Columbia/Emory chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been beaten to death - your app depends on you as a person. But...I want to gage my chances, by the numbers, at Columbia and Emory. I am aplying to med schools now, but I want to do an MPH anyway, so I am applying in case I dont get into medicine this time around.

I took the GRe and got 800Quant and 600Verbal. MY MCAT is 34R. My undergrad GPA(From Georgia Tech in Electrical Engineering) is 3.04. Decent recommendations, standard extra currics, pretty decent essay. Heck, if any of you wants to read my essay and offer help(since my profs and buddies are on spring break) I would really appreciate that too.

Any input would help a lot.

Cheers,
Captjack

Members don't see this ad.

given your GPA you probably shouldnt mention your MCAT to the public health schools. they'll see right away you might be using it as a lauching pad to med school.

i'm in a similar boat, similar GPA, hopefully similar MCAT score (CONGRATS on the 34).

is it possible to leave out the MCAT score? don't schools require you to show all tests you have taken?

i was planning on just applying with my MCAT score, not taking the GRE, is it really considered negatively on my application? If the GPA goes up, and it is combined with a smilar MCAT score (34), would that make a difference?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hihi!

In response to your question, I think the only major thing that will hold you back is your GPA. Your GRE is excellent (at 1400), and that I'm pretty sure is well above average at almost everywhere. However, most people applying to MPH programs will have GPAs of 3.3-3.5 or even higher. If it's at all possible, I'd suggest trying to raise it before sending off applications (summer school maybe)? I hope that helps.

Hey, I applied with similar numbers and got into columbia. I am going to school there this fall. However, I had about a year of clinical experience and also a year lobbying experience. I think with your numbers and at least a year of work experience, you would be fine.

Does anyone know how strict the public health experience requirements are at columbia? I am currently starting MSIII and I would like to go to CU for MPH, in the dept of population and family health. I had 3.7 GPA as undergrad, and 31O on MCAT. Average grades in med school so far. Any ideas? Would it help my chances if i took the GRE? Thanks!

does lab work count for anything in public health admissions??

what exactly is "public health experience"?

blindluck said:
does lab work count for anything in public health admissions??

what exactly is "public health experience"?

Hihi!

Public Health experience can mean a lot of things, but it generally means that you have done something that is related to the health of individuals or groups of people that isn't necessarily in a clinical setting. For example, volunteering for certain non-profit organizations like planned parenthood would count, as would paid employment in governmental agencies, etc. If you've helped raise awareness of health issues like HIV/AIDS by teaching or lecturing, or even things such as sexual assault counseling, mental health, or even anything political having to do with healthcare policy/reform might all fall under public health experience. Did you have anything specific in mind?