MA/MS Columbia Counseling Psychology - Online Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncounseling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just logged onto Columbia's application system to check my status, even though I didn't get an interview and know I'm probably no longer considered for their phd program.

However, I noticed that there was a 2nd application started on 3/11 -- I didn't submit a 2nd application. I noticed that all the docs appear the same and the application fee was listed as waive. This 2nd application appears on top of my 1st application and the status is "submitted" on both.

Does anyone know if this means my application has been transferred for consideration to their master's program? Any ideas on why they would do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about this particular program, but it's certainly not unheard of for people applying to Ph.D. programs at certain schools being offered entrance to Master's level programs instead. With that said, it seems kind of late in the game for that, especially if you haven't heard about an interview. Maybe it's just some odd technical error?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The same thing is happening with my online application to Teachers College- the application that I submitted back in December is still there, but a second one seems to have been created and submitted a little over a week ago. In my case, I did explicitly state I'd like to be considered for both the PhD and the masters. I'm assuming that's their way of allowing my files to be viewed by whoever screens for the masters program.

Also, I emailed admissions to ask about decisions. "By mid-March" was their quick reply.

The same thing is happening with my online application to Teachers College- the application that I submitted back in December is still there, but a second one seems to have been created and submitted a little over a week ago. In my case, I did explicitly state I'd like to be considered for both the PhD and the masters. I'm assuming that's their way of allowing my files to be viewed by whoever screens for the masters program.

Also, I emailed admissions to ask about decisions. "By mid-March" was their quick reply.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate some external confirmation! I guess I'll wait and see...then post an update here in case others encounter something similar in the future and are curious about it. :)

I wasn't really keeping an eye on my online applications, as I assumed I'd gotten rejected due to lack of invites for interviews. However, I just received an e-mail from admissions at Columbia for an offer into their Master of Education in Psychological Counseling: Mental Health Counseling program. Maybe this means they were reconsidering a few applications? Regardless, good luck to you all! Happy to finally see a happy letter rather than a rejection. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I wasn't really keeping an eye on my online applications, as I assumed I'd gotten rejected due to lack of invites for interviews. However, I just received an e-mail from admissions at Columbia for an offer into their Master of Education in Psychological Counseling: Mental Health Counseling program. Maybe this means they were reconsidering a few applications? Regardless, good luck to you all! Happy to finally see a happy letter rather than a rejection. ;)

Thanks for the update! I haven't received a notification for either a rejection/acceptance into their master's, but I'll keep this thread posted. Congratulations! :)