OCDFlosser

7+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2010
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
So, I didn't apply to Columbia because their website says you must have 3 science LORs. I did my research beforehand, and when I saw this my heart sank - but I knew I didn't want to lose my $150 dollars by applying there.

Suddenly, I'm reading that people are getting interviews despite only having 2 science LORs. Now, I could add Columbia still. But, what do you guys think? Considering my stats...do I have a chance at Columbia? Is it worth the money at this point?

It was my 2nd choice, and now that it's back in the game, I'd love to apply...but I want to be realistic.

Thanks guys.

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Do you guys think an LOR from Obama would help with Columbia admissions... I mean didn't he go here? OP: that should be your goal.

About the Ads
Aug 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Do you guys think an LOR from Obama would help with Columbia admissions... I mean didn't he go here? OP: that should be your goal.
:scared: Darn it I knew I forgot something about my applications.. time to call/email the White House for a letter....

BobLoblawDDS

Lost and confused
Jul 7, 2010
Status
Dental Student
The opportunity cost of not applying is far greater than $150+$75 IMHO.

Beggars can't be choosers. The fee is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so pony up. Just don't buy so much booze for a little while. ;)

Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
So, I didn't apply to Columbia because their website says you must have 3 science LORs. I did my research beforehand, and when I saw this my heart sank - but I knew I didn't want to lose my $150 dollars by applying there.

Suddenly, I'm reading that people are getting interviews despite only having 2 science LORs. Now, I could add Columbia still. But, what do you guys think? Considering my stats...do I have a chance at Columbia? Is it worth the money at this point?

It was my 2nd choice, and now that it's back in the game, I'd love to apply...but I want to be realistic.

Thanks guys.
The only person that could answer this accurately would be the adcom at Columbia. If you look at the stats & trends; if they accept students with a lower GPA, it tends to be those who have high DAT's. I am leaning towards not applying but if it's your dream school, risk the $150.

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm not confident enough in your stats to say you'd get you an interview at Columbia, even with 3 Science LORs. But if it's your dream school and you have money to burn, no harm in trying.

Sunspear

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
I also heard that they tend to be more ok with lower gpa's but higher dat's, so I thought it'd be realistic for me to apply there (3.4 cgpa, 3.24 sgpa, 3.14 bcp; 22aa, 23ts, 22pat) but I still haven't got an interview despite being in the first batch. :/

OCDFlosser

7+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2010
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm not confident enough in your stats to say you'd get you an interview at Columbia, even with 3 Science LORs. But if it's your dream school and you have money to burn, no harm in trying.
Money to burn...hah.
I wish that were the case.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Lane138

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2010
Status
Dentist
This might not be helpful in your case, but in my case and in other people I've read about on SDN, if you use a committee letter it trumps the specific letter requirements. I had 2 science letters plus two non-science letters.

About the Ads