1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Columbia and the Frantz form letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mr burrito, Mar 5, 2007.

?

did you get in / did you you get a Frantz letter

1. I got in! but did not get a Frantz letter

12 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. I got in! and I got a personal letter from the dean

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Waitlist for me! and no I didn't get a letter from Frantz

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Waitlist for me! but as consolation I got this lovely letter from Dean Frantz to cheer me up

26 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well because all the Columbia applicants are learning their fates, I thought it would be fun to shed some light on the 'personal' form letter sent to millions of applicants a year from the ever friendly dean Frantz. an example is below:

Dear Mr. Burrito,

Thank you for a most gracious letter. I too very much enjoyed our interview, and I apprieciate your enthusiasm for P&S.

Although it is too soon to know definitely how things will go this year, I can assure you that we will keep you very strongly in mind. I think you would enjoy being a student at P&S, and from a purely personal point of view I may say that it would give me real pleasure to have you with us.

With all best wishes,
    Sincerely,
    Andrew G Frantz

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dsh

dsh
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My one went something like this: "Thank your for your letter of <date> I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm for P&S. Final decisions will not be made until some time in February, so don't worry about not hearing from us before then. I can assure you that we will keep you very strongly in mind."

I am super nervous right now, I'm expecting to receive the letter (good or bad) in a few hours.

edit: waitlist, boo

4. stoppushingit

stoppushingit stupid savant
    2+ Year Member

wow this thread has certainly put my hopes out :(

5. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i wish you the best of luck. what it comes down to is the fact that there are way too many qualified applicants for the number of seats at columbia. it just bothers me slightly that these letters, which get sent out every year to bunches of applicants, are basically cleaverly disguised propaganda to keep columbia at the tops of our lists. the waitlist just hurts a little more knowing the i would have brought dean frantz "real pleasure" if i attended P&S.

6. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    we need more data people... so far it looks like the letter is the kiss of death

7. jester384

jester384 sweet
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i got a, "we thank you and you are highly ranked but you have been placed on an alternate list to fill in for people who drop." from mr. frantz. it was actually the nicest waitlist to read so far.

8. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    mine was exactly the same, word for word.

havent heard anything yet. oops i crapped my pants.

9. fotografía

fotografía Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You forgot "rejected, received a letter", which would be me. I got the "will keep you strongly in mind" letter in response to my thank you note.

10. cubbbie

cubbbie Member
    5+ Year Member

i got keep you strongly in mind also. i did not interview with the dean. i also got a second personal letter in response to an update. neither dean letter sounded very hopeful when i read them, but it turnd out well for me. i don't personally think he writes them or that there is anything to read between the lines.

11. tch001

tch001 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got a thank you letter to my thank you note from my interviewer (not franz) that was really, really encouraging. waitlist.

12. Pagz09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    mine was exactly the same, too, and i got waitlisted. ugh. at the time, i thought that letter actually meant something...it's a pretty dirty trick to get someone's hopes up with a personal sounding letter which is actually very generic. looking at the poll so far, it looks like the letter has no meaning whatsoever, and it's pretty evenly split for who did/didnt get the letter.

oh well.... =/

13. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just got alternate listed (Im not sure if thats the same as the waitlist?). I agree. Very dirty trick.

14. CEEJAY000

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but just from reading this thread, it seems like the only people who got "personal" letters from Dean Frantz were people who sent him a letter after their interview. I did not send him a thank you letter after my interview, so I didn't get a letter back from him. I'm on the alternate list.

15. cubbbie

cubbbie Member
    5+ Year Member

Yeah, I think his letters are in response to something. He doesn't randomly send them out. In my case, I sent my typical thank you letter to my interviewer, and he passed it on to Dean Frantz, and then Dean Frantz responded to that. I never wrote a letter directly to Dean Frantz.

16. Lolita624

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    this thread has the whole letter theory wrong...he send letters to anyone who sends in a thank you/update. whether or not you get a letter is not questioned to have a correlation with your final decision. the issue was what your letter specifically said. some people received ones that said "keep you very strongly in mind" while others received a more positive one that said "optimistic about your chances/would give me pleasure to have you here"....so people sometimes conjecture about whether there was a correlation between the different types of letters and the final decision.

17. Severus

Severus FTSM!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Nope. I sent in both a thank you note and an update and received nothing back from Dean Frantz.

I honestly think he just does it whenever he has the time.