Columbia Epi MPH Student - Certificates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MistahMark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, for those of you who got into Columbia for this Epi this Fall (or currently enrolled), what certificate did/will you choose any why?

Personally I haven't decided. I want to stray away from more social/behavioral certificates though; too complex!

Let's get some progressive, informative dialogue going!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting this fall for the applied biostat certificate. I've always been a numbers person and wanted to learn how to put those skills to good use, but not in a pure theory sort of way. I think this certificate gives me the best of both worlds, the ability to analyze populations with epi, and the ability to develop and implement new statistical techniques with biostats.

I am doing a certificate in Global Health because you get to go abroad for 6 months! I enjoy travelling and I think it will help putting epi knowledge into a global perspective. Also the global classes are really diverse - I am hoping to take the ones dealing with policy and human rights.

Members don't see this ad :)
Molecular Epidemiology-I was a biochem major and really want to keep an aspect of hard science in my MPH.

I'm also doing Epi with Biostat. I want to get a job related to clinical trials later on so having quantitative skills is definitely useful!

Epidemiology with a certificate in Applied Biostatistics! I picked this certificate because I am one of those weird people who really love math and actually was a engineering student as a undergrad so I've have a really strong background in math and computing. I'm interested in using these skills in public health/Epidemiology. I also think it's practical choice for me and the current job market. Technical skills will be competitive and applicable across a wide variety of disciplines.

For you guys who are taking up the Biostat cert., you must have scored >75th percentile on the quant section of the GRE?

For you guys who are taking up the Biostat cert., you must have scored >75th percentile on the quant section of the GRE?

I did. I think that's one of the requirements for this certificate as well.