Colorado or Case Western??? I'm torn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frubeak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot decide which school to matriculate at, and Case wants an answer by Monday. Any advice?

My reasons for Case: stronger program, better match list, cheaper (slightly), surrounded by great hospitals.

My reasons for Colorado: closer to home (I'm still OOS though), better living environment to have fun in when I'm not studying, seemed to be a more collaborative group of students while I was interviewing there.

Members don't see this ad.

oh, and Case is more diverse.

you should go to case... the fact that I am waitlisted at CU doesn't have anything to do with it....

Members don't see this ad :)
My vote goes to Case. I thought their students were great, and very uncompetitive. Cleveland is not that exciting, but I felt that the students were very tight-knit and had fun things to do together in their free time. Coupled with a great program, cheaper cost, and good hospitals, I think I would go with Case hands down.

Any other opinions? I'm still wrestling with a decision.

Do not think twice. Case is awesome. If I were in your shoes, I would go to Case. Go Now!!!!!!!!

Are you going to pay that absurdly high OOS tuition at Colorado?

I would pick based on cost...

Are you going to pay that absurdly high OOS tuition at Colorado?

I would pick based on cost...

This is a great point, in OH you're "instate" for tuition purposes after 1 year, I believe that you're out-of-state for all four in Colorado?

Quality of living.. I've lived near Denver for a number of years, and in a past life visited Cleveland frequently (monthly) for years. Colorado has much better climate, a huge number of days' sunshine, and very laid back people. (Cleveland people I've met were very friendly too) Midwest winters are horrible (as a native of the midwest) compared to Colorado; in Denver, you're out in a flannel shirt & slippers often in mid-january. I'd pick Colorado versus Case just because its a great state to live in. You can get to the ski resorts probably in 2-2 1/2 hours from campus, Vail is around 3 hrs away, Aspen a bit further but can be done on a weekend. Colorado is great if you love the outdoors, Cleveland likely better if you're into the urban scene.

Much less diversity in Colorado than Cleveland; but when I saw the "dangerous" part of Denver, I almost laughed. Check the crime rate in Denver versus Cleveland. Cleveland from my recollection is one of the most segregated cities in the US, I remember feeling tensions from that when I visited. Less to choose from in the way of food in Colorado, typical fare here is kind of bland. Its dry and tough to grow things.

This is a great point, in OH you're "instate" for tuition purposes after 1 year, I believe that you're out-of-state for all four in Colorado?

Case is private, so there is no break for being in-state.

I would recommend Case to the OP as well. I don't know anything about the curriculum at Colorado but I think that the WR2 is where it's at. Pass/fail for the first two years, and a nice mix of lecture and PBL... can't go wrong.

There's enough to do in Cleveland to "have fun" when you aren't studying. It's not Chicago or New York, but then again neither is Denver. I wouldn't let your view of the students be colored by your interview day alone... did you go to second look at either school? I found the students at Case to be very diverse, as you mentioned, and also very collaborative.

It's true that there are some scary parts of Cleveland, and the segregation is lamentable. The city is working to clean up the areas near the university that have historically been run-down, and I think that once the Euclid Corridor project is finished (supposed to be soon, like this fall) the area next to the Clinic will bloom again.

Case pros: reputation, curriculum, hospital resources, student community
Case cons: Cleveland, the two floors with the lecture rooms are ugly and have no windows

No-brainer, imho :)

I cannot decide which school to matriculate at, and Case wants an answer by Monday. Any advice?

My reasons for Case: stronger program, better match list, cheaper (slightly), surrounded by great hospitals.

My reasons for Colorado: closer to home (I'm still OOS though), better living environment to have fun in when I'm not studying, seemed to be a more collaborative group of students while I was interviewing there.

It sounds like your head is saying Case, but your heart is saying Colorado.

Personally, I would go where you think you'll be happiest and do best. Colorado is a good school too after all.

I've never seen Case but I interviewed at CU and I am currently preparing a big move from Denver to Ohio.

Colorado
Good - Colorado has the awesome new campus.
Bad - I know some rotations have to be done throughout Denver, rather than all at the CU campus.
Bad - New osteopathic school in Denver is taking away some rotations and cadavers (heard this at the CU waitlist meeting last week)
Good - Colorado weather is a million times better than Ohio
Good - Colorado outdoor activities are a million times better than Ohio
Bad - OOS tuition is INSANE in Colorado while Ohio schools give you instate after one year (edit: guess the instate thing doesn't help with Case...but it is still cheaper than Colorado)

I absolutely LOVE Colorado and would love to stay here and go to school, but I would probably choose Case (sight unseen) if I had to move in order to go to either one.