Colorado (OOS) vs. UIC (IS) vs. Minnesota (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cubelife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
School 1: Colorado (OOS)

Pros:
  • Great teamwork-oriented environment
  • ACTS program
Cons:
  • Only Ortho and Perio for specialties & GPR
  • Cost $335,000
School 2: UIC (IS)

Pros:
  • Hometown
  • All Major specialties
  • Good location for Trauma patients
Cons:
  • Cost ($366,000)
  • Chicago not the safest location
School 3: Minnesota (IS)

Pros:
  • Minneapolis is a solid location
  • Plenty of research available
  • Able to get instate tuition
  • Cost ($284,000)
Cons:
  • Heard that the dental building has few windows so it can be depressing to be there lol
  • Spent the last five years in Minnesota… Would like to experience a new scene
Summary:
Although cost is a factor, I’m fortunate enough to be in a position where cost isn’t a determining factor. With that being said, I really want to be at a dental school where I feel comfortable and thrive. I enjoyed my interviews with UIC and Colorado as they felt very genuine and personal. My interview with Minnesota didn’t seem to go too well, but apparently it did. I would say that I’m leaning more towards Colorado, but I am a bit concerned about the small number of specialties offered. I don’t have my heart set on OMFS, but I would like to put myself in a position to succeed if I plan to go that route. I know that you can specialize from any school, but I just want to be certain that I could actually have a chance at matching into a 6-year OMFS residency from a school like Colorado. (Given I earn a High GPA/Class Rank and CBSE). For reference I will include a list of the other schools I was accepted to. Thank you in advance!

Other Acceptances:
  • Temple
  • Tufts
  • Marquette
  • Creighton
  • SIU
  • Utah

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Minnesota, cost may not be the determining factor but going to schools for 284k vs 335k is about a 50k difference.. if you are set on OMFS that’s an additional 50k with possibly 7% interest over 4 years if you’re all federal.. not sure where you live but that could also help lessen the cost if you are able to stay with family but maybe that’s not an option..
what would you do if you applied for a omfs position and they offered a 50k sign on bonus.. plus it’s a good program

Reactions: 3 users
I think you’ve got your figures wrong for CO oos, when I calc’d the cost of attendance a few years ago it ended up being more than 400k. Minnesota all the way, based on cost difference.

I think you’ve got your figures wrong for CO oos, when I calc’d the cost of attendance a few years ago it ended up being more than 400k. Minnesota all the way, based on cost difference.
I just doubled checked their website and it appears that their figures for the class of 2024 differs from the figures found in the ADEA Explorer. The schools website has the COA at $110,000/ year. It's still way more than the cost of Minnesota, but at Colorado I did receive a scholarship that would bring the cost closer to $350,000. Financially speaking I know Minnesota is the clear winner. I just feel like I would enjoy being in Colorado much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I would also like to ask if cost wasn't a factor, what school would you choose?
If cost wasn’t a factor, I’d probably choose CO. But then again, I know nothing about the other two schools, just have a vague idea about their locations. Since you got the scholarship and every school is under 400k, you really wouldn’t go into financial ruin no matter where you went. I personally told myself I’d attend the more preferred program to within a 50k difference, but I realized even with that, I was being extremely generous and it pained me to think about how much 50k can do for someone.

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, I have no clue yet. I always said that if I really liked the state that I went to dental school, that I would stay and practice there.
If so, going to UIC would be invaluable. I really wish I went to my state school so I could start up referral networks.

School 1: Colorado (OOS)

Pros:
  • Great teamwork-oriented environment
  • ACTS program
Cons:
  • Only Ortho and Perio for specialties & GPR
  • Cost $335,000
School 2: UIC (IS)

Pros:
  • Hometown
  • All Major specialties
  • Good location for Trauma patients
Cons:
  • Cost ($366,000)
  • Chicago not the safest location
School 3: Minnesota (IS)

Pros:
  • Minneapolis is a solid location
  • Plenty of research available
  • Able to get instate tuition
  • Cost ($284,000)
Cons:
  • Heard that the dental building has few windows so it can be depressing to be there lol
  • Spent the last five years in Minnesota… Would like to experience a new scene
Summary:
Although cost is a factor, I’m fortunate enough to be in a position where cost isn’t a determining factor. With that being said, I really want to be at a dental school where I feel comfortable and thrive. I enjoyed my interviews with UIC and Colorado as they felt very genuine and personal. My interview with Minnesota didn’t seem to go too well, but apparently it did. I would say that I’m leaning more towards Colorado, but I am a bit concerned about the small number of specialties offered. I don’t have my heart set on OMFS, but I would like to put myself in a position to succeed if I plan to go that route. I know that you can specialize from any school, but I just want to be certain that I could actually have a chance at matching into a 6-year OMFS residency from a school like Colorado. (Given I earn a High GPA/Class Rank and CBSE). For reference I will include a list of the other schools I was accepted to. Thank you in advance!

Other Acceptances:
  • Temple
  • Tufts
  • Marquette
  • Creighton
  • SIU
  • Utah
can I ask why not utah? i know they have a pathways program to prepare you in the field you want to potentially specialize in while also not having specialties there so cases aren't given to residents but to dental students instead.

can I ask why not utah? i know they have a pathways program to prepare you in the field you want to potentially specialize in while also not having specialties there so cases aren't given to residents but to dental students instead.
I think Utah is a great choice too. Very high number of procedures compared to many schools with one of the smallest class sizes in the nation. Very individualized education.

Of course. I really like the unique program that Utah offers, as well as the location. The only reason I decided to stray away from Utah was 1) Cost & 2) Lack of diversity. The school acknowledges that they don't have a very diverse program and are actively taking steps towards making it more diverse and inclusive. If I didn't have offers from more diverse schools than I would most likely attend Utah.

Reactions: 1 users
Of course. I really like the unique program that Utah offers, as well as the location. The only reason I decided to stray away from Utah was 1) Cost & 2) Lack of diversity. The school acknowledges that they don't have a very diverse program and are actively taking steps towards making it more diverse and inclusive. If I didn't have offers from more diverse schools than I would most likely attend Utah.
Oh ok. I wasn’t aware of the lack of diversity! I was asking because I also interviewed at utah(waitlisted)/Colorado/uic and I’m also debating between Colorado and uic

How are you able to get in state for both Minnesota and Illinois?
I'm technically an Illinois resident, but I attended undergrad in Minnesota. The residency requirements for Minnesota require you to live and work in Minnesota for at least 1 year where the primary reason isn't for attending school. So this past year has been my gap year in which I've been working full time. Little bit of finesse lol

very good reasons. you are right about the lack of diversity, Dean Hume (utah) was telling me how they are definitely taking the necessary steps to create a more diverse environment, which is one of the reasons i decided to go for it! did you decide where you will be attending?

very good reasons. you are right about the lack of diversity, Dean Hume (utah) was telling me how they are definitely taking the necessary steps to create a more diverse environment, which is one of the reasons i decided to go for it! did you decide where you will be attending?
Yep, I will be attending Colorado this fall!

Reactions: 2 users