Program-Specific Info / Q's Columbia and NYU 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you want neuro rehab you want dawn nilsen and glen Gilen. they prepared me awesome for my neurological rehab career.

I do like neuro-rehab but my #1 choice is peds. How are they with peds at columbia? The problem is, I'm probably gonna have to decline anyway because we don't hear about financial aid until a few weeks in March and to throw $750 as a deposit, nonrefundable, before seeing our package is a bit...harsh. I get it, we might not even get much in the package if anything, but still.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many people apply to NYU and Columbia’s programs?

Does anyone know how many people apply to NYU and Columbia’s programs?

I went to an information session at NYU last year and they said they get around 500 applicants for the OT program

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do like neuro-rehab but my #1 choice is peds. How are they with peds at columbia? The problem is, I'm probably gonna have to decline anyway because we don't hear about financial aid until a few weeks in March and to throw $750 as a deposit, nonrefundable, before seeing our package is a bit...harsh. I get it, we might not even get much in the package if anything, but still.

Let me be honest. My PEDS teacher at the time, she is NO longer the teacher anymore, they found out she had early onset dementia. VERY sad but it is the truth. I do know from talking with friends below me, the had successful pediatric experiences and placements are TOP notch in NYC.

I think that is very harsh. Columbia is expensive and the cost of living is incredible. But they have a lot of connections in NYC and clout if thats somewhere you want to live and start your career. Its multifold. Please PM if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Let me be honest. My PEDS teacher at the time, she is NO longer the teacher anymore, they found out she had early onset dementia. VERY sad but it is the truth. I do know from talking with friends below me, the had successful pediatric experiences and placements are TOP notch in NYC.

I think that is very harsh. Columbia is expensive and the cost of living is incredible. But they have a lot of connections in NYC and clout if thats somewhere you want to live and start your career. Its multifold. Please PM if you have any questions.

I live in NYC and idk where to go because I believe both Columbia and NYU have connections. But one of them is giving me the chance to see if I get at least $1.00 before having to pay a deposit. NYU is also closer to where I live but I'm so close to choosing downstate. The price of the whole program is a little more than the price of one semester at NYU.

I live in NYC and idk where to go because I believe both Columbia and NYU have connections. But one of them is giving me the chance to see if I get at least $1.00 before having to pay a deposit. NYU is also closer to where I live but I'm so close to choosing downstate. The price of the whole program is a little more than the price of one semester at NYU.

Go with downstate! not even a debate.. honestly, school is GREAT but clinical growth and financial freedom (assuming you are paying out of pocket) are way more important.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with downstate! not even a debate.. honestly, school is GREAT but clinical growth and financial freedom (assuming you are paying out of pocket) are way more important.

When people ask me if I've made a decision my response is always "my brain says downstate, my heart says NYU". I think I'm gonna wait for the financial aid package for nyu. I did like the environment at downstate and I trust them to prepare me as a therapist. It's just that I turned down NYU before and I feel like this is my last chance.

My stats aren’t as spectacular as everyone’s here lol.
major: business (decided I wanted to transition into health after)
Cum gpa 3.2 prereq gpa 3.6
Work: nurse aide ; volunteer: nursing home and a children’s OT center.
I believe my personal statement is what did it.
there’s hope for people in my similar situation :)
That’s very good. I have similar stats. I’m only asking because I haven’t heard back either and wanted to see what my chances were

I was waitlisted at NYU! Glad to finally have an update after months of not hearing anything.

Did anybody need to sign the licensure agreement form for NYU?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like a ton of people got waitlisted at NYU. Anyone else waitlisted at Columbia ?

Anyone get info on financial aid packages yet? I know March just started but asking anyway

Did anybody need to sign the licensure agreement form for NYU?
I was accepted, but not sure what that is. Did they email you a licensure agreement form? What kind of licensure is this form for?

I was accepted, but not sure what that is. Did they email you a licensure agreement form? What kind of licensure is this form for?
When you sign in to the application portal to see your decision, it's on the same page. I have not accepted the offer but was able to sign the licensure lol, so you can do that without saying yes yet.

I just got off the waitlist at NYU! I randomly logged into the portal to check. The update was posted this morning.

Hi! I was waitlisted for Columbia's MOT program on February 13th. I was wondering if anyone has heard from their waitlist?

For anyone who is still on the NYU waitlist - did your portal change today? It no longer says my last update (I was waitlisted in February) and just has the waitlist form

For anyone who is still on the NYU waitlist - did your portal change today? It no longer says my last update (I was waitlisted in February) and just has the waitlist form

I just checked and mine looks the same. Did you get an email about remaining on the waitlist?

They extended the deadline to April 30th so expect some to get off the waitlist in this time. I think I'll deny the acceptance since its too expensive...and all this distance learning stuff. Keep your heads up high!

Has anyone been taken off the waitlist for Columbia since February? I wonder how many people are put on the list.... I am still waiting to hear from a New Jersey school! Good luck everyone and hope you are safe/healthy!

Congrats!!!! What were your stats
Thank you!

Major: Psychology
Minor: Kinesiology and Health Education
Overall GPA: 3.85
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Letter of Rec: 1 OT, 1 professor, 1 former boss

Extracurriculars:
-Two years as an officer for an organization for pre-health females
-One year as an officer for pre-OT club on campus
-Mix of medical volunteering (collecting/donating medical supplies, nursing homes, etc)

Work
-Nanny for two years
-Research assistant in pediatric TBI lab ~1 year
-Clinical assistant at a scribing company ~1 year

Observation hours
-100 hours in outpatient pediatrics
-24 hours in home health geriatrics

They extended the deadline to April 30th so expect some to get off the waitlist in this time. I think I'll deny the acceptance since its too expensive...and all this distance learning stuff. Keep your heads up high!

where did you find out that NYU is doing distance learning for this upcoming fall? is this definite?

where did you find out that NYU is doing distance learning for this upcoming fall? is this definite?
I didn't say that they are doing distance learning for fall. They are doing it for Summer so far, however, there is still a chance that they might do it in fall as well. I don't want to be paying so much for the possibility of online classes when there are cheaper programs.

Does NYU offer scholarships/ are they common?

For those who will be attending Columbia or NYU have you heard anything about how classes will be held in the Fall?

They offer scholarships, but the deadline was March 1.
Thanks! I am starting to apply this summer. I have 1 more year of undergrad. From your understanding, are they substantial scholarships? I know that I can not afford that tuition as is and I am trying to figure out if I should even apply. I love the program's curriculum and opportunities.

Thanks! I am starting to apply this summer. I have 1 more year of undergrad. From your understanding, are they substantial scholarships? I know that I can not afford that tuition as is and I am trying to figure out if I should even apply. I love the program's curriculum and opportunities.
Here is my experience. Both NYU and Columbia's programs cost at least $100,000. I applied for 8 scholarhips from NYU (2 of them automatic and based on fafsa, the rest based on essays). I got only one and it was for $7,000 for the YEAR. IN OTHER WORDS, $3,500 per semester and each semester cost $22,000 (tuition only). Not substantial at all. I had been told by people who have attended NYU with great scholarships to BEG for more because they CAN give the money. I begged, they increased it from $7,000 to $10,000 per year. This was still not enough to me considering I could attend a cheaper program at half the price. I also applied for external scholarships but would not be told if I am a finalist until late summer, fall which would mean I'd have to take a big financial risk to attend these programs. Columbia offerred me $10,000 without any scholarships application, so it was a merit scholarship. I declined both since I feel every OT program is preparing you for the NBCOT. Make sure you apply early to their solarships and look for external scholarships and good luck.

Does NYU award ample scholarships to students? I am worried about the cost but I really like the curriculum.
I was given the advice to not take out more than your expected yearly salary after one year in the profession and I made sure to follow that advice. Consider how much extra you would be paying for textbooks, transit, dorming, food, and remember that you may want to take unexpected opportunities like study abroad. Also remember that tuition goes up each year.

Hey, guys I just got off the waitlist ! so there is still hope for those who want NYU. I will be giving up my seat as well. GOOD LUCK!