Colorado vs Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesiaappl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really torn between Colorado and Loma Linda and was hoping to get some input from those who are familiar with the 2. I realize the location is a big difference, but putting this aside, do you think one program has an edge over the other in terms of happiness, training, or opportunities after residency? I'm not sure where I want to practice ultimately and in what setting (pp vs academic) or if I will pursue fellowship training. Knowing this, I'm looking for a program that will provide me exceptionally well-balanced training and will offer all of the opportunities I mentioned above upon graduation and happiness while I am in the program. In your opinion, does one of these programs have a "stronger reputation" or any notable differences. The residents at both programs seemed pretty satisfied. I get the impression that Colorado may have a stronger reputation academically at least outside of California (though I realize neither one is an academic powerhouse in the Anesthesia realm). Is this accurate or even divergent enough to really consider? I am truly torn and would appreciate any insights. Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The difference in training probably isn't that different.
The real difference won't be training. It'll be connections.
Go where you think you'd rather live long term.

Thanks gypsy, I appreciate the feedback... What's making this tough is that I really don't know where I want to end up post-residency. I know I want to be out west, but outside of that I'm not really sure. I don't see myself settling in SoCal but NorCal is a viable option for sure, and probably most likely. I guess in this respect Loma Linda may have an edge but I'm not sure and it seems rather presumptive to base my ranking on this. Anyone else with any comments, please post.. It all helps..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, so in reviewing my notes, I guess a few appreciable differences I've noticed are as follows:

1) LL is rolling out an SRNA program.. Not a fan. Especially, in a program that is new and the potential friction/inevitable empirical issues have not been encountered and solved already.
2) LL has Cardio, ICU, and Peds fellowships, and probably a stronger ICU experience at the moment. Colorado has Cards, Peds, and Pain, and will have ICU in the next year or two. Per the PD at Colorado, the ICU fellowship application is already complete, but they want to close it first which is already underway and should be complete sometime within the next year or two. Majority of the ICU attendings are Anesth trained already, so I think over the next few years the ICU experience at the 2 will be essentially equivalent.
3) LL is a slightly bigger at 18, Colorado at 15.
4) I think LL residents probably work slightly fewer hours and have more weekends but I think it is very close.
5) City: yes LA is a short drive, but it is a drive. Denver > Loma Linda in terms of ease of having a social life outside of work.
6) As a single guy as mentioned above, I think Denver would probably be more fruitful

At this point I am leaning Colorado > LL. Any thoughts, please share.

i'm an LLU Ca-1, and i love it there. feel free to ask any specific questions. i don't feel overworked, but still feel like i'm getting a good variety of cases and a good ratio of supervision:autonomy. feel free to ask any questions. i love our program and the environment i work in.

An our CA-1s like ice cream! If you like ice cream, you should come to Loma Linda! :)

if you don't like ice cream, you probably shouldn't come to LLU because it means you don't like puppies or hearts or fun times or great people. IMHO.

How about coffee flavored ice cream?

you can find that elusive coffee ice cream if you look hard enough....the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, if you will.

agree with all 49ers fan said. i also agree with gypsy in that a lot of your residency decision can be geared towards where you want to end up. also, it's pretty easy to have a social life around the IE or in the city, either way.

i would talk to residents from both programs if you can. i think you'll find that the majority of us loma lindans (loma lindites?) would choose it again.

Mmmm... coffee flavored ice cream...

SBucks_coffee_lg.jpg

:highfive: