Columbia anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

portlander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I live on the opposite side of the nation, but I have recieved stuff from Tufts today postmarked on Dec. 2nd. I REALLY liked Columbia, and I think I might go either there or University of Michigan.

Has anyone heard either way from Columbia? I was confident, now I'm a little nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview at columbia last month. And, it's the only school that i haven't heard anything yet. :(
I recieved some package from Tufts tday and i thought i would hear from columbia today, but i guess not.
I 'm planning to go to UF but i'm just curious if i got into Columbia or not.

I thought someone said in another thread that columbia already sent out acceptances on tuesday (dec 3). maybe it's the bad weather causing the delay. keep ur fingers crossed and definitely post when u get the letter!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an acceptance letter today from Columbia. Best of luck to everyone!

Hm it's saturday and I still haven't heard from columbia.
Do they send it by certified mail or regular mail?
I think i probably got waitlisted..

Haven't heard from them either

Columbia is the only school I haven't heard from that I've already interviewed at. I e-mailed Gloria Udo, and she informed me that my letter got sent out on Dec. 2nd. Could the snow storm be keeping it? My tufts letter was postmarked Dec. 2nd, and you would think they would get to Portland at a similar rate!

hey portlander,

yea, i emailed gloria udo also and she said the same thing to me. i live in nyc, so i expected a letter a couple of days ago. i don't think she bothered to check our individual files, but just gave us a general answer. so, i guess we have to keep waiting. good luck!

I'm from Canada and I received my letter friday, but I'm still deciding between UPENN and Columbia.

The location in columbia is depressing.

Depressing?

Wait, yeah maybe...I forgot it's on 168th street I think. In any case, you can just get a MetroCard and hang out anywhere else. You're within a 10 min subway ride from Midtown Manhattan. If not there, you can take a ferry to the undergrad Columbia campus. There's stuff to do there. It can't be that bad around 168th, I'll take a look later.

i finally heard from columbia. the letter got routed to long island first, then to me. if i don't get into stony brook, i'll definitely enroll here. i sincerely hope others have gotten good news today also. i'm so relieved!

i finally heard from columbia. the letter got routed to long island first, then to me. if i don't get into stony brook, i'll definitely enroll here. i sincerely hope others have gotten good news today also. i'm so relieved!

hey realysa, what was the postmark date? also, has anyone from california heard from columbia? Thanks!

NSXDent

Members don't see this ad :)
hey futurensxdentist,

my acceptance letter was written on dec 1, postmarked on dec 3, arrived in my mailbox on dec 9. i live in nyc, so i was surprised it took so long. good luck! i'm sure it'll come any day now.

Got my Columbia acceptance !!

I still haven't gotten anythingn from columbia. Does that mean I'm getting rejected?

I got an acceptance from Columbia!! I'm so excited!!

NSXDent, i'm from california and i just got my acceptance letter yesterday. good luck.. hope you hear from them too.

I'm from southern California. I got their letter today (12/11/02).

I emailed gloria udo and she told me that my letter was sent out yesterday. The committee just went over my application ( I had my interview late november). I guess that is why my letter is late.

hey jam21, when was ur interview? My was on 11/22 and I still have not heard anything from Columbia. Has anyone who interviewed at Nova on 11/26 (who is from Cali) heard anything from em' at all? Thanks!

NSXDEnt

I had interview on NOvember 22nd as well!. (with Columbia)

hey jam21, are you the asian girl from florida?

NSXDEnt

yeah. I'm the one. I can never guess which one you are because there were so many people from cali. :)

hey jam21,

I was the one sitting next to you. Anywayz, I FINALLY got my Columbia acceptance letter along with my Nova :D

Now it's between Tufts and Columbia...tough decision.

Is anyone on the same boat? trying to decide btw Columbia and Tufts???

NSXDEnt

hey!! yeah i remember you. Ithink you were the one from Berkely right? Sorry if i'm wrong. Anwyayz.. conglatulations~~ :laugh:
You aren't planning to go to Cali school?

yup, that's me. I'm still waiting to get an interview from cali schools, so far no luck :(

It'll come down to tufts/columbia if i don't get into cali schools, which is not a big deal.

Congrads to you too! are you going to matriculate in Columbia??
You should just take my Nova space...lol.

NSXDent

loL. I dindt get my letter from columbia yet!! I dont know what's taking so long. well, it should come soon. I decided not to go to nova at all. I don't think it's that worth it since I got accepted to the University of florida. It's sooo much cheaper and since i'm already here, I might as well just stay here another 4 years :laugh: :mad:
That's a tough decision betwen Tufts and Columbia.
If you wanna specialize, you should go to columbia. Who knows, i might end up there too.

well, good lucK

You should give 'em a call just to double check. I called this past thurs and the lady told me they mailed out on the 2nd and 12th of dec, so you should be receiving it anytime now. She told me on the phone that I got accepted and I just got the official acceptance letter today (it's a small regular envelope size), so don't sweat bullet if you see it

:D

NSXDent

hi,
nxs and jam
i also interviewed on the 22nd. i was the guy who was living in nebraska (yes nebraska) and asking too many questions. i have been waiting for reply from columbia and called today. yes! but i don't know about going there or not.
what did you think about it?

Well, at the moment I',m trying to decide btw Columbia and Tufts. Both are excellent schools in terms of academic. But Columbia is ahead in terms of academic and Tufts in terms of Clincial. Tufts is also $10,000 chepaer so that makes it more enticing. In addition, it's nice facility and clinical programs, along with decent academic makes it overall well-rounded school.

I don't know, i've been having a lot of trouble trying to decide which school to sent my deposit to, is anyone out there from columbia/tufts have any suggestions to my dilemmas?

Or for that matter, anyone applying this year with the same dilemmas?

Any help would be appreciated :clap:

NSXDent

hey sup . nice seeing you in this forum. I finally got my letter today!!.... I was so sure that I would go to UF but now i'm not sure! Frankly, I didn't like their program that much (columbia). The fact that you dont get much clinical training and their medially oriented program didn't relaly get me interested. I waasn't that happy with what I was hearing at the interview.
But, I want to go to columbia because I alwyas wanted to live in NY city and the possibility of me pursuing to go into specializing... It's also an ivy league school.. So......... I can't make up my mind. Is it worth spending over 40000 /year??
:confused:

it's 1000 dollar deposit so I better make a good decision.....
It says it's non-refundable but do they give you some money back if you let them know later? before May?

Did you get accepted to any other schools yet? Ze Dentist?

anywayz.. i can't decide, guys..
:confused: Nsxdent, let us know when you make up your mind.. hheh

hi
i have been accepted to 4 schools now and waiting for ucsf. not too hopeful there bc out of state. the shcool i think about most is uop. i really liked it there and trying to find out if i can specialize if i go there. just want the option. also the cost!!
in terms of columbia i thought the students and faculty were really friendly. the facility was nice (except the classrooms). the ablity to specialize and the name are the best things about it. i don't know about nyc for 4 years and i want to go to a school with a dental focus, not medicine. if i wanted to be a doc i would have. it is so tempting though. really given me somehting to think about.
i'm curious if you go there and what are your reasons.