angelg5

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi Everyone...could someone tell me how are the facilities at Columbia? How are the clinics? Do they use electronic records? Any info would be great! Thanks!

lovechild404

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
under a rock
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i thought the facilities were just fine. all dental schools are about the same in my opinion...specially on the east coast.

pinguette

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
so what is exceptionally good about Columbia...and what is bad about it. I heard it's clinical component is weak and it is also very competitive...true?

i thought the facilities were just fine. all dental schools are about the same in my opinion...specially on the east coast.

About the Ads

lovechild404

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
under a rock
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
columbia IS competitive, but would you expect anything less from an ivy school?

also, there is a rumor about columbia having a weak clinical component but it is FALSE. that rumor has no truth to it. at one time, CU might have had that problem, but it is long gone. also, all dental schools have/had problems but they continually try to change their curriculum in order to better their school.

if you want more info about CU, check out their website. also, post your questions on the Dental Forum so matriculated students can answer. i think if you ask on the PreDental Forum, predents will only answer with limited info...and knowledge based on rumors.

DocPainless

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
I wasn't impressed too. P&S building had peeling walls and inadequate lighting. However, don't know about the instruments they have. I'm sure they are probably uptodate. The surrounding area doesn't feel like downtown NYC and feels broken-down.

Overall, I think it is a pretty good school with good academics.

prez_al

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Their clinics are alright, above average. The graduate clinics are where its at... We didn't get to see Faculty Club since it was taken up by big shot MDs and ended up in a "conference room" lol. There's also one big lecture hall, kinda ghetto... but all schools have ghetto parts.

lovechild404

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
under a rock
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i feel that people who are not impressed with CU's clinics, tend to be people who have never lived on the east coast, in particular nyc.

on the west coast, dschools tend to be more horizontally laid out . on the east coast, everything is built vertically. Because of this architectural difference, dschools on the east coast seem smaller and not as "nice."

If a person is not comfortable living in an urban setting, than CU definitely is not the school for them. They should instead look into schools like Creighton, Loma Linda, etc. It just comes down to personal preference.

I personally love the busy-ness and diversity of nyc...i'm excited to finally start :)

greenday

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
i feel that people who are not impressed with CU's clinics, tend to be people who have never lived on the east coast, in particular nyc.

on the west coast, dschools tend to be more horizontally laid out . on the east coast, everything is built vertically. Because of this architectural difference, dschools on the east coast seem smaller and not as “nice.”

If a person is not comfortable living in an urban setting, than CU definitely is not the school for them. They should instead look into schools like Creighton, Loma Linda, etc. It just comes down to personal preference.

I personally love the busy-ness and diversity of nyc...i'm excited to finally start :)

I found that true too. When i first saw the clinic here I was like YUCK!! But now it seems nice and comfy. Funny how mind changed so quickly.

H2OPOLODENT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Just got back from my interview at Columbia. The CLINICS are nice there and look very new. Its just the BUILDING where these clinics are housed that is old. Kind of an important distinction.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.