Lemmiwinks

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
40
0
38
Colorado
Status
Alright, I guess I'll start this up. So who's thinking of going to Columbia this fall? :cool:
 

pynkpep

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
15
0
Status
I'm going this fall..I'm extremely excited! :D
 

djali

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
19
0
Status
Medical Student
I'm guardedly excited? I'm psyched about the school, though worried the classes are going to kick my ass.
 

dewzen

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
48
0
36
Status
Definitely going. So psyched I could hardly believe that I got in. Actually, I really shouldn't have.
What is everyone's plan regarding living, you guys planning on Bard hall or what.
How about all that financial aid crap, that's all due pretty soon, eh?
 

pynkpep

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
15
0
Status
dewzen said:
Definitely going. So psyched I could hardly believe that I got in. Actually, I really shouldn't have.
What is everyone's plan regarding living, you guys planning on Bard hall or what.
How about all that financial aid crap, that's all due pretty soon, eh?

Yea, i'm going to live at Bard Hall, and i'm going to fill out that financial aid stuff this friday hopefully. Isn't it funny that none of us know each other that well, and in the next 4 years that won't be the case at all? Also, the replies to this thread seem pretty sparse. We lucky few.
 

adiddy1422

Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
30
0
Status
I'm deciding between cheap tuition at my state school and P&S. I'll probably wait until fin aid packages come in.
 

MiaFLSurf

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
99
0
The Illadelph
Status
Ill be there in the Fall, living in Bard.....and Ill be on the rugby team.

Ill be the Miami guy that cant stand not being able to get away from the freakin cold weather that Ive had to get used to (but never can) for the last 4 years.

City life will be great....I mean, I love the Beach life in Miami...but NYC....Ill be going out every night. Pass/Fail is Gods gift to Med Students.
 

msafain

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
52
1
Holliston, MA
Status
Medical Student
95% sure Ill be there in the fall. Prob living in Bard Hall. Wanted to congratulate all of you and hope to see you all soon.
 

dewzen

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
48
0
36
Status
what is the deal with cars and NYC. Heard it's ridiculously expensive. Ditch the or other alternatives?
 

ComfortableWolf

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
143
0
Status
dewzen said:
what is the deal with cars and NYC. Heard it's ridiculously expensive. Ditch the or other alternatives?
Get rid of the car...it will be a huge burden in the City an public transporattion is so good you can get anywhere you need to
 
OP
Lemmiwinks

Lemmiwinks

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
40
0
38
Colorado
Status
dewzen said:
what is the deal with cars and NYC. Heard it's ridiculously expensive. Ditch the or other alternatives?
Definitely lose the car if possible. A car in Manhattan is practically useless. Besides, riding the subway is a craaaazy time when you're drunk!
 

dewzen

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
48
0
36
Status
Yea, I was afraid that was going to be the concensus. It's gonna be difficult letting her go though, the blue rooster and I have been through some great times.


Any idea how strict they are with those march 18 deadlines? I need to go through the financial stuff with my dad and he's away on business for a week.
 

dewzen

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
48
0
36
Status
how old will everyone be in the fall?. I'll be twenty one, I already feel young at my undergrad for my class, more of the same in med school I imagine.

Not much response on this thread, are a lot of people still waiting to hear?
 

The Remix

Liberal by necessity
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
218
0
NYC
Status
dewzen said:
how old will everyone be in the fall?. I'll be twenty one, I already feel young at my undergrad for my class, more of the same in med school I imagine.

Not much response on this thread, are a lot of people still waiting to hear?
I'm 22.
 

The Remix

Liberal by necessity
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
218
0
NYC
Status
dewzen said:
Any idea how strict they are with those march 18 deadlines? I need to go through the financial stuff with my dad and he's away on business for a week.
Dewz, just call the FinAid office and explain your situation, they're really nice(er) once you tell them you've been accepted. ;)
 

tedrik

mifune
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
256
0
Status
see you guys in the fall! I'll definitely be living in Bard too, they didn't seem nearly as bad as what people make them out to be.

goodbye car, goodbye california!!
 

pynkpep

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
15
0
Status
dewzen said:
how old will everyone be in the fall?. I'll be twenty one, I already feel young at my undergrad for my class, more of the same in med school I imagine.

Not much response on this thread, are a lot of people still waiting to hear?

I'll be 22. :thumbup:
 

Karl Hungus

Deine kable needz fixing?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
25
0
NYC
Status
Medical Student
24 here. ugh. what happened to my youth?
 

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
778
1
Status
Medical Student
At least half (if not more) will have taken at least 1 yr off. I'd say the majority of your classmates will be around 23-24. A good amount of ppl in their mid 20s. Less in their late 20s-early 30s. Oldest student in my class just turned 34. One also had a baby over winter break!

bonnie
 

tedrik

mifune
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
256
0
Status
do you guys know if we get cable tv included in Bard?? I wont make it without sports center.
 

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
778
1
Status
Medical Student
tedrik said:
do you guys know if we get cable tv included in Bard?? I wont make it without sports center.
ha! u will soon learn that NOTHING is included.
free cable on 11th floor lounge (large LCD tv and pool table)

bonnie
 

tedrik

mifune
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
256
0
Status
dang it! maybe nyu would have been a better bet, don't they get free cable?? ahh well, I'll try to get a view of the river so I'll have something to look at.
 

SaraL124

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
266
1
Status
So here's my question about Bard. There are no kitchens bc they are single dorm rooms. And there is no dining hall bc it's not at the same location as the UG campus. So what do people eat who live in Bard? Take-out every night??
 

pynkpep

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
15
0
Status
Any other unexpected surprises that we should expect, bonnie? This whole food business is very disconcerting..i can't cook at all...any advice?
 

adiddy1422

Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
30
0
Status
dewzen said:
how old will everyone be in the fall?. I'll be twenty one, I already feel young at my undergrad for my class, more of the same in med school I imagine.

Not much response on this thread, are a lot of people still waiting to hear?
I'll be 21 also
 

tedrik

mifune
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
256
0
Status
SaraL124 said:
So here's my question about Bard. There are no kitchens bc they are single dorm rooms. And there is no dining hall bc it's not at the same location as the UG campus. So what do people eat who live in Bard? Take-out every night??
Isn't there a cafeteria at the med school? I would assume there is at least one...right???
 

SarahGM

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
863
1
39
upper upper UPPER west side
Visit site
Status
There is a small food facility called the Recovery Room on the first floor of Bard. There are also street vendors and local restaurants that are very cheap. I, for one, cooked a lot in the 11th floor kitchen and ate a lot of leftovers. Almost everyone I know has a fridge and a microwave in their room.

Now I'm in the towers... yay kitchen! :love:
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
If you don't live in Bard, where else would you suggest? I'm used to an apartmernt; it's hard to go back to dorm life, shared bathroom, no private kitchen and no cable....
 

tedrik

mifune
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
256
0
Status
I was looking at the different types of rooms that we can get in Bard, but do we get to choose or is it random? I was thinking of going for the cheapest one that's about $10/day, but I would probably get jealous of the people with the river view.

Have you guys thought about what type of room you're going to get, or do we not even get a choice?
 

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
778
1
Status
Medical Student
Psycho Doctor said:
If you don't live in Bard, where else would you suggest? I'm used to an apartmernt; it's hard to go back to dorm life, shared bathroom, no private kitchen and no cable....
Many options. You can live off off campus (i.e. not wash heights) it will be more expensive though - I'd say at least $200-500 more per month! Rent in the heights is about 500-700 (shared apts of course).

Best option of staying on campus is to find a vacancy in the towers. About 4-5 of us were able to pull it off. When you come here for revisit, come find me and also go to the housing office in Bard - outside there is a bulletin board with off campusing housing openings. it''s a bit early to really do anything about this, so don't worry about it now. I'd say that for the ppl who did not choose Bard - most of us are in the Towers or nearby apts. Some live on the upper west side. And a few live below midtown.

Key thing is to find a place off the1/9/ A if you do live off campus - preferably A since it's express.

Bonnie
 

SarahGM

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
863
1
39
upper upper UPPER west side
Visit site
Status
tedrik said:
I was looking at the different types of rooms that we can get in Bard, but do we get to choose or is it random? I was thinking of going for the cheapest one that's about $10/day, but I would probably get jealous of the people with the river view.

Have you guys thought about what type of room you're going to get, or do we not even get a choice?
Try to check them out when you're there for revisit. I fell in love with the "30" room, and I was quick to return my housing form late spring. I ended up with room 830! It was big and beautiful, and for a dorm (yuck) it was great.

Like Bonnie said, talk to some first years when you're at revisit. You just might find somebody looking for a roomie (possibly me, actually... a third in our three-bedroom) for the upcoming year. And I know people (DEFINITELY me) are looking for subletters over the summer... so if you'll be doing research at Columbia or just hanging out in the city, whatever... let me know! Have I got a deal for you!
 

Oak

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
49
0
NYC
Status
dcham said:
Hey guys! I'm 99% sure I'll be at Columbia in the fall. I'm 22 and will be living in Bard. OK back to spring break :D
Looks like i'm not the only WashU person who's probably going to Columbia next year! :D
 

MiaFLSurf

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
99
0
The Illadelph
Status
Guys,

Im filling out this Financial Aid form and Im super confused on the Parent's Form.

On the back, #36, that chart you have to make, what exactly do they mean Parents Contribution and Total Financial Aid?
Is that just for educational costs that our parents paid for college aged students in the family or is that for all financial purposes?
My grandmother lives with us, my parents support her, but do I still put 0s in the columns for her sincec she isnt in college?
This form is super vague.....
 
OP
Lemmiwinks

Lemmiwinks

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
40
0
38
Colorado
Status
tedrik said:
I was looking at the different types of rooms that we can get in Bard, but do we get to choose or is it random? I was thinking of going for the cheapest one that's about $10/day, but I would probably get jealous of the people with the river view.

Have you guys thought about what type of room you're going to get, or do we not even get a choice?
OK here's what I know:

My tour guide at P&S had that $8 room. And it looked like the most miserable thing I've ever seen. I mean, I can deal with a dorm room cell block just like the next guy, but that thing was a fire hazard. She opened it up for us and let us go in one by one (because that's all that could fit at a given time). I'm serious, you literally had enough room to turn around...and you have to do that carefully.

Let's say that's $9 / day, that would amount to $2628 per year (292 days according to P%S website).
The $16-$17 rooms which were MUCH nicer would cost $4672-$4964 a year.

So you do save money by getting that small crate of a room, but be prepared to sleep standing up. :laugh:
 

The Remix

Liberal by necessity
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
218
0
NYC
Status
Lemmiwinks said:
Let's say that's $9 / day, that would amount to $2628 per year (292 days according to P%S website).
The $16-$17 rooms which were MUCH nicer would cost $4672-$4964 a year.

So you do save money by getting that small crate of a room, but be prepared to sleep standing up. :laugh:
They budget $6821 for housing in your FinAid package. So if you choose the cell block you can put $3653 somewhere else in your budget. As far as the trade-off, it probably depends on how you study. I hardly spend any time in my room now in undergrad so it may not be such a bad trade for folks like me. Also, I lived in a riverside room in Bard for a summer program. The view was nice but the sun sets directly across from your window. It can get annoying if you like to keep the shades up.
 

dcham

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
179
0
Status
Medical Student
Is anyone else thinking about doint research at Columbia over the summer? I haven't gotten any info about about working yet so I was a curious if you all have. Does anyone know who to talk to or if there are specific programs available?
 

tedrik

mifune
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
256
0
Status
Lemmiwinks said:
OK here's what I know:

My tour guide at P&S had that $8 room. And it looked like the most miserable thing I've ever seen. I mean, I can deal with a dorm room cell block just like the next guy, but that thing was a fire hazard. She opened it up for us and let us go in one by one (because that's all that could fit at a given time). I'm serious, you literally had enough room to turn around...and you have to do that carefully.

Let's say that's $9 / day, that would amount to $2628 per year (292 days according to P%S website).
The $16-$17 rooms which were MUCH nicer would cost $4672-$4964 a year.

So you do save money by getting that small crate of a room, but be prepared to sleep standing up. :laugh:
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try to turn in my housing app ASAP to get one of the nicer rooms. Does anyone know if they have the updated prices for the rooms? All I can find are those old ones from 2000.
 
OP
Lemmiwinks

Lemmiwinks

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
40
0
38
Colorado
Status
dcham said:
Hey guys what are most of you doing for the summer? Are you going to be doing research at Columbia or take the summer off?
I haven't really heard anything about summer research yet, but I think I'm gonna take the summer off. My job ends June 20th, and then I want to travel, go to the beach, and party.
 

Karl Hungus

Deine kable needz fixing?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
25
0
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Research this summer? Oh, pshaw. I am planning on playing a crap-ton of Halo 2. and drinking... and maybe some bowling. but mostly drinking.
 
OP
Lemmiwinks

Lemmiwinks

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
40
0
38
Colorado
Status
So who is planning on going to re-visit weekend? I heard a rumor that the second year students take us out and show us a good time. sounds like it could be a lot of fun.
 

djali

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
19
0
Status
Medical Student
Lemmiwinks said:
So who is planning on going to re-visit weekend? I heard a rumor that the second year students take us out and show us a good time. sounds like it could be a lot of fun.
Me! I'll be there starting the Friday of it anyways
 

leverp2000

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2004
198
0
Status
tedrik said:
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try to turn in my housing app ASAP to get one of the nicer rooms. Does anyone know if they have the updated prices for the rooms? All I can find are those old ones from 2000.
In the little blue pamphlet about University housing, the back pocket contains a sheet with a listing of prices and the layout of the rooms at Bard for this past year 04-05. The cheap "28" room was $9.75.

Have you guys submitted the request for housing application? Why does it needs to be sent by certified mail?
 

The Remix

Liberal by necessity
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
218
0
NYC
Status
leverp2000 said:
Have you guys submitted the request for housing application? Why does it needs to be sent by certified mail?
It probably makes them feel more important
 

The Remix

Liberal by necessity
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
218
0
NYC
Status
dcham said:
I'm thinking about going to the revisit weekend. I'm confused do you only have a host for that thursday? I was thinking about flying in on wednessday night or staying through saturday morning.
I thought it was that thursday and friday. But my folks just got something in the mail today about a parents day that saturday. But I did get an email with a tentative schedule. We're going to a Broadway show and to Dr. Hutcherson's house (it could be on MTV cribs I heard)!

Oh, and if your on the east coast you might be able to get an independence air ticket for cheap. They're giving college student discounts now. I got a round trip to JFK for $110