Colorado State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you still needing prerequisites?
I didn’t think so? During summer session 2 I finished biochem so that might be it SS2 was not on the official transcripts)

Members don't see this ad.

Right!!! If I had to guess, it might have something to do with people who had courses in progress who may need to send in their updated transcripts?
Same here ! Lol not sure if it’s a good thing ot a bad thing 😂

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the prov reqmt this morning!
I wish they would send out an email telling us what to do?
I emailed them yesterday to ask if anything needed to be done. I was told that no action is required on my end. If they determine that they need a transcript they will let me know. So I think just hold tight!

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed them yesterday to ask if anything needed to be done. I was told that no action is required on my end. If they determine that they need a transcript they will let me know. So I think just hold tight!
so should we not be concerned if we don't have that? it's stressing me out to the max right now lmao

Reactions: 1 user
so should we not be concerned if we don't have that? it's stressing me out to the max right now lmao
I think don’t be concerned either way at this point (easier said than done, I know!!). My understanding is that no action is required either way, currently. I was told that they will contact students if they need anything from them.

I have a prereq left and I don't have it either, so yes I'm a tad worried. Remember it's not a reflection of yourself, all those people can see is a piece of paper. And paper doesn't really show what makes you beautiful 😊

Reactions: 3 users
I think don’t be concerned either way at this point (easier said than done, I know!!). My understanding is that no action is required either way, currently. I was told that they will contact students if they need anything from them.
Definitely easier said than done at this point in the waiting game 😂

OOS i also got the prov rqmt thing added to my portal this morning. I have some pre-reqs in progress from this semester so idk what it means

It must be for everyone who is remaining credits to complete

Members don't see this ad :)
I have it on mine but I completed everything🙃
I don't have it on my portal and have one outstanding pre-req so it's just a guessing game at this point!! Hopefully they settle our minds soon🙃

yeah i still don't have it either and definitely still need to take biochem so not sure

Same - super nervous 😥
I try to not think this way- but after so many rejections it's hard not to lol. I was looking on the CSA and it said alternates and candidates will be required to upload a PDF of their transcripts. So I think it's likely that the people seeing that are going to be offered either. Maybe it will continue to update for everyone but who knows.

Last edited:
Hi! I applied for the dual DVM-MPH program as well as the DVM. If you applied to both as well, did you hear back for the dual program first and how much sooner? I remember them saying if I got accepted into the dual program I'd be removed from consideration in the DVM only pool, which implies that they make decisions for the dual programs first.
They do decide on combined programs first. I got rejected from the combined program I applied for, but I’m still in consideration for the DVM pool.

i don't know how their ranking system works and what they take into account since they consider themselves holistic.

apparently if you had under the 3.2 gpa early academic review may have already happened? i'm not sure if we'd receive any notice of that. i am not sure if i'd fall into that category, as i really don't know how they'd calculate my gpa. i put my weakest bio lab down, but i've taken higher ranking bio classes with labs -- they just weren't separate from the class.

anyway here's the link: vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/dvm/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/06/dvm-phased-admissions-process1.pdf
That is simply an initial assessment as to whether or not you deserve to be considered with a GPA lower than 3.2. You do not get notified if they pull you out of the running at that time. You find out when everyone else does (last year: invite for interview/rejection, this year: offer/rejection).

That is simply an initial assessment as to whether or not you deserve to be considered with a GPA lower than 3.2. You do not get notified if they pull you out of the running at that time. You find out when everyone else does (last year: invite for interview/rejection, this year: offer/rejection).
So if you had below a 3.2 and they pulled you you would hear at that time, or hear when everyone else does? Like OP - depending on how my GPA is calculated it could be right on the edge so I have been worried but never heard anything

So if you had below a 3.2 and they pulled you you would hear at that time, or hear when everyone else does? Like OP - depending on how my GPA is calculated it could be right on the edge so I have been worried but never heard anything
I think you would hear when everyone else does :(

You wouldn’t hear anything until decisions are released in January. They will not tell you if you didn’t make it past the academic review or you just didn’t get picked in the regular DVM pool.
It sucks, but their reasoning is they want you to move forward after each cycle, not look back. They also don’t offer file reviews if you are rejected... again, because they want you to move forward and pick out how to improve. They also do t always have a hard-wired reason as to why... other than there just weren’t enough spots for stellar candidates.
What I can tell you, they value your current academic trend (upper level course, mostly A’s and some B’s, consistent, heavy caseloads/workloads or combination of the two, etc) way more than the number GPA!!!! So if your GPA is a little lower, but you have a solid and consistent current academic trend, I would not stress as that being a reason for rejection.

• Care
You wouldn’t hear anything until decisions are released in January. They will not tell you if you didn’t make it past the academic review or you just didn’t get picked in the regular DVM pool.
It sucks, but their reasoning is they want you to move forward after each cycle, not look back. They also don’t offer file reviews if you are rejected... again, because they want you to move forward and pick out how to improve. They also do t always have a hard-wired reason as to why... other than there just weren’t enough spots for stellar candidates.
What I can tell you, they value your current academic trend (upper level course, mostly A’s and some B’s, consistent, heavy caseloads/workloads or combination of the two, etc) way more than the number GPA!!!! So if your GPA is a little lower, but you have a solid and consistent current academic trend, I would not stress as that being a reason for rejection.
Thank you so much for responding! I had seen the 3.2 thing online, but it is nice to hear more from others. My final 45 GPA is much much better so fingers crossed that at least helped a little bit

They do decide on combined programs first. I got rejected from the combined program I applied for, but I’m still in consideration for the DVM pool.
Where did you see the rejection? I still haven’t heard anything

So how do you like CSU? What would be your top reasons to pick CSU's DVM program over another veterinary schools? Besides Fort Collins 😂😂
Currently, I'm pretty annoyed with how things are going regarding administration's response to COVID. Undergraduate students are being prioritized by the university instead of their "highly renowned" veterinary students. So I'm currently a little bit bitter. Overall, I do love the school. TLDR: It really is your responsibility to choose what you prioritize the most and then choose the school that best fits your needs. There really isn't anything that would fit for everyone for what you're asking. I know that it's a bit counterintuitive for what you're asking but it's the truth--it's such a personal decision that I cannot really push you one way or another. I also have only ever attended CSU (for veterinary school but also post-secondary education in general) so I can't speak as to why CSU is the perfect choice for you or not.

Background of me first: I am a Washington resident (thus an OOS student). I went to CSU for undergrad because I just loved the campus and felt at home here. I was accepted to three veterinary schools (WSU (my in-state), CSU, and Midwestern). I chose CSU over WSU because I felt way more comfortable here and knew I'd be pretty depressed being stuck in Pullman for four years when it's not somewhere I'd ever want to live long term. I also had a lot of connections in the VTH and with friends here in Fort Collins that I didn't want to erase and start over in a new town. I was also extremely special in the sense that I received a pretty hefty scholarship my first year that only like 2 people are offered each year. There isn't an application for it, they just choose you, so I wouldn't go asking about it, but it did help me know that I had a chunk less in debt and helped me to confirm that I wanted to stay at CSU.

I'm not one of the people that says "go to the cheapest school" but I did recently tell my mom that, had I known COVID was going to happen and that administration at CSU would be doing what they're doing now, maybe I would've just gone to WSU because it's not worth paying for CSU to teach myself if I'd be teaching myself everywhere else. But, also, I'm still happy I chose CSU, I won't ever fully regret it. COVID and online school just makes me extremely bitter. I'm paying $80,000 per year to teach myself how to be a veterinarian right now and I find it pretty ridiculous. I'm aware it's happening everywhere but I think other schools are at least allowing all of their veterinary students MORE of a hybrid course load rather than having everything online and not telling students what will or won't be in-person until the day before classes start.

In non-covid related anger and to actually answer your question, I think CSU is a great school if you're looking for the split didactic/clinics style of learning. Our first year professors are 85% phenomenal and will do everything they can to help you out. Some are just too smart for their own good and are stubborn about their teaching styles and some, while endeared to no end, could be replaced by professors that are more in line with current times. BUT on that topic, most of the professors that I'm referring to are working on retiring or are just being phased out in general. Clinicians are extremely easy to talk to if you're willing to put your name out there and try to make connections. You just have to email someone and they're usually super nice and willing to mentor you and/or help you figure out what you're doing with life. Clubs are basically the same at other schools. Our elective courses are super awesome as well. I took exotic animal anatomy and husbandry last year, swine medicine and Spanish for veterinarians last semester, and am enrolled for principles of shelter medicine and healers art next semester. Electives also don't cost extra in tuition so if you have the brain power and time management to do the electives, DO THEM. We also have some pretty cool annual traditions that the elected executive boards of each class are responsible for putting on (most of which didn't happen this year due to covid but they're worth mentioning if we ever get to go back to normal life): Halloween party, Bar Crawl, Fast and Furriest 5k, and the 4th year Banquet that the third years put on.

I'm a HUGE proponent of being comfortable wherever you choose to go to school. Fort Collins is an excellent place to live. It's the now-fourth (used to be third) largest city in Colorado but it has a smaller community feel. There is a lot to do, whether you're into doing city like things with Old Town and the south Fort Collins shopping centers or the outdoor activities that you have endless access to. My roommate is from Rhode Island and Maine and almost went to Ohio State for veterinary school but she's a HUGE outdoorsman and loves to go hiking and look for wildlife so she chose CSU over OSU because of the access to outdoors, even though OSU would've been much closer to home for her. It's really all about what YOU are looking for.

So their method of looking through files is that they don't even give GPA to the people that read the applications. Dr. Delcambre has specifically said in a pre-veterinary club meeting that I was on a panel for that the application readers do not have access to GPA when they read them, they just look at everything else to make their decisions. But from my understanding, if you have below a 3.2, Dr. Delcambre and her team look deeper into the application before moving it forward for the other application readers. They really do look at every single application by hand.

And yes this is correct, everyone will be receiving their decisions in January. Likely around whenever we would've had interviews. Then all accepted people will be invited to do a virtual mixer (that will be in person once COVID no longer is a big issue) where you can speak with ambassadors and, I believe faculty as well.

Dr. Delcambre has said that academic trends are very important, especially if it seems like you have the lower GPA. Our average accepted GPA is somewhere around 3.5 or something anyway, which is part of the reason why we get so many applicants each year. Also, if you had a reason for your GPA being lower (like work, or a lot of volunteering, or family issues, etc), if you included it in your "Extra information" essay that was optional, you're probably on the right track.

I know it's hard but everyone please just try to relax. You aren't going to rush anything by stressing yourself out. Vet school is stressful enough, so try to save yourself from developing gray hair before you get in. Save the stress for later, basically haha.

And as far as all of the provisional requirements, someone said that they emailed and Dr. Delcambre said not to worry. So what she says goes. Don't worry. Just wait it out. If they need something from you, they will reach out and you'll know.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Currently, I'm pretty annoyed with how things are going regarding administration's response to COVID. Undergraduate students are being prioritized by the university instead of their "highly renowned" veterinary students. So I'm currently a little bit bitter. Overall, I do love the school. TLDR: It really is your responsibility to choose what you prioritize the most and then choose the school that best fits your needs. There really isn't anything that would fit for everyone for what you're asking. I know that it's a bit counterintuitive for what you're asking but it's the truth--it's such a personal decision that I cannot really push you one way or another. I also have only ever attended CSU (for veterinary school but also post-secondary education in general) so I can't speak as to why CSU is the perfect choice for you or not.

Background of me first: I am a Washington resident (thus an OOS student). I went to CSU for undergrad because I just loved the campus and felt at home here. I was accepted to three veterinary schools (WSU (my in-state), CSU, and Midwestern). I chose CSU over WSU because I felt way more comfortable here and knew I'd be pretty depressed being stuck in Pullman for four years when it's not somewhere I'd ever want to live long term. I also had a lot of connections in the VTH and with friends here in Fort Collins that I didn't want to erase and start over in a new town. I was also extremely special in the sense that I received a pretty hefty scholarship my first year that only like 2 people are offered each year. There isn't an application for it, they just choose you, so I wouldn't go asking about it, but it did help me know that I had a chunk less in debt and helped me to confirm that I wanted to stay at CSU.

I'm not one of the people that says "go to the cheapest school" but I did recently tell my mom that, had I known COVID was going to happen and that administration at CSU would be doing what they're doing now, maybe I would've just gone to WSU because it's not worth paying for CSU to teach myself if I'd be teaching myself everywhere else. But, also, I'm still happy I chose CSU, I won't ever fully regret it. COVID and online school just makes me extremely bitter. I'm paying $80,000 per year to teach myself how to be a veterinarian right now and I find it pretty ridiculous. I'm aware it's happening everywhere but I think other schools are at least allowing all of their veterinary students MORE of a hybrid course load rather than having everything online and not telling students what will or won't be in-person until the day before classes start.

In non-covid related anger and to actually answer your question, I think CSU is a great school if you're looking for the split didactic/clinics style of learning. Our first year professors are 85% phenomenal and will do everything they can to help you out. Some are just too smart for their own good and are stubborn about their teaching styles and some, while endeared to no end, could be replaced by professors that are more in line with current times. BUT on that topic, most of the professors that I'm referring to are working on retiring or are just being phased out in general. Clinicians are extremely easy to talk to if you're willing to put your name out there and try to make connections. You just have to email someone and they're usually super nice and willing to mentor you and/or help you figure out what you're doing with life. Clubs are basically the same at other schools. Our elective courses are super awesome as well. I took exotic animal anatomy and husbandry last year, swine medicine and Spanish for veterinarians last semester, and am enrolled for principles of shelter medicine and healers art next semester. Electives also don't cost extra in tuition so if you have the brain power and time management to do the electives, DO THEM. We also have some pretty cool annual traditions that the elected executive boards of each class are responsible for putting on (most of which didn't happen this year due to covid but they're worth mentioning if we ever get to go back to normal life): Halloween party, Bar Crawl, Fast and Furriest 5k, and the 4th year Banquet that the third years put on.

I'm a HUGE proponent of being comfortable wherever you choose to go to school. Fort Collins is an excellent place to live. It's the now-fourth (used to be third) largest city in Colorado but it has a smaller community feel. There is a lot to do, whether you're into doing city like things with Old Town and the south Fort Collins shopping centers or the outdoor activities that you have endless access to. My roommate is from Rhode Island and Maine and almost went to Ohio State for veterinary school but she's a HUGE outdoorsman and loves to go hiking and look for wildlife so she chose CSU over OSU because of the access to outdoors, even though OSU would've been much closer to home for her. It's really all about what YOU are looking for.

So their method of looking through files is that they don't even give GPA to the people that read the applications. Dr. Delcambre has specifically said in a pre-veterinary club meeting that I was on a panel for that the application readers do not have access to GPA when they read them, they just look at everything else to make their decisions. But from my understanding, if you have below a 3.2, Dr. Delcambre and her team look deeper into the application before moving it forward for the other application readers. They really do look at every single application by hand.

And yes this is correct, everyone will be receiving their decisions in January. Likely around whenever we would've had interviews. Then all accepted people will be invited to do a virtual mixer (that will be in person once COVID no longer is a big issue) where you can speak with ambassadors and, I believe faculty as well.

Dr. Delcambre has said that academic trends are very important, especially if it seems like you have the lower GPA. Our average accepted GPA is somewhere around 3.5 or something anyway, which is part of the reason why we get so many applicants each year. Also, if you had a reason for your GPA being lower (like work, or a lot of volunteering, or family issues, etc), if you included it in your "Extra information" essay that was optional, you're probably on the right track.

I know it's hard but everyone please just try to relax. You aren't going to rush anything by stressing yourself out. Vet school is stressful enough, so try to save yourself from developing gray hair before you get in. Save the stress for later, basically haha.

And as far as all of the provisional requirements, someone said that they emailed and Dr. Delcambre said not to worry. So what she says goes. Don't worry. Just wait it out. If they need something from you, they will reach out and you'll know.
Whoa thanks for the in depth reply! I bet everyone here appreciates your point of view and personal experiences at CSU. I can tell you that NCSU CVM does have some sort of hybrid program currently but the majority of it is online. CSU does sound like a good place especially one of the residents did her undergrad at CSU and says it's a great place, besides it being cold. But CSU is one school I'm interested in because I've heard good things about the equine stuff they do there and I wear alot of hunter green clothes too 😂😂

It does sound frustrating, especially with the high tuition in CSU. Are research opportunities and clinical shadowing still a possibility during the pandemic?

Reactions: 1 users
Whoa thanks for the in depth reply! I bet everyone here appreciates your point of view and personal experiences at CSU. I can tell you that NCSU CVM does have some sort of hybrid program currently but the majority of it is online. CSU does sound like a good place especially one of the residents did her undergrad at CSU and says it's a great place, besides it being cold. But CSU is one school I'm interested in because I've heard good things about the equine stuff they do there and I wear alot of hunter green clothes too 😂😂
No problem at all! While typing it I felt like it might've been too long but as long as you got some benefit from reading it all! I know that a lot of other programs are doing some sort of hybrid, I just wish CSU was doing more to prioritize their students that they act like they're so proud of.

I know a couple of residents that went to CSU for their DVM and came back to do their residency here! I think I've only ever heard of one person that ever hated on CSU as a veterinary school for real? There was one DVM that said that CSU was too expensive for what they give, which can sometimes feel true but if it's the right fit for you, I think the comfort is worth the money. The equine program here is expansive as well and they're currently building a brand new equine hospital! I think it'll be available for your class to utilize eventually, but my class will not benefit from it.

Technically it's forest green, rather than hunter but close enough ;)
It does sound frustrating, especially with the high tuition in CSU. Are research opportunities and clinical shadowing still a possibility during the pandemic?
Research opportunities and jobs/some volunteering is still a possibility right now but you do have to look for it. I have two roommates (one in my class and one the year below me), one works as an on-call equine surgical technician and is the coordinator of the foal care team and both are on the large animal emergency team (the second year is the coordinator of LAET). I know numerous friends involved in research, most of which were involved in the summer scholars program. General clinic shadowing doesn't seem to be offered or allowed right now but I'm sure if you asked the right people, they'd let you get involved somehow. You just have to be brave/bold enough to email and ask for the opportunities that you're looking for.

Research opportunities and jobs/some volunteering is still a possibility right now but you do have to look for it. I have two roommates (one in my class and one the year below me), one works as an on-call equine surgical technician and is the coordinator of the foal care team and both are on the large animal emergency team (the second year is the coordinator of LAET). I know numerous friends involved in research, most of which were involved in the summer scholars program. General clinic shadowing doesn't seem to be offered or allowed right now but I'm sure if you asked the right people, they'd let you get involved somehow. You just have to be brave/bold enough to email and ask for the opportunities that you're looking for.
So does CSU have opportunities for students to work on the treatment crews and what not at the hospital? I would be very interested in that I pick stalls and hold patients and that kind of thing currently at NCSU's equine hospital and they have vet students that come in and help with treatments and then a separate "colic-crew" that come in when an after hours colic comes to the hospital and they assist the residents/clinicians that are on call

So does CSU have opportunities for students to work on the treatment crews and what not at the hospital? I would be very interested in that I pick stalls and hold patients and that kind of thing currently at NCSU's equine hospital and they have vet students that come in and help with treatments and then a separate "colic-crew" that come in when an after hours colic comes to the hospital and they assist the residents/clinicians that are on call
We have student hourlies that come in and help the equine technicians. They get on-call shifts and get paid. There are also some students who have worked on barn-crew (strictly cleaning the barn).

Yes we do! I have one classmate that does some overnight shifts in the large animal part of the VTH where he just does general care for the hospitalized patients. My roommate does the large animal on-call surgical tech position where she gets called in for equine surgeries and she gets to help with those. The large animal emergency team (LAET) is an on-call volunteer position through the equine club where you get called in to help and/or watch with surgeries (mostly colics because that's what we get most often). Foal care is also a volunteer position through SCAAEP where you can help care for overnight hospitalized foals if they have one. Edit: Thought of some more equine stuff too. There are also opportunities through the TMI and the equine orthopedic center and the equine reproductive lab (ERL) that you could get involved with if you knew the right people to ask (I don't personally know who to ask but you could probably email around to find something).

There are plenty of other positions within the VTH as well: on call necropsy technicians, on-call and regularly scheduled critical care/emergency technicians/assistants, on-call and regularly scheduled radiology technicians. I also know that the oncology department used to hire one student on to be an extra assistant but that was a special position I think, they might still do it if you make the time in your schedule for it though. There are a lot more but those are the ones I know of.

With some of them, you have to know who to contact to get on the list for them. Others will just be listed on the CSU student employee website, which the new one is kind of really hard to navigate imo.

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully I can relieve some nerves here. When I applied, around this time I also received the Prov Req message on my portal. I had finished my pre reqs in the fall and had sent in my transcript. I emailed Janet and she said that it just takes a while to go through all the applications and update all the portals. It really means nothing if you have all the classes required/are in progress of taking them! Remember they have 3500 applicants so updating every portal takes quite a bit of time.

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know around what day were supposed to hear decisions?

Idk of a specific day... last email they sent it said early-mid January
I honestly really wish places would give set dates, because early-mid January is anywhere in-between the next 7 minutes or 3 weeks from now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
I honestly really wish places would give set dates, because early-mid January is anywhere in-between the next 7 minutes or 3 weeks from now 😂
They don’t give out exact dates because they typically have it 100% planned. I think they give the time period because it gives them wiggle room in case they need more or less time to fully finalize decisions.

I could be wrong but I feel like they’re going to release decisions around when they would’ve done interviews (MLK weekend).

Again, be patient. I know you’re anxious to hear but keep yourself busy and don’t check your email every 2 seconds, it won’t help make you less anxious.

I personally made the CSU admissions email a VIP email address so I’d get an extra specific notification whenever I got an email from them. This personally helped me to not check every five minutes

Reactions: 5 users
I was just denied. I recieved an email at 2am central time citing a status update and my admissions decision was there.

I was just denied. I recieved an email at 2am central time citing a status update and my admissions decision was there.
I was also rejected, sorry to hear that for you😔 my favorite part is they assume I will have the money or ability to apply again next cycle 😂

• Haha
I was also rejected, sorry to hear that for you😔 my favorite part is they assume I will have the money or ability to apply again next cycle 😂
I was also rejected, starting to feel extremely discouraged at this point

Sorry guys! This is such a bummer. I'm waiting to hear back from two schools but I'm fairly certain it's not going to happen for me this year.

I'm certainly bummed but I keep trying to remind myself that all of my favorite doctors I work/worked with had to apply multiple times. With that, I'm still discouraged and wish that someone would give me a chance :(

Also 3500 applicants?! Where did these people come from, with these stats I kind of hope everyone brings back the GRE requirement LOL.

• Care
Sorry guys! This is such a bummer. I'm waiting to hear back from two schools but I'm fairly certain it's not going to happen for me this year.

I'm certainly bummed but I keep trying to remind myself that all of my favorite doctors I work/worked with had to apply multiple times. With that, I'm still discouraged and wish that someone would give me a chance :(

Also 3500 applicants?! Where did these people come from, with these stats I kind of hope everyone brings back the GRE requirement LOL.
I think my GPA is what got me because they suggested I take a graduate program at CSU, I will pray that you get accepted to a school😁 I still have 2 left so I still have hope

I think my GPA is what got me because they suggested I take a graduate program at CSU, I will pray that you get accepted to a school😁 I still have 2 left so I still have hope
They suggested the same thing on mine. Good luck with your remaining schools!

Oos rejected. Good luck to those who made it through

Rejected OOS as well

OOS rejected as well. I love how so many of us are up checking in the middle of the night👍🏻🥲

• Sad
OOS alternate!! 😱 I’m actually shocked I made it to the waitlist!! Does anyone know how far it moves??