Columbia or Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slam

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been following the posts for a while now, but this is basically my first attempt at starting a thread. I'm hoping for some input here from Canadians and Americans alike.

If given the choice between Columbia and a school in Canada, which would you choose? I don't have this choice (Canadian schools don't send out acceptances until May 31 - at least in Ontario), but upon attending a number of interviews up North, it may arise.

Members don't see this ad.

That depends on any number of things. Like the school that you get into in Ontario, you're future intentions, you're willingness to go $200,000 US into debt to fund your medical career...

Personally, I would say Columbia, over any school in Ontario. But that's just me... You can pay off that amount of debt in the United States without much difficulty, and finding financing is relatively simple. Columbia is an amazing school.

If you want to practice in Canada then you're much better off saving the money and attending a Canadian med school. It'll be easier to get a Canadian residency, and it's about $150,000 cheaper (Cdn. dollars) after 4 years. But if you want to do an American residency and work in the States, the Columbia name would probably help you out.

Congrats on having the opportunity to make this decision... I know it's not official yet, but if you got into Columbia, I doubt you'd be rejected from all the Canadian schools you applied to! :)

Columbia !! (if you wanna practice in the US)