to attack any other school or tarnish their reputation based on allegations.

I honestly think that you have done a large group of successful hard working student’s injustice by this controversial post.

Please try to maintain professional ethics towards colleagues enrolled in other programs and do not mislead others yet to apply.

PS: My board scores are %81 and %82
PSS: I interviewed at Colorado last year, waitlisted, and have been invited back this year.

Well said ....as ever

huh?? :confused:
pintopasa said:
I agree with KOUA.

Thanks for the advice!
Pinto

Hi,
My interview for Colorado is in May 20. If someone(female) want to share a hotel in Denver :) :) (near to dental school much better), please contact with me!
Thanks!

drdt said:
Hi,
My interview for Colorado is in May 20. If someone(female) want to share a hotel in Denver :) :) (near to dental school much better), please contact with me!
Thanks!

Congrats, drdt. All the best with your interview. :D

fido! said:
guys relax.....!lets not fight over a petty matter!just chill!the thread is going way..way..wayward!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :D. Let's all get back to the important issue here, which is the Colorado interviews.

Hi,
Does anyone know if University of Colorado is mailing rejection letters to those not invited for the interview too?
Thanks
dentistcs

Hi,Cheer up,
Thanks! Good luck for all interviews in Colorado!

Hey drdt,

best wishes for your interview at colorado. well done - you are already through to another step and progressing towards a career in dentistry.

could you please post your scores and tell us where are you located? (some of us are still waiting for letters - trying to figure out whether its the mail taking ages to come or is it a rejection coming through)?

best wishes again.. :)

I have an interview on jun 17 and i want to know if somebody (girl ) want to share a room.
My score is 83 on part1.(no part 2)
Did anyboby go at an interview pregnant? what they say about this?

Hi Arua,

Congrats!!!!

Also I am glad they are calling ppl with 83!!
Scores are not everything!!

All the best and good Luck!!

arua said:
I have an interview on jun 17 and i want to know if somebody (girl ) want to share a room.
Hey,congrats on the interview.
My 2 cents-
**Most of time an interview panel is not supposed to ask/discuss personal questions(age,marital status etc.).A good friend of mine (absolutely not in any field related to dentistry) told me that human resource has a matrix of questions which an interview panel is supposed to stick to.
Not sure if the same rule applies to this situation as well.
In any case as it has been said before,be yourself and just 'DO IT'
All the best :luck: :)

arua said:

Congrats, arua. Wish you all the best with your interview. :D .

Hope a lot of us will hear from them soon...whether it be a rejection or an interview invitation.

Wow!!!!
I have not been on the forum for a few days........this Thread looks like a war zone........nice to see active discussion........makes it more interesting.

Nile is always right.......he knows what he is talking about......and made some good points.

Good luck to all those with interview.....UC is a great school.

Jake.

I am new to this forum & I have applied for Colorado. Can any one have an idea of how many students has applied for Colorado this year? When I applied I got an email which was having only around 12 emails & it addressed to All applicants. I was wondering are there only 12 applicants this year for Colorado or they are many more .

JAKE. said:
Wow!!!!
I have not been on the forum for a few days........this Thread looks like a war zone........nice to see active discussion........makes it more interesting.

Nile is always right.......he knows what he is talking about......and made some good points.

Good luck to all those with interview.....UC is a great school.

Jake.

fido! said:
thatz right! :thumbup: so,cheerie, wassup these dayz? ;)

Hey you :)

Nice to hear from you. I'm okay...just busy studying...yeah, what else is new, right??? :smuggrin: . Anyway, what have you been up to these days? Have you got a new job, yet? Hope you're taking it easy and enjoy your time before your classes start. Anyway, will give you a call after my exam. Stay safe and happy and don't get into any kind of trouble.....just joking :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Nile,
You have some issues, doctor.... serious attitude adjustment might be in order for you.
Good luck in your "high profile" school.

Hye

can you please share with me , when did you apply for Colorado.

arua said:

I aplied at the end of march

arua said:

hey arua....i'd like to xtnd my congratulations to ur getting called for the interview. it is increasing my hopes atleast, since my score on part 1 is 82.

best wishes arua.. :)

Hi All,

I tried calling them so many times in the office but they seem fed-up ...nobody is picking up? Does anyone know if they are sending their final 40 calls this week?

sp78 said:
Hi All,

I tried calling them so many times in the office but they seem fed-up ...nobody is picking up? Does anyone know if they are sending their final 40 calls this week?

it says on her message that all responses will be sent by writing...
also there's people who said they are invited to june interview...so i guess all interview letters are out...
i emailed jane and she said she's waiting for june interview confirmation before sending out rejection letters...hopefully i'll be on their waiting list for the interview, but if not, then i guess that's it for me...

NileBDS said:
Hello Maria.

Oh my god !! I cant believe I miss all that....

First of all I want to apologise if I hurt someone's Feelings...especially Koua's....But I think Koua's has got issues in his life......

And NileBDS dude what an analysis of Koua's personality... dude u can make a good fortune out of your psychology skills......

The moment I read Koua's post i was reluctant to argue with him...As I thought a guy who uses sh...t crap to express himself is not even worth arguing for.....But NileBDS did a great job and I totally agree with him.....

I have nothing against colorado......I am sure its a great school....But what i wrote in my previous post was totally my perspective over my preferences....

Manipal99..
can you please stop igniting where there is no fire needed!
that topic of conversation is long over - this thread has resumed its original stand on discussing dentistry at the university of colorado. so please do not take it where it does not belong. it would be great if you could instead contribute something about the program/colorado.

Hi,

I agree please dont make this place a war zone we all are here to help each other and plz try to confine ur personal opinions to yourself about ranking schools All are good as far as we get in one of them .......thanks

Yes I totally agree with you. Already we have so much things to think about.
Already these colleges are making us tensed plz talk only those things which does matter for us right now.

Plz no persoanl things here. there is no doubt people are from different country, culture here so no doubt there will be huges differences in us. so better we don't take personal matters here. and everybody knows how to do personal messgae - PM.
If somebody still want to fight then plz post PM to that person only.

Anyway - I am also waiting for colrado interview letter. but looks like it is not good to wait anymore :confused:

sp78 said:
Hi,

I agree please dont make this place a war zone we all are here to help each other and plz try to confine ur personal opinions to yourself about ranking schools All are good as far as we get in one of them .......thanks

Hey Calality, sp78, Akmount

I apologise....I totally agree with u guys.....

All the best for colorado.....

sp78 said:
Hi,

Hey Calality, sp78, Akmount

I apologise :) ....I totally agree with u guys.....

All the best for colorado :thumbup:

Please if somebody know what kind of teeth will be on the hand skill exam.I mean real teeth or typodont teeth.
Thank you for your answer in advance. :)

typodond teeth

Hi,guys,
anybody know what schedule is for May 20? Bench test is in the morning or at afternoon? please post it. Thanks!

drdt said:
Hi,
Thanks!
hai
heyi got one of my friend who is going for an interview
on the same day ,her number is 502-303-0977
can call her

Hi,profile76,
Thanks for your information! I will call her.

Hi,

I got a chance to talk to Jane yesterday...and she said they will be mailing the list of people for junene very soon. Keeping fingers crossed....lets see...nothing is working out anywhere....its so frustrating. Best of luck to all... :thumbup: