Colorblind in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike 312

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think I will have problems in med school because of my colorblindness? I took histology in undergrad and it was not a problem. Any other experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy!

One of my classmates is colorblind and he did fine. We are in our third year now. What special problems he might have had, I don't know. But I am sure you will do okay, esp. since you have already experienced histo.

Good Luck!

I am red-green colorblind - or so they tell me. I didn't have any trouble with histology as a grad student before med school- and now I'm in my last year of training. It hasn't bothered me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike32,

Your comments remind me of a similar experience I had, years ago. I was in a microbiology lab, during a quiz, when I called an instructor over to ask about a question on one station. Under the scope, he asked to differentiate the "purple stained" cells. I don't recall what the specimen was, but I do recall saying that they were "all" purple. At this, he said I needed to test for color blindness. I did, and sure enough I was red-green deficient. Too bad I went that far in life without knowing.

good topic.

If histology or immunology or microbiology become a problem with gram stains and thnings like that, there I an alternate stain you can use to help you distinguish G- and G+.
I think its a brown stain that takes the place of the purple.
Ask a professor about this.
I had a colorblind lab partner in microbiology (undergrad) who continually saw all his stains as G+ diplococci. But then again, he was a bit diplococci himself...know what I mean!?

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

I wonder how come? do you drive? You finished all your previous classes without any problems? Do you wear colored clothes?

Originally posted by Realchiro:
Mike32,
I did, and sure enough I was red-green deficient. Too bad I went that far in life without knowing.

good topic.

As posted by youngjoc:

""I wonder how come? do you drive? You finished all your previous classes without any problems? Do you wear colored clothes?""

Actually, I realized that I seemed to prefer alot of bright colors, especially in clothes, as apparently I appreciated them more.....

Interestingly, I had a friend, who was completely color deficient and it showed in his driving. He could not distinguish the yellow light from the red, on a traffic signal, and only did so by their position on the light fixture... It made for some hairy experiences when we went out to party...

interesting post.