Columbia OMFS and UCLA OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exocalibur

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious, how well are you supposed to do on NBME exam to get interviews from these two programs? Do they require 90+?

Members don't see this ad.

only a couple people in the entire country score 90+ on the CBSE

Back in the day I interviewed at both. I know people who interviewed at both with scores as low as the high 60's. It's like any other interview. Maybe they put a little more emphasis on the CBSE, and your chances of an invite have a stronger direct correlation with your score. UCLA only invites 14. I think Columbia invites about 20. So they have to be pickier about their invitations than many programs.

Soapbox time.

I think it's best to do as well as you can. Getting 80+ is a possibility from any dental school as long as you put the time (>200 hours) in. You just need to budget it. Let's say I'm a program director, and I know that applicants know how important this score is, and I know it's possible to achieve these scores with time management. I'm going to assume a higher scorer isn't just more capable intellectually, but probably is more capable of dedicating him or herself to important goals on a long-term basis.

Just do well, and you won't have to ask these questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there are only 10-15 people per test (february or august) that end up scoring an 80+, and perhaps 3-4 that score a 90+. I agree with the poster above. Put in the time, do well and then let other people worry about whether a 60s CBSE is good enough to get an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe there are only 10-15 people per test (february or august) that end up scoring an 80+, and perhaps 3-4 that score a 90+. I agree with the poster above. Put in the time, do well and then let other people worry about whether a 60s CBSE is good enough to get an interview.
Around 10-15 per year**, not per test

Reactions: 2 users
The high was a 86 for one of the tests a few years back.
SDN is really twisting the views of how high you need to get lol.

Reactions: 3 users
More importantly, OP has since matched to a 6 year program with a high 60s CBSE.

Reactions: 1 users