Columbia and specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week at Columbia, I was told that if you want to specialize, you should go there. How true is that?? I know they have the reputation, but doesnt class ranking matter also? I don't think being at the bottom of the class looks good on a residency application right?
Any input appreciated!

:)

~Qoo

Members don't see this ad.

If you look at Columbia's handbook they clearly state that they don't rank their students. Honestly, if you want to go to a school that has awesome specialty ratings...go to Harvard or UPENN not Columbia. My D3 and D4 friends say they don't even feel comfortable using a high speed drill.

Also, remember AEGD and GPR are also considered "specialties" to all dental schools. If you see a school with an enormous about of people going into GPR's I think it is safe to assume that they did not receive adequate clinical skills to be comfortable with procedures.

DesiDentist

Actually Columbia does rank their top 10 students, but not the other 65 students. FYI 11 students were admitted to oral surgery programs, 8 for ortho, and 2 for endo last year. I don't remember the numbers for the other specialty programs though.

Members don't see this ad :)
After having gone through specialty training myself and after having helped out on the other end during my residency I can say for a fact that nothing will help you better than a high GPA AND NBDE part I scores. You get a 3.6 - 3.7 GPA and 90 or above on the NBDE I chances are you will get into whatever residency you choose (albeit if you apply to more than just a few places) Ortho. may be a little bit more difficult if you just have a 90 and 3.6, but you should get in. I can almost guarentee you would get a spot somewhere in OMS or Pedo. or Perio. There are always a number of spots that go unfilled in OMS. Many programs fill their residency slots post-match. So rather than thinking about what school to go to in order to specialize, think about what school to go to that has the environment for you to make the best grades and prepare you for the NBDE part I the best!!!!! GPA shows the specialty programs that you have the wits to do well in the program and you are a "good learner" and a high NBDE shows the programs that you retain what you learn. Add a few awsome letters of Rec. and be your best at interview time and you will get a slot! I have a friend that graduated from columbia. He says that they tend to have a large number of people that do very well on the NBDE, but that is all I know about columbia (well I have met the Dean at the AAPD meetings [the dean of the dental school is a pediatric dentist and he seems very nice])

That's pretty good that Columbia had 2 people go into endo. I've heard only 6 people in the whole country get into endo straight out of dental school

Originally posted by nug
That's pretty good that Columbia had 2 people go into endo. I've heard only 6 people in the whole country get into endo straight out of dental school

Nug, I think you are mistaken. What you hear about endo spots is wrong. I believe there are around 5-6 slots per participating school.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by DesiDentist
Nug, I think you are mistaken. What you hear about endo spots is wrong. I believe there are around 5-6 slots per participating school.

DesiDentist

No, most schools only have 2 spots. Look in the ASDA guide to post-doc programs. I talked with an endo resident from Baylor and he said he was one of only 6 in the entire country to get in directly out of dental school. So whatever that's worth. I've heard most endo programs won't even look at you unless you have a GPR or private practice experience. All the endo residents at my school are in their late 30s, early 40s.

Wow, I am humbled. However, I do believe there are more than 6 spots in the US for endo. If someone knows for sure
(ehm. Dr. Jeff, Yah-E etc) could you let us know the break down for post-doctorate spots for all the residencies. Thanks.

DesiDentist

so basically the name of the school doesnt matter as long as u have high gpa and board scores? i guess columbia, harvard, upenn and among others prepare u well for the boards?
thanks for all the replies!!!

:love:
~Qoo

Yes there are more than 6 slots for Endo. residencies in the US, however, I think the other person was trying to state that most Endo. residencies do not take people straight out of dental school. Most Endo. programs like their applicants to have more "life experience" they look highly on AEGD's and GPR's also those who have practiced a few years before applying. Although, the general concensus is that Endo. won't take many people straight out of dental school. I know for a fact that it is possible to get into an Endo. prgram straight out, but the grades and NBDE I have gotta be good. I believe at San Antonio they take at least two residents, and at Baylor they take two or three. and Houston should take two, and Oklahoma two, so you have more than 6 right there in just two states.

Qoo,
Yes, basically if you have good gradeas and NBDE then your schools name is not important. If you have mediocre grades and NBDE the name of your school is probably not going to get you into a program. Again, Columbia(from what my friends tell me) has a reputation for training its students very well for the NBDE, but then again so do other schools.