Columbia Help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by StarGirl, Jul 30, 2002.

1. StarGirl

StarGirl .....

Just wondering if you guys know what we need to get out of paying the Blue Shield Insurance?

and also if you have financial aid did it refect correctly on your bill? What and who do we contact if it didn't?
    thanks =)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MYDDSDREAM

MYDDSDREAM Member

proof of current and cotinuing coverage

4. JPlay

JPlay Junior Member

Stargirl,

Did you get your bill too? I cringed when I saw it.

Yeah, I was kinda pissed about the MANDATORY Health Science Health Service Fee of 1,093.00. Since I'm still technically employed for the next year, I have my own Blue Cross Insurance. But I called the Student Health Service Enrollment Office, and there is no way to waive that Health Service Fee, even if you have your own insurance!

If you have your own insurance, you can waive the Blue Cross Hospital Plan. You do that by going to the Enrollment Office and filling out a waiver form, submitting a copy of your hospital insurance card, and obtaining a verification of coverage letter. You can also enroll in a Rebate Program, where they send you a rebate for all medical services that are paid through your own insurance. But we have to pay all these insurance fees upfront. :mad:

I read most of this stuff in the brochure and letter that the student health service mailed to us. Well, I guess, what's another thousand dollars compared to what we are paying? :(

BTW, can you post how you checked your Columbia email?

JPlay

5. hopefully

hopefully Member

For billing questions call the number on the back of the bill for dental students. The number is 1-212-305-4100.

6. StarGirl

StarGirl .....

thanks guys :)

I don't know how to get a coverage letter, I called my insurance people already and they said that they don't do anything like that but they just have a booklet... I'll just bring one of those w/ me.

to check your email go to this website:
    https://cubmail.cc.columbia.edu/
    and you just log in :)

did your financial aids show up correctly? I was suppose to get a small scholarship too but that didn't show up as well :(

I am leaving for the east in two days...can't wait to meet you all :)

Star :)

7. nycdds

nycdds Junior Member

Star,

I don't think your booklet will be enough as proof of coverage. Maybe if you have an insurance card with a plan number or something? Anything that shows that you specifically have medical insurance. Your insurance company really should provide that letter for you though. Explain that it's for school.

As far as the financial statement, all my financial aid showed up just fine, though they are all anticipated charges and credits. If a component of your aid isn't showing up, I'd make sure to call 'em up and make sure you aren't getting stiffed.

Have a great trip cross-country. We're waiting for ya on this side of the continent. :D

8. Buckyball

Buckyball Play with my "Buckyballs"

Resident [Any Field]
    hey Stargirl...

E-mail me before you leave!

Bucky