1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Colorblind in med school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Mike 312, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Mike 312

Mike 312 New Member

Does anyone think I will have problems in med school because of my colorblindness? I took histology in undergrad and it was not a problem. Any other experiences?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Howdy!

One of my classmates is colorblind and he did fine. We are in our third year now. What special problems he might have had, I don't know. But I am sure you will do okay, esp. since you have already experienced histo.

Good Luck!

4. NYChief

NYChief New Member

I am red-green colorblind - or so they tell me. I didn't have any trouble with histology as a grad student before med school- and now I'm in my last year of training. It hasn't bothered me...

5. Realchiro

Realchiro Member
    10+ Year Member

Mike32,

Your comments remind me of a similar experience I had, years ago. I was in a microbiology lab, during a quiz, when I called an instructor over to ask about a question on one station. Under the scope, he asked to differentiate the "purple stained" cells. I don't recall what the specimen was, but I do recall saying that they were "all" purple. At this, he said I needed to test for color blindness. I did, and sure enough I was red-green deficient. Too bad I went that far in life without knowing.

good topic.

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If histology or immunology or microbiology become a problem with gram stains and thnings like that, there I an alternate stain you can use to help you distinguish G- and G+.
    I think its a brown stain that takes the place of the purple.
    Ask a professor about this.
    I had a colorblind lab partner in microbiology (undergrad) who continually saw all his stains as G+ diplococci. But then again, he was a bit diplococci himself...know what I mean!?

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

7. youngjock

youngjock Membership Revoked
    Removed

I wonder how come? do you drive? You finished all your previous classes without any problems? Do you wear colored clothes?

8. Realchiro

Realchiro Member
    10+ Year Member

As posted by youngjoc:

""I wonder how come? do you drive? You finished all your previous classes without any problems? Do you wear colored clothes?""

Actually, I realized that I seemed to prefer alot of bright colors, especially in clothes, as apparently I appreciated them more.....

Interestingly, I had a friend, who was completely color deficient and it showed in his driving. He could not distinguish the yellow light from the red, on a traffic signal, and only did so by their position on the light fixture... It made for some hairy experiences when we went out to party...

interesting post.