Columbia, NYU, Boston, Temple, Tufts, UOP, Detroit (mercy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VancouverDoc2b

TheApprentice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Im just trying to find out where I stand in the applicant pool compared to those who have already been accepted into the dent schools that I listed.

Im Canadian, living in Vancouver, and basically its damn hard to get into Canadian schools. Im sure my fellow canadians can attest to that!! So I wanna come down South.

This is my situation:

My first three years of my undergrad sucked, flat out: GPA 2.8-3.0
My last two years were much improved : GPA 3.8-4.1
P.S I did bachelors in 5 to boost GPA

So Im sitting half way here. My GPA is now at about 3.2

Basically I just wanna know what your stats were, in terms of GPA, work experience, etc etc. So I can see where I stand. Am I unnecessarily worried? Or am I safe??

Oh yeah. I wrote the Canadian DAT and scored 21-23 s

Your guys, and gals help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have very similar stats to yours. I just interviewed at columbia. I think you'll have a good shot there because they respect good DAT scored and improvement. They really care about students who are good test takers. Don't forget to apply early.

hey VancouverDOc.....if YOu get your application into AADSAS in May, then you will see acceptences to all the schools youve listed......guaranteed

Members don't see this ad :)

My last two years were much improved : GPA 3.8-4.1
[/B]

a 4.1 :confused: :confused: :confused:

An A+ is 4.0...how did you get a 4.1???

At UBC A = 4.0 and A+ = 4.33 so 4.1 is possible if youre 86-87%

wow! That does not seem fair to US applicants. Is a canadian GPA converted to a US GPA???

Here it goes as follows:

90-100: A (4.0)

80-89: B (3.0)

70-79: C (2.0)

60-69: D (1.0)

69 and lower: F (0.0) In my undergrad

Cool Down Broc....AADSAS uses the Canadian letter grades to convert to the gPA....so even though its A+ at UBC, AADSAS might not convert it into 4.3

so what GPA do you get in Canada if you score 95% in the class?

Is an 86 an "A" bec of curves??? An "A" should be given if you master the material...an 86% is not mastering the material.

Just curious :cool:

A 95% would be an A+, (4.33)

90+ = A+
85-90 = A
80-84 =A-
76-79 =B+
74-76 = B
70 - 73 = B-

Keep in mind Broc that the average for a standard science class in a Canadian undergrad is a high 60...this is the AVERAGE! So if you get an 86%, yes you have mastered the material, and yes, you are at the top of the class, although it seems low for Americans.

One of my best friends in undergrad is an American undergrad transfer student, and he constantly tells me that getting an 86 in a Canadian Undergrad is very much more difficult than getting an 86 at an American undergrad.

When I went to my Columbia interview, I met a guy from Toronto there, and he told me that all his Canadian classmates are ranked at the top of the classes at Columbia.

Also, I used to work with British exchange students and they all used to tell me that Canadian undergrad was much more difficult than British undergrad. Then I went to England for a year exchange myself, and lo and behold, they were right! :D

Hey VancouverDoc2b,
I know for a fact how difficult it is to get into the UBC dental school. Don't ask me how many times I tried! I graduated from UBC in 1993 in the top 25% of my pharmacy class. I had a 3.41 GPA all five years combined (1 year general science and 4 years pharmacy school). I wrote the DAT twice. The only reason was to improve my carving score. Definitely in the 20's for my averages.
I got into the University of Louisville in 2000 and am now graduating in 4 weeks. Totally in debt but enjoying my southern experience. I am still hoping to get into OMS this year but it is looking bleak.
UBC definitely prepared me well. I am sure you will be able to find a position down here. Apply early. I was lucky I got in. I applied fairly late in the cycle.
Go Canucks GO!

91%-93% = A- at the school I am currently attending... maybe they are using the grading for rocket-sciences.

Originally posted by Brocnizer2007
a 4.1 :confused: :confused: :confused:

An A+ is 4.0...how did you get a 4.1???

Brocnizer,
An A+ is 4.33 in the U.S too. I just checked my course work report by AADSAS. There was a quarter a long time ago that I got all A+'s (3 easy math courses) and thus a GPA of 4.33 in the AADSAS report even though my school only gave it as 4.00. In california, Cal state schools never give A+ to anyone while UC schools do give A+ to top few students in class.