Columbia, Emory, BU, or GWU for global health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yesilyurt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the best choice between these four for global health?

From reading everyone's posts, Emory seems to be the best choice, but any further advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Those are all really good schools, but if it came down to it, I would choose Columbia, only because I am interested in working with larger organizations (UNICEF, WHO, UN) etc. and Columbia's Health policy and management, global health track seems to place a lot of students into these jobs upon graduation.

Also, it's based in NYC, which provides great opportunities for networking with people from all over the world, and the internship/job opportunities are immense.

Finally, if you decide to do global health work abroad, an Ivy League name doesn't hurt on your resume!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just did some quick searches, and the "nih rankings" refer to rankings by amount of money awarded via grants to particular institutions from the NIH (ie. NO1 grants)...so take this for what you will. They then take the schools with some sort of global health program and rank them according to this criteria (ie. $ from NIH in the form of N01 grants).....I believe that this doesn't account for fundraising from other sources towards the school, such as alumni donations or WHO funding, for example....and also you have to determine how much such raknings really mean to you (FWIW, as mentioned above)..

@LeafsFan: Precisely. Thanks for expanding on that :) Its just one indicator of what you can expect, in this case in terms of funding from the NIH, which is a good, but only one, source iof initiative funding.

@yesilyurt: You will have to take into account several sources such as the GHI funding rank, as well as other rankings of individual programs, add to that various well-informed people's opinions, in order to ultimately tie all that in with which field and organization you intend to work in whichever country to decide what is best for you. There will be a lot of people with opinions, but its not fair to yourself to ask for such opinions. That said, I will also agree with sab1228 where he/she says they are all great programs at universities with excellent reputations in the field. In some silly cases, people's subjective individual experiences at universities or certain programs can either absolutely glorify or completely demonize the experience, in some extreme situations. Ignore such people and always do your own research and decide what is best for you, after considering various features and options available to you.