Colorado (OOS) vs. USC vs. Western vs. MWU-AZ vs. OHSU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chipskylark101

Reaction score
School 1: University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (OOS)
Pros:
  • In Denver
  • Scholarship
Cons:
  • Weather
School 2: Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC (OOS)
Pros:
  • In Los Angeles
  • Great location and weather
Cons:
  • Price
School 3: Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (OOS)
Pros:
  • In California
Cons:
  • Have heard location is not the nicest
School 4: Midwestern AZ (OOS)
Pros:
  • In Arizona
  • Hot weather year-round
Cons:
  • Price
School 5: Oregon Health and Sciences University (OOS)
Pros:
  • Great clinic
Cons:
  • Weather
  • Strict Covid restrictions
Summary: I never thought that I would be writing a post like this but here I am. I am so grateful I have choices but I am very torn on where to attend. I am still hopeful that I will hear back from my top #1 school but since I did not hear back on December 1st I have to make a decision on the schools I listed. I know most of the times people just say to pick based on price but that is something I already know. I am looking for any information on these schools that the website does not provide. Some things that are important to me are the clinical experience and how early does sim clinic or clinic starts. I also want to know how friendly the faculty is. I am still not sure if I want to specialize. I also would like to know the grading system since I could not find it for all of these. Weather is also important for me but at the end of the day, I want to go to the best program no matter where it is located. Just any opinions or information that would be helpful to make my decision. Any guidance would be super helpful! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (OOS)
Pros:
  • In Denver
  • Scholarship
Cons:
  • Weather
School 2: Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC (OOS)
Pros:
  • In Los Angeles
  • Great location and weather
Cons:
  • Price
School 3: Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (OOS)
Pros:
  • In California
Cons:
  • Have heard location is not the nicest
School 4: Midwestern AZ (OOS)
Pros:
  • In Arizona
  • Hot weather year-round
Cons:
  • Price
School 5: Oregon Health and Sciences University (OOS)
Pros:
  • Great clinic
Cons:
  • Weather
  • Strict Covid restrictions
Summary: I never thought that I would be writing a post like this but here I am. I am so grateful I have choices but I am very torn on where to attend. I am still hopeful that I will hear back from my top #1 school but since I did not hear back on December 1st I have to make a decision on the schools I listed. I know most of the times people just say to pick based on price but that is something I already know. I am looking for any information on these schools that the website does not provide. Some things that are important to me are the clinical experience and how early does sim clinic or clinic starts. I also want to know how friendly the faculty is. I am still not sure if I want to specialize. I also would like to know the grading system since I could not find it for all of these. Weather is also important for me but at the end of the day, I want to go to the best program no matter where it is located. Just any opinions or information that would be helpful to make my decision. Any guidance would be super helpful! Thank you!
cheapest

Reactions: 1 users
University of Colorado seems like best choice in this list imo. You have listed cost as a con for 2/5 of your options and Denver appeals to you.

interviewed with and accepted at western and was impressed by the faculty and amount of technology. I have talked to students there and the clinical experience is great, with the chance to place implants and such. I would seriously consider it if not for their price

with the chance to place implants and such.

Learning to place implants from some old fart isn't some glorious thing that's worth paying $300k for. So many people learn to do it out of school. Just commenting because I never understood the selling point. 1 or 2 implants isn't going to make a huge difference.

To the OP, Colorado sounds dope. That would be my vote.