1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Columbia Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by grasshopper, Oct 26, 2001.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I went to Columbia the other day for an interview and absolutely fell in love with it, but I've talked to people at other places that had gone different days and not felt that way. What'd you all think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sir William Osler

Sir William Osler Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey grasshopper,

i am with you. I absolutely loved the place. it's definitely number one on my list at this point. I was pleasantly surprised. My interviewer was an amazing guy.

now, let the waiting begin. so long ... so long... :)

4. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am one of the dissenters...

There was every reason for me to like Columbia--my cousin who's my favorite person in the world is a fourth-year there and another good friend of mine from college is a first-year. I was bothered that they only gave us one interview, by how it seemed that they mandated one date without giving us any choice. But mostly I feel that it's just too traditional a curriculum--too much lecture, too many PhDs teaching (not enough doctors). The housing for first-years is awful and I just had a bad vibe from the place. It fell from near atop my list to near the bottom. . .

Does this make any sense??

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

See, I loved the housing for first years. It depends what matters to you. I really want to live in a dorm because I love "the atmosphere" like you get in undergrad (I still live in the dorm after 4 years at a school where hardly anyone stays on campus after 1st year)--it's how I work best at meeting people, plus I don't have to be bothered to cook and clean. But their rooms there are smaller than most places, yup, and not so big. I also loved the spirit of the oldness of the building. Kinda cool. I learn from lectures well, and I thought the students there really felt like they were mastering the material. And everybody I talked to (including my interviewer) was just so EXC?TED about medicine, which I only saw apart from them at Yale (which I also loved but is just a completely different environent). Plus I love neuro, peds, and surgery, which are kind of the things they're tops in. My interview ended up going >1.5 hours, and my interviewer really knew my file and I felt like took a lot of time to get to know me, so I didn't feel slighted in the least. Plus I didn't interview until weeks after the date they gave me, partially because the letter got stuck up after September 11, but they were really nice adn didn't even give it a second thought, on top of which I personally gave them the WRONG DATE for my interview (written in an e-mail by me was a day of the week that didn't correspond to the date), so it was actually scheduled a day earlier, but my interviewer himself actually caught the mistake in my file, and when I didn't show up the day earlier, they politely e-mailed asking what was going on and told me immediately when I called to panic that it was no biggie, how 'bout same time same place tomorrow? Would love to hear any other experiences, though, because it's so hard to know from such brief encounters!