Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Columbia P&S Student Life

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by benbk, Nov 25, 2005.

1. benbk

benbk Cliente registrado
    5+ Year Member

Im a first-year with P&S. Here's a site with a lot of pictures of our class so far this year:

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~benbk/medicine

Check it out; Columbia is very diverse, NYC is a great place to be, and we all have plenty of fun outside of the classroom. Look me up if you have any questions.

Best,
    Ben

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. benbk

benbk Cliente registrado
    5+ Year Member

4. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cool pics. It's looks like you guys really know how to balance studying with fun time. However, I am not too sure if I could tell how diverse your class really is from those pictures.

That's cool you guys are having fun though!
    When it comes to studying are most of you pretty encouraging?
    cya!

5. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the insight. Now if only I can get an interview. ;)

6. 06applicant

06applicant Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks for sharing the picks, it looks like you guys have fun.

But on a side note, what diversity were you talking about? Hair color?

7. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I wanted to say that but I did not want to push the issue too much....I guess you could say perception is in the eye of the perceiver :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (???). Maybe that is as diverse a class he has ever been in.

But then again he could mean diversity in terms of interests not portrayed in these pictures.

8. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

I held back on saying that too.

9. mcnugget

mcnugget Membership Revoked
    Removed

I guess you must be getting your surrounding community members confused with your class!
    "DIVERSE"....haha...that's funny! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. lazygunner

lazygunner Formerly letmein10
    5+ Year Member

Looks awesome...just send the acceptance on over and i'll be more than happy to pose for some pics

11. rosenblum

rosenblum Membership Revoked
    Removed

I recently had my columbia interview. It didn't strike me as being very diverse. Seemed like half the freshman med students did their undergrads at harvard. :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

12. oompa loompa

oompa loompa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Most medical schools, including Columbia, do need to work on diversity...however, you really can't tell how diverse a whole class is based on one guy's pictures. Sure, most of the people in his pics are white. Who cares? Don't you remember the good old days of undergrad when you had all these seminars on diversity and race, yet you still had the jocks, blacks, asians, theatre people, etc. self-segregating...in other words, a school can have a lot of racial diversity but a lot of minority students are still more comfortable hanging out in their own chicano/asian/black student organizations, and is there really anything wrong with that? Is it really anyone's fault?

13. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

No there is nothing wrong with that. Just dont post pictures and say: see look how diverse my class is!!!!
    People were responding more to the fact that he thinks his pictures represent true diversity (diversity that he will face sooner or later when he enters the work field).
    I feel more comfortable hanging out with other afr. americans but I also know that THAT IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF TRUE DIVERSITY.

I think the ultimate goal would be for society to reach a point where people no longer feel like self-identification drives our tendency to form friendships. Unfortunately, that will never end b/c we are human and caught up on who is better than whom.

14. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

what's with columbia and rugby? Do you need to be an Abercrombie & Fitch model to get in there?

15. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    it's in our genes to form social units that are based upon people who are more closely identify to our race... the world is not this ideal place where all races are on equal footing either (ignorning soci-economic disadvantages)... if institiuitons were not so hell bent on not investing money into research on race and IQ tests b/c of political reasons we would see some interesting results I believe... we might finally learn that as a whole Asians are more inclined intellectually than whites are, and it's not just socially it's biological... but I digress.... my point is that the US today is so caught up in making sure their is diversity it fails to realize that mankind's biological evolution has not caught up to it's current culture of "political correctness"

16. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

You speak as if you not only have the proof to back up your statement but are engaged in such research. I would like to see you conduct a longitudinal study where you take one person from each ethinicty and chart their intellectual growth. If the US were homogenous then I would champion your idea. But the fact of the matter is that in regions where diversity is emphasized stereotypes are broken and society advances as a whole. You would probably have loved to live here back in the 40's through the 70's.

What you are preaching is stupidity! Is it really in our genes to associate with people who share a similar background or do we do that as a consequence of our environment?

If that were the case then a caucasian baby regardless of age would rather be reared by a white person with which he has not initial connection than a black woman who may have given birth to him (due to a mixup in artificial insemination of course).
    If I misunderstood what you said, please explain.

17. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For the most part stereotypes proliferate for a reason... sure their are always exceptions... and you are right as times move on in the U.S. people are breeding more and more outside their racial circles, but that isnt stopping the existence of distinct racial profiles...

18. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Imprinting from mother to child is a completely seperate matter altogether. Why is it so hard for you to believe that people of the same race have a genetic predisposition to connect with people of their own race? Despite what this philosophical world would have you think we are on this Earth for one purpose and this is to copy our DNA through the production of offspring. Separate species are formed when a variance occurs in one species that causes one group of the species to be cut off from the rest of the original breeding population due to geographical/anatomy/etc.. reasons. Now our distinct racial profiles developed out of this. Without our modern day mobility and interbreeding the advancement of our evolution maybe 600,000 years down the road would probably have yielded distinct species of blacks, whites, asians, and so forth. To deny the role genes play in our lives is of the highest level of stupidity.

19. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

True, but racial profiling stems from races being associated with specific socio-economic classes. I am afr. amer., for instance, and I get profiled. However, I grew up in an upper middle class family where education. So, although I do not fit the typical black stereotype, I do experience the profiling that results.

But then again profiling (stereotyping) is a product of human nature. The only way you break them is by emphasizing diversity in workfields/communities/ all social facets. Ignorance is bliss b/c it allows for you to form the stereotypes since you have no opposing point of view/way of life as a comparison.

20. 06applicant

5+ Year Member

It has scientifically been shown that biological races don't exist. Being a pre-med, your opinions and ideas should be shaped by sound scientific research, not the editorials on Fox News. I'd be glad to have a discussion on this topic with you, but you’ll need a stronger scientific background first – I suggest you read up on evolutionary biology and related topics, then get back to me.

21. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for that sound information... can you tell me what study you found this ground-breaking infromation from? I'd really like to know... b/c if you cannot cite it, I really think you have no basis yourself to state it...

22. 06applicant

5+ Year Member

Are you serious? This is far from groundbreaking information; it’s been available for decades in peer-review scientific journals (and continues to grow). I don’t need to cite anything -- if you’re not comfortable with reading the primary literature, I’m sure you can find this information summarized in almost any textbook on the topic. Just pick one at your level and enjoy.

23. bobito

bobito Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You guys are acting like deuche bags.
    Columbia has a minority enrollment of 37 %. whatever. who cares.
    I saw all sorts of ethnicities in those pictures. who gives a rats ass.
    It didn't really look like the people in the pictures cared what ethnicity their friends were. people are people. it doesn't matter. find something better to argue about.

On another note. To the OP thanks for sharing the pictures. It was good to get a glimpse into the social life at your school. I'm always curious as to whether I'll actually have time to have fun once the whole things starts.

24. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

Dont take those stats for face value. They include minorities in undergrad as well.

25. 06applicant

5+ Year Member

I simply thought it was funny the OP mentioned diversity when pointing us to those pictures.

Don't feel you have to be so quick to defend lack of diversity. There will be plenty of whites at med school to make you feel comfortable.

26. bobito

bobito Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Its from Usnews, specific to the med school. I don't know where they got their info, but it likely is just the med school. underrepresented minorities are 15%, according to them. The numbers look to be pretty normal....particularly the underrepresented number.

anyway good luck on the admissions process guys...I'd still be willing to bet that the ethnicity of your classmates won't be a pressing issue once you get into school. But if you are looking for more diversity of the top 10...Harvard has the most. so get going to harvard.

27. PhotoMD

PhotoMD Rad!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is more to diversity than race, which is but a small component. How about diversity in experiences, diversity in upbringing, diversity of interests and hobbies, or diversity of goals? Each of these are just as important if not more important than racial diversity. I would say that prizing these forms of diversity makes it more likely that we will become more colorblind.

With regard to the apparent lack of diversity of undergraduate institution, I must point out that it becomes completely irrelevant once you are a medical student. I am sure that, for the most part, high school institution became irrelevant upon entering college for a majority.

28. Bernito

Bernito Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think this statement is being misunderstood. There are no genetic reasons why minorities are "not on equal footing", only environmental. That is the driving force behind recruiting URMs.

Of course there is more to diversity, as you point out. It's pretty clear that med schools are actively recruiting people with varied experiences, just as they are recruiting URMs.

But it is highly relevant. It will become irrelevant when, for example, the Hispanic % at Columbia reaches about 15% (which is the percent of the NY popl'n that is Hispanic), hence the "under-represented" distinction.

29. PhotoMD

PhotoMD Rad!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not sure you're trying to have it both ways, but some of the posters definitely are. One can't wish that race weren't an issue at all and then make it a front-and-center issue by asking for quotas. Quotas (or making certain race proportions in admissions a goal, same thing) are not a black-or-white issue, and rehashing that discussion is beating a dead horse.

I think that diversity of experiences is much more important than simple racial diversity. Race is one way in which experiences are felt, but there are many, many others. Sexual orientation? Socioeconomic status? Work? Academics? Equally relevant.

30. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

US news get those stats from the schools, which give them the numbers that include undergrad percentages as well.

About Harvard: My friend who is an MS3 there now said that they do have a very diverse class.
    we will see

31. lucklucknow

lucklucknow Membership Revoked
    Removed

Wow, I can't beleive people let you get away with making this post???? Very racist and hateful :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Stop reading stormfront.org and get a reality check!!!