Columbia interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

06applicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been complete at Columbia since late August, but still no interview. Has anyone received an invite from them after being complete for over a month?

I’ve already interviewed or received invites from schools that appear to be more selective in granting interviews, but I’m definitely starting to think Columbia has rejected me pre-interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you are complete? Did you get a complete email? 'cause I thought I was since the end of August, then I found out that they were missing a part of my application (which I sent but they apparently never received!!)and never bothered to let me know! Good thing I decided to call to find out what was going on...So maybe a call might be a good idea IMHO...Good luck!

panorama said:
Are you sure you are complete? Did you get a complete email? 'cause I thought I was since the end of August, then I found out that they were missing a part of my application (which I sent but they apparently never received!!)and never bothered to let me know! Good thing I decided to call to find out what was going on...So maybe a call might be a good idea IMHO...Good luck!

yes, I got a complete email. Did you receive one before you were really complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
06applicant said:
yes, I got a complete email. Did you receive one before you were really complete?[/QUOTE

ok good! well that's a different story then..I was patiently waiting for my complete email...cause I saw that people were having "wait times" of about a month...then i finally decided to call and see what was up....good thing i did.

I got the complete email now, though.

Well since u've been waiting this long AFTER the complete email, maybe you might wanna call to see if all is well and whether your file was sent to review...or send an update if you have anything to add to your file...up to you....or you could just..well..wait..(helpful, i know..)
sorry can't tell you anything new.
Good luck!

They sent me a nice email a few days ago saying that they were waiting for my MCAT scores and all but one of my recc letters (grr... lazy professors)

anybody else get the dumb columbia email just now? saw it in my inbox and for an istant got really excited/scared. then i read it. *psssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!* (sound of air blowing out of my brain)
redundant duplicate email about accessing the secondary url, please disregard if you've already filled it out. hmph.

bubbleyum said:
anybody else get the dumb columbia email just now? saw it in my inbox and for an istant got really excited/scared. then i read it. *psssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!* (sound of air blowing out of my brain)
redundant duplicate email about accessing the secondary url, please disregard if you've already filled it out. hmph.
I was excited for about a half second, but then I remembered that they send interview invites via snail mail. Still very :mad:

when i called them, they said they started looking at apps in early september. they were really behind in the process.

i think they started giving out interviews, but very very few.they are really behind right now, so dont worry. we are all in the same boat.

I just got an invite via snail mail today. I think I was complete for over a month there. They give out predetermined invite days- mine is Nov. 15 I think. My current plan is not to take it, so hopefully one of you will get it!

dajimmers said:
I just got an invite via snail mail today. I think I was complete for over a month there. They give out predetermined invite days- mine is Nov. 15 I think. My current plan is not to take it, so hopefully one of you will get it!

Uhh... I'll take it! In fact, I'm calling dibs.

dajimmers said:
If it weren't for the fact that my fiancee lives in NY, I wouldn't consider going to Columbia after my Michigan acceptance either. ;)

They keep sending those 'complete your secondary' emails for whatever reason. Fair enough. But jeez:...they just rejected me and their still sending the 'complete your secondary' email. Its like salt on my open wound
congrats to all of you with interviews!

BEST OF LUCK

dmtang2 said:
when i called them, they said they started looking at apps in early september. they were really behind in the process.

i think they started giving out interviews, but very very few.they are really behind right now, so dont worry. we are all in the same boat.

This sounds inaccurate given that I started seeing about 10-15 applicants roll through here every day in early September.

attaboybambeeks said:
But jeez:...they just rejected me and their still sending the 'complete your secondary' email.

They rejected you? Sorry. I didn't think they rejected until Feb..

How were you rejected (email or snail)?

bump...is columbia really sending rejections out?

panorama said:
Are you sure you are complete? Did you get a complete email? 'cause I thought I was since the end of August, then I found out that they were missing a part of my application (which I sent but they apparently never received!!)and never bothered to let me know! Good thing I decided to call to find out what was going on.

I had this problem as well. Columbia was one of the very first secondaries that I received (in July), and I had it finished and ready to go less than two weeks later. I had my letters sent from two different sources, one of them being Interfolio.com (which manages my grad school refs). On Interfolio.com, certain schools have an "electronic delivery" option which, in my opinion, is more efficient than regular delivery. Plus it's a dollar cheaper (which doesn't add up to much, but still, money is money). Anyway, I selected this option. Columbia would now have all of my materials. I received what I believed to be a confirmation of completion email, and I settled down to wait patiently.

Fast forward to mid-October. (Note: Nearly THREE MONTHS LATER). I get an email from Columbia's OoA, alerting me to the fact that my application is still incomplete, pending my letters of recommendation. I freaked. I called the office, and apparently they had never received my Interfolio documents. You see, Columbia doesn't accept electronic deliveries. It boggles my mind as to how it was even an option on the Interfolio site (it should only appear as an option for schools that accept them). After a lengthy conversation with Interfolio and Columbia OoA, Interfolio agreed to refund my money and overnight my file. However, this was little consolation, as I was now complete THREE MONTHS after my initial date of submission. I don't know if this will end up affecting my chances of admission, but I'm sure that it won't help. (It turns out that the "confirmation" email that I had received was for the online secondary submission, and was not a "complete" notification.)

Moral of the story: MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE that they have all of your supporting documents, especially if you are using Interfolio. You obviously cannot count on the schools to let you know if your application is complete. Perhaps this is why they keep sending out those "complete your secondary" emails? The lady that I spoke to at the OoA did mention that I was not the only person that this had happened to.

still no word... complete 10/13, starting to wonder if i'll hear before 2006

I never got a complete email, and when I called they wouldn't tell me whether my application was complete or not...

Labslave said:
I was excited for about a half second, but then I remembered that they send interview invites via snail mail. Still very :mad:

i got mine through email