1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Columbia app-BS!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by biophysicbadass, Jun 17, 2002.

1. biophysicbadass

7+ Year Member

Hi Guys,
    I am having a few problems with the Columbia app
    1) I have much more coursework to enter then they give room for
    2)they only let you choose one major
    3)My graduate major is not listed
    4)There is no place for post-bac classes, I assume we put them in with undergrad stuff
    5)There is no premedical committee at my school, but they do not let you indicate that

If anyone knows how to circumvent any of these problems please contribute

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

hey badass,
    i was just filling it out - i put down my undergrad school twice to include both of the degrees i'll be grabbin (bs and ba); i would do the same for majors.

in the case of the course work, i would either use the paper app, or send them the extra coursework by snailmail (like if you wanted to send your photo).

you can still submit your application if there are some errors (the committee letter part). the application isn't all taht flexible for anyone doing anything different. the best bet would be the paper app route i guess. i dunno - wrastling with the some of the same issues,
    -jot

4. biophysicbadass

7+ Year Member

Thanks Jot,
    how about transcripts? I don't see anything regarding where we can send them, as well as an address for LOR, I assume its
    630 West 168th Street
    New York, NY 10032 but not sure. anyone know?

5. lollie2006

lollie2006 Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know if the application is the same, but last year there was a blank page for additional information a the end of the app. Either there was a blank page or you could attach a word document and send it all electronically, I forget. Either way you don't have to send it snail mail. Good luck to you both!

6. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lollie2006:
    <strong>I don't know if the application is the same, but last year there was a blank page for additional information a the end of the app. Either there was a blank page or you could attach a word document and send it all electronically, I forget. Either way you don't have to send it snail mail. Good luck to you both!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I, too, remember this -- you can send as many add'l pages as you want I in word format (or PDF, I think) as an attachment -- you'll be able see it in it's entirety before sending it off. . . :)

7. geneman

geneman The Transgenic Hobo
    7+ Year Member

How do we send our MCAT scores and Transcripts to Columbia?

8. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by geneman:
    <strong>How do we send our MCAT scores and Transcripts to Columbia?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have the option of designating schools (I think three) during the MCAT administration such that they receive your scores automatically. If, however, you didn't do this, download the Additional Score Report Form from the web and send it in to them -- for a fee, they'll forward the MCAT scores.

As far as the transcripts are concerned, contact your school's registrar and have them forward the transcripts (offically, of course). My school has a link on the web to the request form but you may have to call or stop by in order to get the relevant paperwork.

Good luck! :)

9. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by The Fly:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by geneman:
    <strong>How do we send our MCAT scores and Transcripts to Columbia?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have the option of designating schools (I think three) during the MCAT administration such that they receive your scores automatically.

Good luck! :) </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually you can designate up the six, I think. Choose them wisely! And be sure to record the ones you put down so you'll remember later. I can't remember all of the ones I designated now.

10. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, unless they've changed the application from last year, there is a place to indicate whether you're using a premed committee letter or letters from "3 persons familiar with your work." There's also a place to put in your graduate GPA, both science and non-science. Don't stress, just put all the extra coursework, whether it's undergraduate or graduate, on the extra page provided on the application. I put it at the very end under Coursework, Continued -- and just continued the same format from their Coursework page. Use this page to put in anything extra you want them to know, like your double major. I put my PS from AMCAS on this extra page as well (I used my vision statement to answer the "satisfactions" section of Columbia's Personal Information Sheet).

11. jot

jot

hmm this extra page thing would be quite helpful -we can upload a picture, i hope we can attach the other stuff too. personal statement sounds like a good idea, thanks.
    -jot

12. geneman

geneman The Transgenic Hobo
    7+ Year Member

For schools that do not follow AMCAS (e.g., Columbia and NYU), should we send in the MCAT & Transcript stuff ASAP or after we submit their primary application?

13. I am having trouble with Columbia's APP too. Some of the fields only allow for a limited number of characters so I am not able to enter the entire name, such as for course title. Is this a bug or did they purposely limit the characters for each field?