Columbia Off-campus housing!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be attending Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health this fall, and just found out that I didn't get on-campus housing. I'm quite surprised since I was in Category 1 and mailed in the application really early!!! I know there are some others out there in the same position as me, so I thought it would be good if we could search for housing together. A female roommate would be preferable too.

Does anyone know how I can get started on the search/is anyone in search of a roommate?
Any help would be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi st1986-

You are the second person now, in Catagory 1 that I heard didn't get housing! I'm also in Cat 1 and as I type, am waiting for the mail to find out about housing... although it doesn't sound very promising at this point :(

There is a web site on the CUMC page for off-campus housing and Adele is the woman you want to talk to. You can also use a realtor, but they often charge fees that are about equal to one months rent.

If I don't get on campus housing then I'll likely need a roommate too :) Another person on this site started a thread just like this one because she didn't get housing either. I'm sure there will be a bunch of us!

Hello,

I'm going to be attending Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health this fall, and just found out that I didn't get on-campus housing. I'm quite surprised since I was in Category 1 and mailed in the application really early!!! I know there are some others out there in the same position as me, so I thought it would be good if we could search for housing together. A female roommate would be preferable too.

Does anyone know how I can get started on the search/is anyone in search of a roommate?
Any help would be appreciated! :)

This is not looking very promising for me since I too am Category 1 and am unsure if I sent my application early enough. Were you particularly picky about where you wanted to be housed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was not too picky, I think. I did say my first preference was to have apartment housing, while dorms were my second preference. However, they gave us the choice to write down our preferences so I didn't think that would count against me. Also, getting a second/third/fourth preference would be better than nothing at all!
Needless to say, I'm becoming pretty worried - I have never been to New York, so I know very little about the area, AND I'm an international student.

So any and all help would be appreaciated!

Thanks to jkatpp - I called OCHA office and they were of some help. I have just been scrounging Craigslist hoping something will turn up! :(

st1986-

Glad I could be of some help. I have spoken with Adele and she seems very helpful; she's definitely the person to talk with about off-campus housing.

You are the second international student that I've heard didn't get on-campus housing. I can't even imagine what a challenge that will be for you. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way :)

In the meantime, I wait for my housing application decision....

I was not too picky, I think. I did say my first preference was to have apartment housing, while dorms were my second preference. However, they gave us the choice to write down our preferences so I didn't think that would count against me. Also, getting a second/third/fourth preference would be better than nothing at all!
Needless to say, I'm becoming pretty worried - I have never been to New York, so I know very little about the area, AND I'm an international student.

So any and all help would be appreaciated!

Thanks to jkatpp - I called OCHA office and they were of some help. I have just been scrounging Craigslist hoping something will turn up! :(

I am so relieved that there are other Category 1s out there like myself with no place to live...:p I got my letter yesterday and today I decided to find others in the same situation especially in the same program, that perhaps are also looking for roommates and a place to live. I was born in the states but have lived in Toronto most of my life. I will be going down in the summer to look for places. I would prefer to live with female roommates, so if you're interested send me a message.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am in the same boat! I am way down on the waitlist and would prefer a female roommate in the MPH program. If you are still looking, I would love to likes/dislikes etc..with you further.

Gina

I can't believe it... I was offered housing in the Georgian residence. Certainly not my first choice, in fact the option was my second to last choice, but I'm grateful to have been offered something.

congratulations to jaktpp! wonder how early you mailed out your application? :)

As far as when I mailed it... I received the app on a Saturday and mailed it out on Monday morning. My app was received by the housing office on 4/23... if that helps at all :)

congratulations to jaktpp! wonder how early you mailed out your application? :)

Like many others here, I am way down on the waitlist though I'm on the priority group #1. I'm also looking for a female roommate. If you are looking for a roommate, Send me a message please.

hi,
i will be attending Columbia MPH this fall as well and am looking for a female roommate. send me a message if any of you are looking for roommates.

I am also trying to figure out if its better to live near the main campus and commute to the medical campus or just live near Mailman?

Two females seeking a third roommate in Upper West Side (right near Lincoln Center!). Rent and utilities approximately $1000 per month (heat and hot water included).

One year lease beginning September 1st.

Building has indoor laundry facilities, elevator, gym, and doorman.

My roommate and I both work at the Medical Center and take classes at Mailman. We would be very happy to live with another student. Please email [email protected] if you are interested.

me again lotus1 :) according to my cousin who lives in the city and have gone to CU for school, she says to stay around 110th-125th ish area. safer/nicer.. gluck! :)

hi,
i will be attending Columbia MPH this fall as well and am looking for a female roommate. send me a message if any of you are looking for roommates.

I am also trying to figure out if its better to live near the main campus and commute to the medical campus or just live near Mailman?

Just wondering if anyone had any luck finding housing or getting off Columbia's waitlist? Anyone still looking for housing?

I was in the 30s on the waitlist originally and was offered housing last week.

Hey Everyone!

I'm a new student entering Columbia's MPH program this fall 2008 and am completely new to the NYC scene.

If anyone is interested in a housemate, knows of anyone looking for one, or would like to apartment search together, please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to tell you more about myself or answer any other questions you may have.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi!...
I'm looking for a roommate asap!

I live Uptown....Hamilton heights/West Harlem.... close to City College, 2 stops from Columbia University & 3 stops to Columbia Presbytarian...off the 1 Train. Perfect For students....

I have a wonderful 2 bedroom apt. The avail room is fully furnished with a full bedroom set, full size bed, Armoire, 6 draw dresser and original floor to ceiling built in closet and a large window. Apartment has lrg Living room, eat-in kitchen, Hard wood floors, classic moldings and casings as these prewar Apartment buildings are known for.
ALL utilities are included in the $850/mthly rent...including cable & Internet.

Anyone interested?

Hi!

I'm seeking a female roommate in the lovely neighborhood of Hudson Heights (upper west washington heights) at 190th and fort washington ave.

I would love to have a Columbia student! Just a block from the A train and just $700 a month.

Move in ASAP! or April 1 2010

Please contact me if you're interested @ [email protected]

thanks!

Hi.. I have been admitted to mailman school of public health for fall 2010. I am from bombay ( india) and will be arriving nyc in august. Anyone needing a female roommate in nyc/nj do lemme know. Any kinda help will be really appreciated! :) Thanks in advance! Tc

p.s - I am a good cook besides being neat n clean!! :p

Hi.. I have been admitted to mailman school of public health for fall 2010. I am from bombay ( india) and will be arriving nyc in august. Anyone needing a female roommate in nyc/nj do lemme know. Any kinda help will be really appreciated! :) Thanks in advance! Tc

p.s - I am a good cook besides being neat n clean!! :p

Hey Vb10- Since you mentioned you were an international student, I was wondering what kind of funding you received from the school to attend mailman?