Colorblind in med school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Mike 312, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Mike 312

Mike 312 New Member

Does anyone think I will have problems in med school because of my colorblindness? I took histology in undergrad and it was not a problem. Any other experiences?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

Howdy!

One of my classmates is colorblind and he did fine. We are in our third year now. What special problems he might have had, I don't know. But I am sure you will do okay, esp. since you have already experienced histo.

Good Luck!

4. NYChief

NYChief New Member

I am red-green colorblind - or so they tell me. I didn't have any trouble with histology as a grad student before med school- and now I'm in my last year of training. It hasn't bothered me...

5. Realchiro

Realchiro Member

Mike32,

Your comments remind me of a similar experience I had, years ago. I was in a microbiology lab, during a quiz, when I called an instructor over to ask about a question on one station. Under the scope, he asked to differentiate the "purple stained" cells. I don't recall what the specimen was, but I do recall saying that they were "all" purple. At this, he said I needed to test for color blindness. I did, and sure enough I was red-green deficient. Too bad I went that far in life without knowing.

good topic.

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    If histology or immunology or microbiology become a problem with gram stains and thnings like that, there I an alternate stain you can use to help you distinguish G- and G+.
    I think its a brown stain that takes the place of the purple.
    Ask a professor about this.
    I had a colorblind lab partner in microbiology (undergrad) who continually saw all his stains as G+ diplococci. But then again, he was a bit diplococci himself...know what I mean!?

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

7. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

I wonder how come? do you drive? You finished all your previous classes without any problems? Do you wear colored clothes?

8. Realchiro

Realchiro Member

As posted by youngjoc:

""I wonder how come? do you drive? You finished all your previous classes without any problems? Do you wear colored clothes?""

Actually, I realized that I seemed to prefer alot of bright colors, especially in clothes, as apparently I appreciated them more.....

Interestingly, I had a friend, who was completely color deficient and it showed in his driving. He could not distinguish the yellow light from the red, on a traffic signal, and only did so by their position on the light fixture... It made for some hairy experiences when we went out to party...

interesting post.