columbia housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

publichealthfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the on campus housing is like?
what are good areas near the school that are affordable/livable/safe??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat -- accepted to CU but with major housing issues.

I've been to Columbia many times (a good friend was an undergrad there) and I've visited the SPH. Let's just say that you'll want to live closer to the undergrad campus (114th & Broadway) than the SPH, School of Medicine, etc (168th). The undegrad campus is in Morningside Heights which is a pretty decent neighborhood. The SPH is in a seedier section with less commercial access and neighborhood feel.

CU, in general, is near/in Harlem. Overall, it is pretty safe (I never felt uncomfortable) and students can walk around the surrounding streets (Amsterdam and Broadway) freely. Of course the wealth of the University and its students attracts the wrong kind of people but CU is generally safe by all of my friends' accounts. It has great subway access that'll get you between the two campuses quickly. The undergrad campus is also very close to the NW corner of the park.

Columbia is one of the largest owners of property in NYC, specifically Manhattan. All of the housing my friend lived in (I saw three different buildings between the times I visited) were pretty nice for NYC standards. Almost everyone at CU lives in their housing.

What I'm not sure about are these two issues:
1) How much does it cost, especially compared to what I'd pay if I hunted on my own?
2) Can I apply to live anywhere in their housing selection (closer to the undergrad campus) or do I have to live near the health sciences complex?

I will be attending the April 11 Visitor's Day and I hope to find out there. Let me know if you hear or find out anything in the meantime.

You going to the visitor's day?

No, I won't be able to go to the Visitor's day but i am trying to go early next week instead.. i can't believe the reservation day is so sooon!!! i feel stressed already..

I'd be interested to know about the same things as you Cster so if anyone has any additional insight..
I have also heard that Columbia housing is pretty nice and reasonable..but that is just third-hand information..

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who lives in Inwood, which is at the very northern tip of Manhattan (but a quick commute to the SPH campus at 168th St.) I'm considering moving up there if I go to Columbia (I live in Brooklyn right now) because it seems like a good neighborhood - she grew up there and still likes it.

I have pretty much decided to go to Columbia for MPH in Epi. I would like to live on campus and I am looking for roommates!

If anyone is interested in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment, let me know. I will also be attending Admitted Student's Day.