1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Columbia letters of rec.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by CUDental, May 26, 2008.

1. CUDental

Pre-Dental
    I was looking at Columbia's website today and saw that they want 3 letters from science faculty, no exceptions. Of course, I intelligently double checked letter of rec. requirements after I submitted AADSAS with Columbia on it. I have at this point two science, one non-science, one dentist, and one employer. I know a couple of other schools wanted 3 science, but said they could accept one from another source instead. Does anyone know if Columbia would allow this too? I'll call them after the holiday to make sure, but I'm just hoping there is a chance that I didn't blow extra money on AADSAS...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dackmonkey

dackmonkey i guess i'm floating

Dental Student
    hard to say. at my columbia interview, the interviewer asked me why i only had letters from two science professors, and i told him that there should have been three sent to the school from AADSAS. a few days later they downloaded the third letter from AADSAS, but the point is that i got an interview with seemingly only two letters from science professors. pretty odd and it may have been a complete fluke. call columbia and find out is my advice.

4. sajjy

Dental Student
    But they need 3 science prof if used individually. What if using a pre-dent advisor composite letter?
    Even using a composite letter requires to have 3 science professors?

5. doc3232

Dental Student
    So Columbia wants 3 science, I know Loma Linda wants a clergy letter. What other exceptions are there?

6. summersy

Pre-Dental
    I do not know about the committee letter, but with the dentist I was in the same situation last year. I emailed Dr. McManus and he strongly suggested a third from a science faculty member. In my case I had two chem, one from bio, and one of the dentists that I shadowed. You will love Columbia!!!! Hopefully I will see you next year at your interview. I will be a D1.. If you have any questions about the interview there pm me. Dr. McManus and Davis are upfront and hilarious you will love them

7. Andrew324

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    For people who have gotten interviews so far this year did you have all three sci letters? I only have 2 right now

8. Bruinlove

Pre-Dental
    The director of admissions has told me that you don't need all three letters. So, no worries. :)

9. cherr1pop

Pre-Dental
    yea. i emailed them a few weeks ago and they told me it's fine. although i think they really might prefer ppl with all 3 science letters in..

10. Andrew324

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    K, I have my Organic chem prof, a physics prof, an economics prof, and a dentist

11. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets

Dental Student
    Is an inorgo chem professor, who only taught me for all four chem labs ok. I didnt have her for any science courses per se but i was ve3ry close with her and she is a professor is that ok?? My other 2 were my Organic Professor and my Chairman of biology. Those went into a committee letter together with a letter from my English proffesor as well as a letter from a microbiologist who i researched and published with. That is fine even though I only had 1 of the science professors in an actual class right??

12. dent88

Pre-Dental
    yea i sent in 3 sci and then like a dentist and non sci