Program-Specific Info / Q's Colorado State University??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greyjay

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some more information on this program. Everyone talks about how highly it is ranked and competitive to get into, but I'd like to find out specifics on campus culture, how supportive the faculty is, fieldwork placement process, etc. etc. - the kinds of things you figure out during an interview.

Any current/past/hopeful future students care to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking for some more information on this program. Everyone talks about how highly it is ranked and competitive to get into, but I'd like to find out specifics on campus culture, how supportive the faculty is, fieldwork placement process, etc. etc. - the kinds of things you figure out during an interview.

Any current/past/hopeful future students care to share?
I applied there right out of undergrad and didn't get in but I shadowed with a student that went there. She told me it's a very research heavy program, not as hands on as other programs. That's what made me decide not to apply again but she seemed to really like it. Sorry that's not a lot of info.

Greyjay,
I'm a second year student at CSU and would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
When are we supposed to hear back from CSU?

Usually around the third week of March.
Do you think the program is as great as everyone says? I love what the faculty is researching which is why I applied even though I'm 99% sure my application won't stand out with how they rank people based on the point system. A lot of doctors I work with thought it was a little ridiculous CSU doesn't interview but I totally get it. Do you think the students they choose mesh well together?

Greyjay,
I'm a second year student at CSU and would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Thank you CO OT Guy!!

FACULTY:
I know that this is a research-heavy institution but are faculty members hands-on with and available to students or is research the primary focus?
What is the process for joining onto a professor's research team?

FIELDWORK:
Is CSU involved in any adaptive ski programs for volunteer, fieldworks, etc?
I didn't see any listed but are there international fieldwork opportunities?
Are faculty open to fieldwork locations that aren't already a part of the program?

Thank you CO OT Guy!!

FACULTY:
I know that this is a research-heavy institution but are faculty members hands-on with and available to students or is research the primary focus?
What is the process for joining onto a professor's research team?

FIELDWORK:
Is CSU involved in any adaptive ski programs for volunteer, fieldworks, etc?
I didn't see any listed but are there international fieldwork opportunities?
Are faculty open to fieldwork locations that aren't already a part of the program?

The professor's that teach are very hands on. They are busy but always willing to help or provide guidance.
To join a research team you must apply and be willing to pursue a M.S. degree and thesis. Each professor chooses their research partners and who they will take on.

For fieldwork there is currently one international fieldwork in Australia. Adaptive skiing is currently not a part of the fieldwork sites, but the sites are always changing. CSU is open to new placements, however the process is long and involves lawyers due to liability.
Hope that helps. And I'm happy to answer more questions.

Do you think the program is as great as everyone says? I love what the faculty is researching which is why I applied even though I'm 99% sure my application won't stand out with how they rank people based on the point system. A lot of doctors I work with thought it was a little ridiculous CSU doesn't interview but I totally get it. Do you think the students they choose mesh well together?

The rationale for no interview is to promote fidelity in acceptance or rejection based on merits. The committee only knows scores, GPA, and what you write in your essay, no demographics or other personal info.
I believe the program has its strengths and weaknesses. The faculty are supportive, students bond under the rigor of coursework, and professionalism is instilled throughout. Without an on-site clinic, theory can become overwhelming but fieldwork is interspersed throughout the coursework with level 2s over the summer.

The rationale for no interview is to promote fidelity in acceptance or rejection based on merits. The committee only knows scores, GPA, and what you write in your essay, no demographics or other personal info.
I believe the program has its strengths and weaknesses. The faculty are supportive, students bond under the rigor of coursework, and professionalism is instilled throughout. Without an on-site clinic, theory can become overwhelming but fieldwork is interspersed throughout the coursework with level 2s over the summer.
Thanks for the information, I appreciate your insight!

Thanks for all of your information! I know that this year CSU will be admitting 50 students - do they divide into two cohorts? Do you find that this works well if so? 50 seems like a lot. What does your typical day look like in grad school? Do you have time to utilize the outdoors and have a semblance of a life outside of the program?

They consistently accept 50 students. You are split up for classes but you end up interacting with most everyone. Outside of class there is as much time to spend on outdoor activities as you are willing to allow. So, some weeks you have a lot of free time and others not as much. Lol.
As far as a typical day, there is no such thing. First semester you take a research class, a professional decision making class and lab, as well as fieldwork. Second semester, more time is spent in class with hands on labs and lecture classes as well as fieldwork. Then level II fieldwork over summer. Second year starts with less time in class and more time spent outside on coursework and final semester is filled with preparing for your capstone and mentor projects.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for all of your information! I know that this year CSU will be admitting 50 students - do they divide into two cohorts? Do you find that this works well if so? 50 seems like a lot. What does your typical day look like in grad school? Do you have time to utilize the outdoors and have a semblance of a life outside of the program?

So, it's that time in the waiting cycle where I'm second guessing everything...

I (think) I followed the directions for CSU by NOT sending in transcripts specifically to Colorado. I DID send all transcripts to OTCAS/was verified.
I'm freaking out because when I log back into my app, I see the following:

Your application is currently incomplete. Your application checklist below outlines the remaining items we need to complete your application and begin evaluation. You may upload selected documents directly to your application using the tool below.

Check back regularly and please do not resend documents you have already submitted.

But, then right below it, it says:
Important: For full consideration, the academic department for this program requires that you complete the Occupational Therapist Centralized Application Service (OTCAS) application process in addition to applying to the Graduate School. The OTCAS application process requires official transcripts for all courses completed for college credit, which will be submitted to and reflected in the OTCAS system.

Therefore, you do not need to resubmit those transcripts again within this application.

Below that, it shows:
cancel.png
Awaiting Transcript for XXX
Dates Attended: 1/2016 to 5/2016
cancel.png
Dates Attended: 9/2012 to 6/2016, Degree: BS, Conferred: 6/2016
along with instructions on where to send transcripts.

Am I the only one nervous over how this info is displayed and contradicts itself? Which set of instructions did you follow? Will my app be reviewed if I JUST sent all official transcripts to OTCAS?

Thank you for bearing with me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I can't find it now but I read on the website it is going to say that. Also the last sentence is the confirmation I need: "Therefore, you do not need to resubmit those transcripts again within this application."

It is pretty nerve racking and confusing but this is correct! :)

Reactions: 1 users
So, it's that time in the waiting cycle where I'm second guessing everything...

I (think) I followed the directions for CSU by NOT sending in transcripts specifically to Colorado. I DID send all transcripts to OTCAS/was verified.
I'm freaking out because when I log back into my app, I see the following:

Your application is currently incomplete. Your application checklist below outlines the remaining items we need to complete your application and begin evaluation. You may upload selected documents directly to your application using the tool below.

Check back regularly and please do not resend documents you have already submitted.

But, then right below it, it says:
Important: For full consideration, the academic department for this program requires that you complete the Occupational Therapist Centralized Application Service (OTCAS) application process in addition to applying to the Graduate School. The OTCAS application process requires official transcripts for all courses completed for college credit, which will be submitted to and reflected in the OTCAS system.

Therefore, you do not need to resubmit those transcripts again within this application.

Below that, it shows:
cancel.png
Dates Attended: 1/2016 to 5/2016
cancel.png
Dates Attended: 9/2012 to 6/2016, Degree: BS, Conferred: 6/2016
along with instructions on where to send transcripts.

Am I the only one nervous over how this info is displayed and contradicts itself? Which set of instructions did you follow? Will my app be reviewed if I JUST sent all official transcripts to OTCAS?

Thank you for bearing with me :)
Mine says the same!

Thank you! I feel better now! Seeing all those red check marks and the words "incomplete application" isn't very comforting, but I'm glad I followed directions! About 10 more days of waiting :)

Check your emails! I got an acceptance

I got an acceptance too!! Like everyone else, I wasn't sure I had finished everything I needed to by the deadline and hadn't thought much about CSU in a while. But now I'm accepted and it's back on the top of my list!

Can anyone answer to how research is intertwined in the curriculum? And what aspect(s) of the school make it one of the top rated?? THANKS! And congratulations!

I am currently trying to decide between CSU and another program. My biggest concern about CSU is that it may be more research-based instead of clinical-based. If anyone can speak to this concern, that would be much appreciated.

I am also wondering if anyone might share their experience with (and opinions about) the curriculum. It is very different from the other program I am considering in that it breaks up coursework by age (adult to old age; adolescent, etc.) versus breaking it up by health concern (mental health; neuro; etc.).

I echo both of your concerns! Seems like a really great program in a real nice town but I want to feel prepared to be a clinician once I graduate!

Just found out I was accepted into CSU!!!!!! Seriously one of my dream schools. I'd be an out of state student though so the cost is crazy high for me. I was wondering if any of you know the stats as far as the departmental scholarships and assistantship opportunities awarded to incoming students? I know I missed the March 1st deadline (had no clue that existed, hate myself a bit for that) but I do know they offer others in mid-april/early may.

Just found out I was accepted into CSU!!!!!! Seriously one of my dream schools. I'd be an out of state student though so the cost is crazy high for me. I was wondering if any of you know the stats as far as the departmental scholarships and assistantship opportunities awarded to incoming students? I know I missed the March 1st deadline (had no clue that existed, hate myself a bit for that) but I do know they offer others in mid-april/early may.
I am in the same boat!

To piggy-back off of my other questions, has anyone else only gotten a "provisional" acceptance depending on admittance to the CSU Graduate School? I'm accepted at VCU as well, and they need to know (aka receive a $500 deposit....) by tomorrow so I would like to know how likely it is to be admitted by the graduate school at this point! I've been accepted to the OT PROGRAM but not the CSU graduate school. Very confusing, especially trying to explain it to my family.

I have no missing prerequisites or anything either. If anyone is in the same boat and has more info, please let me know!!

To piggy-back off of my other questions, has anyone else only gotten a "provisional" acceptance depending on admittance to the CSU Graduate School? I'm accepted at VCU as well, and they need to know (aka receive a $500 deposit....) by tomorrow so I would like to know how likely it is to be admitted by the graduate school at this point! I've been accepted to the OT PROGRAM but not the CSU graduate school. Very confusing, especially trying to explain it to my family.

I have no missing prerequisites or anything either. If anyone is in the same boat and has more info, please let me know!!

Hey! So I was also really confused/worried about this so I decided to call them to see what was up. Basically the OT program themselves to not have the authority to accept you into the CSU grad school. They kind of send all your app info over there for review and all you need is a GPA over 3.0 and to have earned a Bachelor's degree (or in the process of earning and will complete by the start of the 2017-18 academic year). They don't anticipate that happening to anyone they selected (obviously!) haha Also, we should be getting an official YES in a few days. If we don't we need to contact them because something happened on their end. Hope this helps! They were very nice over the phone about it and apologized for not being more clear.

Hey! So I was also really confused/worried about this so I decided to call them to see what was up. Basically the OT program themselves to not have the authority to accept you into the CSU grad school. They kind of send all your app info over there for review and all you need is a GPA over 3.0 and to have earned a Bachelor's degree (or in the process of earning and will complete by the start of the 2017-18 academic year). They don't anticipate that happening to anyone they selected (obviously!) haha Also, we should be getting an official YES in a few days. If we don't we need to contact them because something happened on their end. Hope this helps! They were very nice over the phone about it and apologized for not being more clear.

Good to know, thank you for checking!

Is anybody planning to check out the school (if you haven't already) before making a decision? I live in Portland currently so it's not looking real feasible for me to but I am having a hard time accepting an offer when it's the only program I haven't gotten to visit.

Is anybody planning to check out the school (if you haven't already) before making a decision? I live in Portland currently so it's not looking real feasible for me to but I am having a hard time accepting an offer when it's the only program I haven't gotten to visit.

Yeah I'm definitely going to visit. I'm in NY so I'll fly but I think it's worth it.

I'm also planning on visiting. I go to school in Minnesota so I'll fly out, but I do think it will be worth it.

I'm also planning on visiting. I go to school in Minnesota so I'll fly out, but I do think it will be worth it.
I go to school in MN as well! We are planning on driving out next weekend. how fun!

They consistently accept 50 students. You are split up for classes but you end up interacting with most everyone. Outside of class there is as much time to spend on outdoor activities as you are willing to allow. So, some weeks you have a lot of free time and others not as much. Lol.
As far as a typical day, there is no such thing. First semester you take a research class, a professional decision making class and lab, as well as fieldwork. Second semester, more time is spent in class with hands on labs and lecture classes as well as fieldwork. Then level II fieldwork over summer. Second year starts with less time in class and more time spent outside on coursework and final semester is filled with preparing for your capstone and mentor projects.
Hope that helps.

CO OT Guy,

Did you take the MOT or MSOT route? For students pursuing the MOT it looks like there is a lot less research emphasis and more clinical. Would you say this is true?

I go to school in MN as well! We are planning on driving out next weekend. how fun!

How did you like it??? I think I'm going to make a quick trip this weekend!

Has anyone received that other email yet? I got the letter in the mail earlier this week, but still waiting for the graduate school to email me!

Has anyone received that other email yet? I got the letter in the mail earlier this week, but still waiting for the graduate school to email me!
I received the email from Graduate Admissions on Thursday (3/16).

CO OT Guy,

Did you take the MOT or MSOT route? For students pursuing the MOT it looks like there is a lot less research emphasis and more clinical. Would you say this is true?
I took the MOT route. You are correct, the MOT route is more clinical in nature. However, as a whole there is a lot of emphasis on research, both using research to guide practice and how to be reflective and critiquing research. Overall, I feel prepared to enter the workforce as an OT. I believe that the coursework, clinical applications, and fieldworks have given me knowledge about how to find any information I need to be a competent practicioner.

Last edited:
I am currently trying to decide between CSU and another program. My biggest concern about CSU is that it may be more research-based instead of clinical-based. If anyone can speak to this concern, that would be much appreciated.

I am also wondering if anyone might share their experience with (and opinions about) the curriculum. It is very different from the other program I am considering in that it breaks up coursework by age (adult to old age; adolescent, etc.) versus breaking it up by health concern (mental health; neuro; etc.).

Cdot,
Can you be more specific in your question? I could write a paper on my opinions about the curriculum and the setup.

Also, If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm on here. SDN will send an alert to my email and I will respond much much faster.

Last edited:
Hi All! To any of you moving to Fort Collins to attend the OT program at CSU, I have a a great living situation if anyone is interested. I moved here two years ago from Minnesota to attend CSU and it was truly the best situation!

Feel free to send me your email and I can follow up with some pictures and logistics.

Congrats!

Hi All! To any of you moving to Fort Collins to attend the OT program at CSU, I have a a great living situation if anyone is interested. I moved here two years ago from Minnesota to attend CSU and it was truly the best situation!

Feel free to send me your email and I can follow up with some pictures and logistics.

Congrats!

Congrats!

Hello! I am interested in your living situation, can you tell me a little bit more? I currently live in Denver, and Im not sure if the commute will be worth it. I can give you my email, but is there a way to send that privately?