Columbia P&S 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! I'm currently a 1st year ( almost done!!) at P&S and I can say that everyone is really looking forward to revisit weekend. You will find out that the best thing about P&S are your classmates and future colleagues and its awesome getting to know everyone while you go through school together. Ok, that's the end of my Columbia plug :).

Members don't see this ad.

woohoo! yeah! can't wait for revisit.

Members don't see this ad :)
They finally sent us a schedule. Surprisingly, they emailed it.

yeah I just got it. Seems like it will be a lot of fun. I'm excited for the more in-depth tour. The one we had during our interview was a little short. I never got to see the anatomy lab and I really want to see what it's like.

yeah I just got it. Seems like it will be a lot of fun. I'm excited for the more in-depth tour. The one we had during our interview was a little short. I never got to see the anatomy lab and I really want to see what it's like.

While the tour will be more in-depth than what you saw on your interview day, I don't think the inside of the anatomy lab is on the tour unfortunately. I don't remember seeing it on my revisit tour last year. I can double check though. If it's not, we can totally describe it for you.

While the tour will be more in-depth than what you saw on your interview day, I don't think the inside of the anatomy lab is on the tour unfortunately. I don't remember seeing it on my revisit tour last year. I can double check though. If it's not, we can totally describe it for you.

I'm sure we can ask a medical student to show it to us even if its not officially part of the tour, right?

Does anyone know when we can expect to receive our financial aid packages? Thanks!

Does anyone know when we can expect to receive our financial aid packages? Thanks!

The Financial Aid Handbook says we should hear back "no later than the beginning of May."

I heard at some med schools it is hard to get into the electives that you want when you want them during clinical rotations. I know at Einstein it's a random lottery, and the students there don't like that. What is it like at P&S?

Hey, did everyone get a CU ID number in their offer of admission? I can't seem to find mine and I need it to check my finaid status...

Hey, did everyone get a CU ID number in their offer of admission? I can't seem to find mine and I need it to check my finaid status...
Nope, I don't recall ever getting an CU ID. Furthermore, I don't know if anyone has gotten their financial aid package yet. However, in the latest revisit email they said that the Financial Aid office would be available to talk to us about our packages during revisit weekend provided that we scheduled an appointment.

Has anyone received their host information for revisit yet?

I was wondering that too. Anybody get host information?

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt recieve my host info either but im staying with a 2nd year friend there so im not sweating it.

anybody know the dress code for second look? I'm assuming business casual, but I'm not entirely certain.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it would be pretty casual? I could definitely be wrong in which case I need to unpack and repack.

Hm, I still haven't received my host information. I'm going to call this afternoon if I don't hear by this morning.

Hey, current students: Are there research opportunities available to the students during the school year at P&S? And, are the researchers welcoming or do they make you beg/compete for spots? Thanks.

Hey, current students: Are there research opportunities available to the students during the school year at P&S? And, are the researchers welcoming or do they make you beg/compete for spots? Thanks.

yes, yes and no (no to the begging or competing)

when is orientation/first day of classes? i was just accepted off the waitlist on monday (yay!), so I don't know many specifics. after you accept do you receive more information, besides the financial aid stuff?

when is orientation/first day of classes? i was just accepted off the waitlist on monday (yay!), so I don't know many specifics. after you accept do you receive more information, besides the financial aid stuff?

Congrats! Orientation starts 8/17/09 and classes begin 8/24/09.

Hey, can anyone comment on the following?

How close knit is the class? Do they interact socially outside of class? At NYUMed, they have parties and formals all the time together (fun times)...
Is the faculty open to students? I know that this is NYC, so the people are sometimes super-busy with whatever they have to do and forget about the existence of students... is this the case at P&S?
Do students get to do more than just shadow during their first year?

Other comments about Columbia (good or bad, especially the bad)?
I am trying to decide whether I should go to Columbia and I am torn. Thanks!!!

Hey, can anyone comment on the following?

How close knit is the class? Do they interact socially outside of class? At NYUMed, they have parties and formals all the time together (fun times)...
Is the faculty open to students? I know that this is NYC, so the people are sometimes super-busy with whatever they have to do and forget about the existence of students... is this the case at P&S?
Do students get to do more than just shadow during their first year?

Other comments about Columbia (good or bad, especially the bad)?
I am trying to decide whether I should go to Columbia and I am torn. Thanks!!!
The class seemed very close knit. It is actually the only place I visited were most students knew many people outside of their own class. Second years seemingly do a lot for 1st years and 1st years do a lot for incoming students. I don't know about the having all the parties and formals together, but from I've gathered students try to coordinate post-exam parties, are generally close. Another thing, P&S clubs bring a lot of people together as well.

The class seemed very close knit. It is actually the only place I visited were most students knew many people outside of their own class. Second years seemingly do a lot for 1st years and 1st years do a lot for incoming students. I don't know about the having all the parties and formals together, but from I've gathered students try to coordinate post-exam parties, are generally close. Another thing, P&S clubs bring a lot of people together as well.

Anotherface covered a bunch of stuff, all of which is true. There is more than enough fun stuff to do with classmates. I'll just add that faculty are open to students. I've had great experiences shadowing some of my profs in the OR and have considered certain specialties as a result. As far as shadowing/clinical stuff is concerned, I guess the amount you get to do as a first year really depends on who you're shadowing. I've had the chance to do some hands on stuff, I've got a friend who got to help suture a stab wound, etc, etc. Oh and there's the transplant pager, which gets passed on to first years who are interested. Basically when you get the pager and it goes off, you go with the Columbia team to help harvest the organ wherever it is (could be at Presby, could be in Mississippi, Puerto Rico, wherever), and when you come back, you have the option of scrubbing in on that surgery.

Any accepted P&S students turning down Weill Cornell to go to P&S? I was lucky enough got into both and I'm torn as to which one to go to. I am curious to know why people would turn down one or the other in this application cycle.

Any accepted P&S students turning down Weill Cornell to go to P&S? I was lucky enough got into both and I'm torn as to which one to go to. I am curious to know why people would turn down one or the other in this application cycle.

I didn't get into Cornell, but I had chosen Columbia above them anyways. I liked the fact that Columbia's students were so excited about Columbia. I probably saw 50+ students pop into the waiting room to tell the interviewees about how much the loved Columbia. Plus, I liked all of the student activities, etc. It was a fit thing more than a quality thing.

No, the curriculum read out says that we take Step I after our major clinical year. So at the end of 3rd year.

No, the curriculum read out says that we take Step I after our major clinical year. So at the end of 3rd year.

Oh I know, its just that I was wondering if maybe there was a 2-4 week break after 3rd year to study. It just seems like most 3rd years tend to be pretty intense without having to study for the Step 1. Like maybe you can take a few weeks of your 4th year off to study?

I'm sure they'll work something in. After all, it is in their best interests for all of us to pass!

do the financial aid packages come in the mail, or is there an online location where you can view them?

Oh I know, its just that I was wondering if maybe there was a 2-4 week break after 3rd year to study. It just seems like most 3rd years tend to be pretty intense without having to study for the Step 1. Like maybe you can take a few weeks of your 4th year off to study?

The discussion has been to give you 4-6 weeks plus 1-2 wks for vacation after the MCY and before you start your scholarly projects. It's not set in stone yet, but those are the numbers getting thrown around in the meetings. They want to a) give you enough time to study and do well, and b) give you enough time so that you don't feel like you need to start studying for boards at the expense of your last rotation or two.

is everyone planning on living in bard hall? i was accepted off the waitlist this week so missed the revisit weekend... did they talk at all about housing? it seems like the rooms in bard are super expensive for what you can get in the area...

I'm planning on it because it seems like that's the place where a lot of hanging out occurs. I'm sure that you could live nearby and have the same feeling though!

Hey all, I just got accepted off of the waitlist but I'm torn between Yale and Columbia, although I'm leaning strongly towards Columbia. The only thing is that Yale students seem to be really happy and a lot of it has to do with the lack of grades. I'm trying to get more detailed info about grading and the curriculum for class of 2013 at Columbia. Anyone have details or want to post a link?

Hey all, I just got accepted off of the waitlist but I'm torn between Yale and Columbia, although I'm leaning strongly towards Columbia. The only thing is that Yale students seem to be really happy and a lot of it has to do with the lack of grades. I'm trying to get more detailed info about grading and the curriculum for class of 2013 at Columbia. Anyone have details or want to post a link?

Grading at Columbia is Pass/Fail during the pre-clinical years, with a more tiered grading system for clinical years (H/HP/P/F?).

Here's a link with some info about the curriculum:
http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/ps/p_students/psCurriculum_intro.html

I personally thought that both student bodies were really happy. I think what you should be more concerned with is which curriculum do you jive more with. 1.5 years of pre-clin or 2 years of ungraded pre-clin?

Anyone ever got into Columbia with similar stats?

Employed Engineer
MCAT 34R
3.64 Undergrad GPA
4.0 Grad GPA (@ Columbia)
200+ volunteer (@ NYP/Columbia Med Center)

This probably isn't the best forum to ask in. Why don't you pick up a copy of the MSAR? I'd guess that the answer to your question is yes though.

Just got my housing assignment. I'll be living with a window towards Haven Ave. Crazy thing is, my apartment complex that I live in now is called The Haven, and is situated on a road called Broadway Road (not NYC). Now I'll be spending the next year living off of Haven facing Broadway Road. Coincidink, or fate? :laugh: