Columbia class of 2010 - dorms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PegaNinguem

Anti-politician
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone... I got my acceptance from Columbia. Is there a group of us out here yet? :)

Anyhow, barring any tragedy at home (Miami, FL), I'm going to accept the seat. I just wanted to know either from current students or those who got to spend more time in NY (I have a full-time job, so I couldnt stick around) about the dorms.

I'm 27 and have amassed a small room of personal possesions... Are these dorms old-school like my mildewed-8x8-University-of-Florida (but awesome) dorms? How much of my crap will I have to junk? Are the rates on the dorms so good that no one is looking for a fellow dental student for a rental elsewhere in the city?

As a Floridian, I have a bunch of other stupid curiosities... Like if we wear scrubs, what do wear when it gets really cold? Ha... Now you know I'm a native Miamian. I have 3 sweaters, no jackets, no boots, and I'm going out tonight in shorts and sandals... :D

Peace everyone, and to my fellow classmates, congrats and see you soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ill be there next year too!! I started a Columbia class thread a week or two ago, but got only a couple responses...seems like people are still debating where to go or waiting for the second round of acceptances to trickle in...ill try to find it later and bump it up to see if there is anyone else out there joining us.

From talking to students, i've heard the towers and georgian are the way to go. I think they are three bedroom apartments if i recall correctly, but I dont really know much more than that. Oh, and Im pretty sure the bedrooms are bigger in Towers and georgian. How much bigger? I dont know.,..

Ive heard varying opinions about Bard. Seems like either you hate it or you love it. I dont know what the exact room dimensions are, but it seems like plenty of space for a single...maybe 12x12. I think thats plenty. My dorm at UMich was 11x12 for two people, and that was among the smallest rooms on the UM campus. So from my experience, I think something around 10x10 would be fine for one person. 8x8 at UF? Now that sucks! The bathrooms are coed (kinda weird) and im pretty sure they showed you the kitchen on the 11th floor during your interview. As far as cost goes, I think the towers and georgian are something around 800/mo, and Bard is around 650/mo. Current students correct me if im wrong...

So where are you most interested in living? Im leaning towards Bard. People keep telling me Bard is terrible, but it really doesnt seem that bad to me. Eventually id like to move into the towers, probably 2nd year. But starting out, I think Bard will probably be best. I kinda miss the experience of living in the dorms. Also, Im under the impression that if u were put into towers or georgian, they would put you with random roommates that are upperclassmen. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I think id rather live by myself in Bard first year, then after I meet people and make new friends, id move into towers with people in my class.

Anyways, this is starting to get long...congratulations and ill see you in the fall!

housing webpage

almost everyone did start out in bard. bard is a POS, of it still exceeded my expectations for a new york apartment as it was bigger than my frosh year dorm in undergrad. make sure you ask for a room with a sink, b/c your life will be made much easier (you can brush your teeth 10 times a day! and do dishes, too). and, try to get a riverview/riverside/a room AWAY from the street side because that side can get noisy.

the actual rooms in towers/georgian aren't any bigger--you're basically in a suit with 2 other ppl and you guys share a kitchen, bathroom (and maybe a living area, depending on how much you pay) but then they have individual bedrooms for everyone. the bedrooms are basically separate rooms, you can even lock them with a key (if you don't trust your roomies, i suppose) but the size fo the actual room isn't bigger than bard.

again, almost everyone started out in bard but you can transfer to towers/georgian ASAP once school starts. i would say that now, the majority of my class live in towers (due to transfers). the price of bard is pretty much the same as towers (unless if you go for the pricier towers).

i wouldn't go off campus unless if you're already residing in the city/are married. living off campus is a pain in the ass, esp with the amount of classes we have/our schedule. a couple of off-campus ppl are trying to move back on campus, but they're encountering difficulties getting something from columbia (columbia makes a rule where you if you're off campus trying to get on, you have to live in bard first before trying for towers).

hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
nrlee said:
...seems like people are still debating where to go or waiting for the second round of acceptances to trickle in...ill try to find it later and bump it up to see if there is anyone else out there joining us.

Columbia's great... From my background I always thought it would be fun to go Ivy League. However, I must admit, for strictly $$$ reasons, I would have chosen UF if they took me... But I think the admissions director had a personal bias against me, so whatever... I assume I'm not the only one with good credentials that is trying to get into their cost-effective school first and then "upgrade" to Columbia.

nrlee said:
8x8 at UF? Now that sucks! The bathrooms are coed (kinda weird) and im pretty sure they showed you the kitchen on the 11th floor during your interview. As far as cost goes, I think the towers and georgian are something around 800/mo, and Bard is around 650/mo. Current students correct me if im wrong...

8x8 = exaggeration... heh heh. Didnt see the dorms, I had the first heavy snow/no one's here/lite interview day. Coed bathroom huh? Seems intriguing at first... Until the hotties come in after you had too much tequila and taco bell the night before. Thing's get really personal really fast... :smuggrin:

nrlee said:
So where are you most interested in living? Im leaning towards Bard. I kinda miss the experience of living in the dorms. Also, Im under the impression that if u were put into towers or georgian, they would put you with random roommates that are upperclassmen. If so, I think id rather live by myself in Bard first year, then after I meet people and make new friends, id move into towers with people in my class.

Yup. Word for word. Ha, I haven't been in dorms for almost a decade. I'll be like Old School. Keg party in my room! To tell you the truth, the most fun I've ever had socially was in a single dorm room... I could lock the door when I wanted privacy - otherwise we would just leave our doors open and everyone on the floor was cool with each other.

I was thinking about living off-campus nearby, or somewhere on an express A route, but I didnt realize how cheap the dorms are compared to anything else in Manhatten, uptown or not. You can't afford NOT to live in the dorms unless you come from money.

I'm a little stressed out about the fact that Columbia is full of red-hots. I've never been in that type of environment before. I need my 2 days a week to relax and to party, otherwise I get cranky... I hope that as long as keep on top of my $hit, that I'll get my cook-eggs-make-a-coffee-listen-to-jack-johnson-with-the-window-open-relaxation time...

Peace!

Hahaha, yeah coed bathrooms...talk about awkward moments. I mean what the hell am i supposed to do when i get the green apple splatters and just wanna let loose...kinda tough when you know theres a girl in there. Weird, just weird I tell you...

On a more pleasant note, off campus apartments? I dont think theyre really that expensive if you stay in Washington Heights. I was told that they are pretty close to the university buildings cost wise. If anything, its probably just a pain in the ass to deal with landlords, bills, and all that good stuff. Much simpler getting a single bill from CU and maybe a cable bill...

As for the workload, im expecting the worst, but i seriously hope its not **THAT** bad. I hope I get a decent amount of time to see the city, go out to party and get entirely too drunk, and of course some nice R&R. Im hoping all the science i took as an undergrad will help me out (im a cell&molec bio major, so lots of biochem, micro, immuno, neuro, etc..) And speaking of drunk, you ever wonder what that 20min subway ride back from downtown would be like if youre in pretty rough shape? I guess ill find out soon enough :laugh: hahhaha, at least orientation should be fun..

vandy_yankee said:
housing webpage

make sure you ask for a room with a sink, b/c your life will be made much easier (you can brush your teeth 10 times a day! and do dishes, too). and, try to get a riverview/riverside/a room AWAY from the street side because that side can get noisy.

We can actually ask for specifics such as these? How? :D

BTW, I'll be seeing you guys in August too!!

nrlee said:
Hahaha, yeah coed bathrooms...talk about awkward moments. I mean what the hell am i supposed to do when i get the green apple splatters and just wanna let loose...kinda tough when you know theres a girl in there. Weird, just weird I tell you...

On a more pleasant note, off campus apartments? I dont think theyre really that expensive if you stay in Washington Heights. I was told that they are pretty close to the university buildings cost wise. If anything, its probably just a pain in the ass to deal with landlords, bills, and all that good stuff. Much simpler getting a single bill from CU and maybe a cable bill...

As for the workload, im expecting the worst, but i seriously hope its not **THAT** bad. I hope I get a decent amount of time to see the city, go out to party and get entirely too drunk, and of course some nice R&R. Im hoping all the science i took as an undergrad will help me out (im a cell&molec bio major, so lots of biochem, micro, immuno, neuro, etc..) And speaking of drunk, you ever wonder what that 20min subway ride back from downtown would be like if youre in pretty rough shape? I guess ill find out soon enough :laugh: hahhaha, at least orientation should be fun..

:laugh: Green apple splatters! awesome... Gotta remember that.

You made me curious so I went to http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/hhh/ and you're right (search for washington heights)... The 1-3br apartments in the area can be found in that price range. Simpler bah... There's something to be said for having your own apartment... Space, company, [more] ability to distance yourself from the somewhat incestual dental crowd, and more... I have to think about this apt. vs dorm now. Maybe I'll start a thread later to guage interest in a neat-freak, manhattenite, study-hard-party-hard, everlasting-bachelor apartment.

Rough shape on the subway from downtown huh... Ann Arbor... <<big grin>> Being from that rare US establishment called the "college town," I'm sensing future nights of debauchery... The night after my interview I went stumbling around the West Village bar area. The rest of this story is reserved for private messages... heh. I agree - orientation will set the mood for the next four years. :)

PegaNinguem said:
I have to think about this apt. vs dorm now.

keep in mind the only dorms on campus is Bard....Towers and georgian are apartments and once your there, you can pick who you want to get an apartment with...

When I interviewed at Columbia, I was proactive and I went to check Bard myself....then I randomly asked students if I could check out their room.....oh man, it was horrible!!! How the hell can anyone live there!! It was seriously not a place where I'd like to live during dental school....cmon, you're a professional student now....you deserve a bit better than Bard.

I also checked out the Towers, and they were definitely decent....a bit old and run-down, but 100 times better than Bard. Seemed like a decent place to live....however, Im the type of guy who wouldnt want to have roommates during dental school....but thats just a personal choice.

Stay away from Bard....before you give a deposit, check it out yourself.

Dr.BadVibes said:
When I interviewed at Columbia, I was proactive and I went to check Bard myself....then I randomly asked students if I could check out their room.....oh man, it was horrible!!! How the hell can anyone live there!! It was seriously not a place where I'd like to live during dental school....cmon, you're a professional student now....you deserve a bit better than Bard.

I also checked out the Towers, and they were definitely decent....a bit old and run-down, but 100 times better than Bard. Seemed like a decent place to live....however, Im the type of guy who wouldnt want to have roommates during dental school....but thats just a personal choice.

Stay away from Bard....before you give a deposit, check it out yourself.

OMG, Temple is the best and Columbia is the worst :laugh: I love the area around Temple. It's soooo nice. You'll notice the art deco homless people and the post modernism crack ****** surrounding the school. Very, very chic :thumbup:

Audio said:
OMG, Temple is the best and Columbia is the worst :laugh: I love the area around Temple. It's soooo nice. You'll notice the art deco homless people and the post modernism crack ****** surrounding the school. Very, very chic :thumbup:

hey douche, when did I even mention Temple in my post?

And for your info, no one at Temple lives near the school.....instead we all live 15 min drive away in Roxborough near Fairmount Park.....since your from Toronto, the area is a lot like the Kingsway by Royal York......its pretty sweet......you should come check it out when u move to philly....

and its funny that a person thats about to live in West Philadelphia comes here and bashes Temple's area....if you have a chance, pickup todays local Metro in Philadelphia (maybe its online).....huge article on how Penn is pumping money into security becaue there has been a lot of crime around Penn's campus recently!

Dr.BadVibes said:
and its funny that a person thats about to live in West Philadelphia comes here and bashes Temple's area....

So it's okay to bash a place that you don't live at? Very classy.

EyeAmCommi said:
So it's okay to bash a place that you don't live at? Very classy.

what can i say...im a very classy person ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BadVibes said:
hey douche, when did I even mention Temple in my post?

And for your info, no one at Temple lives near the school.....instead we all live 15 min drive away in Roxborough near Fairmount Park.....since your from Toronto, the area is a lot like the Kingsway by Royal York......its pretty sweet......you should come check it out when u move to philly....

and its funny that a person thats about to live in West Philadelphia comes here and bashes Temple's area....if you have a chance, pickup todays local Metro in Philadelphia (maybe its online).....huge article on how Penn is pumping money into security becaue there has been a lot of crime around Penn's campus recently!

I just love the Columbia bashing :D . Every chance you get...bash Columbia. Cuz we all know that Temple >>>>> Columbia. In fact, Temple >>>> Any School in the World. All things Temple are amazing :love:

Oh yeah, Penn sucks and everyone knows that Temple is the best dental school in Pennsylvania. In fact, if you ask any dentist in Philly, he'll tell you that. Of course. I feel so stupid for cancelling my Temple interview on Friday. Why oh why did I pass up the best school in the world :(

Point is, I won't be going to Columbia but it's just funny to see the Dr. Bad Vibes Columbia bashing show. To be honest, not many people with high GPAs and DAT scores want to go to Temple. They'd rather go to Columbia or Penn or Harvard. That said, I still think Temple is a good school and will produce good dentists, even great dentists.

Here's a question. How come many of these students at these so-called clinical schools have low GPAs and DAT scores? And then they come all up on here saying how they'll get a better education and be better dentists. Come on now. For every person I see from Columbia, Penn, Harvard, UCLA, etc that comes on here and boasts about his/her high GPA, I see 10 people from Temple or NYU bragging about how their schools are sooooo good. In fact, just to make you guys happy, Columbia, Penn, Harvard are the WORST schools in the nation. ;)

But keep it up, it's all in good fun :D

Audio said:
Here's a question. How come many of these students at these so-called clinical schools have low GPAs and DAT scores? And then they come all up on here saying how they'll get a better education and be better dentists. Come on now. For every person I see from Columbia, Penn, Harvard, UCLA, etc that comes on here and boasts about his/her high GPA, I see 10 people from Temple or NYU bragging about how their schools are sooooo good. In fact, just to make you guys happy, Columbia, Penn, Harvard are the WORST schools in the nation. ;)

But keep it up, it's all in good fun :D

Here the answer: If you think that GPA and DAT scores are any indication of how successful you will become as a dentist, then you surely are exemplifying your PRE-DENTAL status.....like most predents, you're too pre-occupied with name and reputation....I guess that caring so much what other people think of you is filling some sort of void in your life.....but thats for the psychologists to determine.

by the way, I wasnt commenting on the Columbia the school *****....I was commenting on Bard.....its a piece of crap, plain and simple. Anyone can go and see for themselves. All I was saying is that people should go see it before they give any kind of deposit cause it would suck to live there and be miserable for your first year.....

Anyways, I never once mentioned Temple and I guess your just trying to lure me into some argument cause you're bored.....so I guess I'll stop it here.

^^^Dr. BadVibes, WTF is your problem??? Get a life and keep your nose out of every Columbia thread. When I first started posting 1.5 years ago I thought it was amusing to read your responses and your hate for CU...now it's just old. Go bash one of the other schools you applied to.

I actually DO live in Bard, and even though it's not the nicest place, it's definitely livable. Maybe you're just more of a princess than me with a privileged upbringing so the slightest indication of age on a building freaks you out, but I think the dorms are okay.

Bard may be a POS, but it is very convenient (gym downstairs, closer to the classes, library right across) and I think it's actually a good place to start (a lot of first years on your floor to get to know).

vandy_yankee said:
^^^Dr. BadVibes, WTF is your problem??? Get a life and keep your nose out of every Columbia thread. When I first started posting 1.5 years ago I thought it was amusing to read your responses and your hate for CU...now it's just old. Go bash one of the other schools you applied to.

I actually DO live in Bard, and even though it's not the nicest place, it's definitely livable. Maybe you're just more of a princess than me with a privileged upbringing so the slightest indication of age on a building freaks you out, but I think the dorms are okay.

Bard may be a POS, but it is very convenient (gym downstairs, closer to the classes, library right across) and I think it's actually a good place to start (a lot of first years on your floor to get to know).

Read my post again ok? All I said was that Bard was crap and that the Towers were decent.....I wasnt bashing Columbia at all....

You people can be serious ******s sometimes....

Any place that you live is what you make of it, old or new small or large. So if you're an upbeat person I'm sure it's not a bad place to live at all.

Audio, I went to an well known Ivy League school undergrad and if you think that just because you're going to an Ivy League school for dental school that you are going to be made you have it all wrong. In fact, I have noticed since i graduated that humility is a virtue. People who are established in their careers, from all schools believe it or not, who you will likely be working with, do not think that you are hot **** just because of where you went to school. You will have to prove yourself as an individual not on your credentials...

yes there is little need for the disputes. Everyone is trying to contribute their 2 cents and we obviously all don't and can't agree on each other's input... or the way they are presented~

Now, are there separate applications for Bard and Georgian?

I wonder what compels BV to bash columbia all the time. I mean seriously, as a D2 at temple, why would u even read a thread about dorms at a school you dont even go to...i mean whats the motivation? How does "Columbia class of 2010 - dorms?" even pique your interest? I dont get it...by the time im a D2, im pretty sure id have no interest at all in reading a thread about the living situation at temple, or any school for that matter.

Seriously, Bard's not bad at all. If youve ever lived in a dorm at any major university, you'll know exactly what to expect.

LadyxJC said:

I believe there is a single housing application and you just rank your preferences between the three buildings. Then they just put you where there is room. Kind of a luck of the draw type thing...

columbiadent - congrats!! Looks like youre the 2nd floridian so far in our class..As for your question, unless you got a place on your own near the school, i have no idea...a real helpful answer i know :cool:

maxwell3000 said:
Audio, I went to an well known Ivy League school undergrad and if you think that just because you're going to an Ivy League school for dental school that you are going to be made you have it all wrong. In fact, I have noticed since i graduated that humility is a virtue. People who are established in their careers, from all schools believe it or not, who you will likely be working with, do not think that you are hot **** just because of where you went to school. You will have to prove yourself as an individual not on your credentials...

That's exactly my point. If you read my post you'll see that I wrote Temple is a good school and turns out fine dentists. My point is that lots of people from Temple, NYU etc hate on other schools and its funny. I don't go into Temple threads and start talking about how crappy the area is, how they have to do all their lab work, how its expensive, how no one has ever heard of the school, how the clinical experience is WAY over-rated, etc.

And believe me, I couldn't give two $hits about the name of the school. In fact, if you follow my posts you'll see that I would turn down Penn, Harvard, etc for a state school - Buffalo.

Come here my children, come and sit down
And you shall hear why Columbia makes Badvibes frown

He interviewed early, he thought he interviewed well
In fact, he was feeling pretty darn swell!

And then came the day he thought he would hear a yay,
Instead he heard: maybe another day?

“How dare they!” He cried “How dare they, I say!
Well, I never wanted to go there anyway!!!”

And so his hate for Columbia grew,
And soon his bashing of them was nothing new.

And even though he despised them very much,
He NEVER withdrew his application, or any of that such.

And to keep his name the list, he sent them dough,
Despite the fact that he swore he’d say no.

But during the summer, as he got ready for school
A letter finally came: Come to us, we do think you’re cool.

“Ha!” He cried, “Here’s my chance!”
“To tell them NO, and do my victory dance!”

So now if you hear bashings, don’t get mad in a haste
Instead, read this again, then copy and paste.

;)

vandy_yankee said:

;)

HAHAHHA OMFG HAHAHA

nrlee said:
I wonder what compels BV to bash columbia all the time. I mean seriously, as a D2 at temple, why would u even read a thread about dorms at a school you dont even go to...i mean whats the motivation? How does "Columbia class of 2010 - dorms?" even pique your interest? I dont get it...by the time im a D2, im pretty sure id have no interest at all in reading a thread about the living situation at temple, or any school for that matter.

Seriously, Bard's not bad at all. If youve ever lived in a dorm at any major university, you'll know exactly what to expect.

holy crap, what is wrong with you people.....you wanna know why I commented?? cause I actually saw the living situations at Columbia, thats why....after my interview i took the time to go see the dorms myself and see what they were like......all I was doing was commenting on the living conditions, because I know that when people interview there, they dont actually see the dorm rooms themselves.....geez, I was only giving honest advice....

so once again, Ill say my point again....dont give in a deposit to that place until you see it yourself......if you like it, fine....go ahead and do what you want.....but i thought it was a piece of crap and if you dont believe me, please explain why most people move out of there after first year?

you people are seriously super douchebags and really need to lighten up.

vandy_yankee said:

;)

Wow, you actually took the time to write that???? I dont know what to say to that.....the word "sad" is coming to mind, but that doesnt even do it justice.

Dont get me wrong....its clever.....pathetic, but clever.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Wow, you actually took the time to write that???? I dont know what to say to that.....the word "sad" is coming to mind, but that doesnt even do it justice.

Dont get me wrong....its clever.....pathetic, but clever.

"sad" coming from a person who is a perpetual pessimist and is still complaining about a school he interviewed at 2 years ago?
After hearing you bash my mommaCU for 1.5 years, I took a few minutes and put that good ole English minor to work :laugh: I've realized it's futile to reason with you, to ask you nicely to stop bashing a school you don't even attend. Therefore, I'll post this every time I see you again, with you on your soapbox wagging your finger and saying "nu-uh! I got into CU baby, and lemme tell you..."

vandy_yankee said:
"sad" coming from a person who is a perpetual pessimist and is still complaining about a school he interviewed at 2 years ago?
After hearing you bash my mommaCU for 1.5 years, I took a few minutes and put that good ole English minor to work :laugh: I've realized it's futile to reason with you, to ask you nicely to stop bashing a school you don't even attend. Therefore, I'll post this every time I see you again, with you on your soapbox wagging your finger and saying "nu-uh! I got into CU baby, and lemme tell you..."

Listen buddy, I have opinions about schools other than Columbia, so dont make it out like thats all I do......its just that you ***** from Columbia are so god damn sensitive when something negative is said about your school that its downright pathetic and turns into these stupid wars....

people constantly bash my school all the time on SDN...do you see me doing anything about it? no, i could give two craps......as long as its correct criticism.

"Temple's area is bad." You know what, you're completely right. I wont try and sit here and try and convince you otherwise because its true......but if you think its bad and you dont like it, just dont come here.....it doesnt affect me at all. Why would I give a $hit?

But in my posts about other schools, I make it very very clear that its only my opinions, and I always expect people to do the research themselves....do I expect people to listen to me? Hell no! However, I do expect people to start thinking for themselves and to get answers on their own.

So if you wanna recite your homosexual poem everytime I say something negative about Columbia, then fine.....doesnt bother me one bit.

back on topic

Any place that you live is what you make of it, old or new small or large. So if you're an upbeat person I'm sure it's not a bad place to live at all.
exactly, the glass is always half-full. you're going to encounter a lot of **** in dental school, it's best to think positively.

same application, they ask you to rank them

I would love to live in the dorms, but I have a small dog and I heard that pets are not allowed in the dorms. Do any current students, or future students, have any suggestions for me concerning what I should do about housing??
there are some students in the towers/georgian who have small pets (ie, cats). i'm not sure if a dog would fare well though--it'd be harder to hide, you'll have to constantly take it out to the bathroom. also, you'll have long days, so the puppy might feel neglected home by itself (not to mention it's a SMALL home).

badv, let's kiss and make up, k? as long as you stay out of the CU threads i'll stop reciting my little poem. how did you know i liked men :confused: i'm from philly, we should go out for drinks whenever i'm in town.

Just out of curiosity (or concern, rather) do dorms usually have insect/rodent issues? Anyone know about this situation at Columbia's dorm in particular? I've never lived at a dorm so I'm curious~

Just out of curiosity (or concern, rather) do dorms usually have insect/rodent issues? Anyone know about this situation at Columbia's dorm in particular? I've never lived at a dorm so I'm curious/worried~

vandy_yankee said:
there are some students in the towers/georgian who have small pets (ie, cats). i'm not sure if a dog would fare well though--it'd be harder to hide, you'll have to constantly take it out to the bathroom. also, you'll have long days, so the puppy might feel neglected home by itself (not to mention it's a SMALL home).

Hey vandy... I've always enjoyed living in dorms, except for cooking and laundry. Plus, I cant do wrong living in a dorm for a year until (and if) I decide to move out, buy a wife, marry a dog, get roommates, etc... That said, I have no idea about the differences between Bard/Towers/Georgian and the housing site doesnt give the real scoop at all. Any details? I'm not concerned about age of building or communal bathrooms... I'm more concerned with privacy (singles), social life, size of the beds (hard to go back to a twin-plus size bed you know...)

Also, if anyone wants to chime in... I have a older truck that I'm not worried about people stealing or getting comprehensive insurance for. That being said, even though I plan on using transit 95% of the time, it might be a convenience once in a blue moon to keep my truck by my side. How's the street parking in Washington Heights? ugh, the disadvantages of not being a native... :)

Peace!

PegaNinguem said:
Hey vandy... I've always enjoyed living in dorms, except for cooking and laundry. Plus, I cant do wrong living in a dorm for a year until (and if) I decide to move out, buy a wife, marry a dog, get roommates, etc... That said, I have no idea about the differences between Bard/Towers/Georgian and the housing site doesnt give the real scoop at all. Any details? I'm not concerned about age of building or communal bathrooms... I'm more concerned with privacy (singles), social life, size of the beds (hard to go back to a twin-plus size bed you know...)

Also, if anyone wants to chime in... I have a older truck that I'm not worried about people stealing or getting comprehensive insurance for. That being said, even though I plan on using transit 95% of the time, it might be a convenience once in a blue moon to keep my truck by my side. How's the street parking in Washington Heights? ugh, the disadvantages of not being a native... :)

Peace!

street parking in wash heights is there,but its hard to get sometimes,and youre not always gonna get it anywhere close to your dorm(try five or six city blocks away). if youre not from somewhere in the tristate area and dont plan on making road trips frequently,which im assuming you wont have time to do anyway, having a car might not make much sense. just my 0.02$

Wow that poem was hilarious vandy...no more dr. b please!!!

For those of you worried about living in Wash Heights I will tell you all about it.

Only some people get dorms and most people are able to switch out if they want in the middle of the year or even in the beginning. Dental students dont always get dorms, so dont stress. Housing is pretty nice and affordable considering your in NYC and housing is provided by a school.

Safety is always an issue for people living in NYC. We were told the first day that Columbia is the safest Ivy League School in the nation and there is security everywhere. Washington Heights has now become more of a family community with high number of Domincans in the area.

Parking is a b**** in NYC...dont bring your car

PlazaDay I like the icon...wait till you get to Columbia...you'll see better pictures on my comp.

ANYONE HAVE QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK

PegaNinguem said:

Just wondering, how is the cooking situation in the Bard dorms.

Also, I'm reading the brochure and it says the Georgian Residencies are in the same building as the Nursing School?? How does that work? Actually, how are the gals at the Nursing School? :D

enginerd said:
Just wondering, how is the cooking situation in the Bard dorms.

Also, I'm reading the brochure and it says the Georgian Residencies are in the same building as the Nursing School?? How does that work? Actually, how are the gals at the Nursing School? :D

Who cares? :) After looking at the map, knowing that the nurses are there to sponge bathe me, and that its a studio, I'm shooting for Georgian... Hopefully the Californians dont have me beat. Wish I was from NY to be able to know where to find a nice apt instead.

PegaNinguem said:
Who cares? :) After looking at the map, knowing that the nurses are there to sponge bathe me, and that its a studio, I'm shooting for Georgian... Hopefully the Californians dont have me beat. Wish I was from NY to be able to know where to find a nice apt instead.

LOL, "sponge bathe me," I don't know about that... :rolleyes: I'm in my 20s already, I think it would be kinda embarrassing.