Columbia IS P/F and more info on Boards..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is cut and paste from Allo forum:

SWEET! We get SIX weeks to study for boards! That is the bomb! Hellz yea!!!!!

po' boy
Member # 4728

posted April 07, 2002 04:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi guys,

i'm a first year at columbia, and i also serve on our dean's advisory committee, so i can comment about curriculum changes for next year with accuracy.

next year will be completely pass-fail (no honors) for the first year students. years 2-4 will still be h-p-f. they're going to try this as an experiment for the next few years and see how it goes -- the initiative passed the faculty senate this year by a close margin, so there's debate within the faculty as to whether grades in the first year (and possibly the pre-clinical curriculum in general) are actually important. our dean of student affairs, dean lewis, has personally told us that grades in the first two years are not that important as far as residency applications go. 3rd year is a different story.

a couple of years ago, 2nd years were not given much time to study before boards, as the 2nd years had to take a comprehensive exam in pharmcology/pathophys that was administered by columbia about a week before the exam. this, thankfully, has been done away with, although some felt that it kicked people's asses into studying for a subject that is heavily tested anyway on the boards. now, the 2nd year students (of which my girlfriend is one) have about a month off to study for the boards, and my class will have even more time, aobut 6 weeks, due to some creative rescheduling of classes at the end of first year.

Members don't see this ad.