Colorado (RMLEI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphanumeric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on this program from those who have visited or rotated at the RMLEI. I had a great experience during my interview at Colorado, but have heard lots of mixed things on the trail about this program.

Nothing specific, but many have said things like "I wouldn't interview there," "my faculty said there are issues with that program," or "that is a definite red flag program."

As I said, I had a great time on my interview in Denver. I did not sense that they were hiding anything or that the residents were any more or less unhappy than anywhere else.

I know that the former chairperson caused some "waves" a few years ago (and she is still affiliated with the program, part-time), but I sensed that they have moved on from this. Anyways, if anybody has any insight or advice, I would be very appreciative. I just don't want to be blindsided should I end up at this program.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there as well during the trail, and heard similar things.

I have no idea why people keep saying this. Last year they were one of Ophtho Times' best clinical programs (#7 I think). The facilities are beautiful, the people are happy, the city is great, and the faculty seem very young and are making very positive changes.

While I am going to my dream program, I would have been VERY excited to train there. Ignore what others say, if you got a good feeling there...then I would say to rank it where you think it belongs on YOUR rank list. They do just fine landing fellowships as well, with (from memory only) one person going to Wilmer and one going to Jules Stein for retina in the past few years.

Good luck!

A little advice for you and the rest of the current and future applicants. Do not always believe what you hear on the interview trail about programs. I remember hearing all sorts of rumors and opinions about programs when I interviewed for residency 4 years ago and it happened again this past few months when interviewing for fellowship.

For example, see the thread below regarding Indiana U's program. Some jack*** wrote in saying our program was still on probation and having trouble getting off of it. This was simply not true. This is also how stupid rumors about programs get started.

The only way to truly see if you like a program is to interview there and find out for yourself if you like it or not. If you still aren't sure you got the whole story at your interview you can always contact the current or past residents to find out more. Bottom line is don't believe everything you hear from other applicants about programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also was impressed with the program and was hoping to hear impressions from current/former residents or those that may have done an away there.

I know that the former chairperson caused some "waves" a few years ago (and she is still affiliated with the program, part-time), but I sensed that they have moved on from this.

I heard this briefly mentioned during the interview day as well, does anyone know the details as to what happened?