Columbia, Penn or U. Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Jay

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which school to go to. Here are my thoughts:

Right now, I would say 1)Penn, 2)Columbia and 3)Chicago

Reasons:
Penn. I like the curriculum at Penn the best -- 1.5 years of basic science, less lectures, honors not based on curve. Location -- in a decent city and on undergrad campus. Cost of living low. Excellent reputation. Worried about cost and the fact that Columbia may better for orthopedic surgery, which I want to go into. I think I fit in better with the students at columbia, but I like the curriculum less than at Penn and the area where I would be living would be MUCH more expensive and more unsafe.

I held on to my Chicago acceptance because I really liked the students there and they all seemed very happy. However, I don't think Chicago has the same reputation as Penn and Columbia.

I should get financial aid letters in about three weeks. I am not sure what to do -- if any of you know a lot about these schools, please advise.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

chicago doesn't have a good reputation??? are you kidding? chicago may be ranked lower, still top twenty, but what does that mean? personally, my two dream schools are penn and chicago. i lean towrd chicago because they put a high emphasis on learning, just for the sake of learning. they have an excellent faculty and great resources. tough choice though. hope that i have those options next year. good luck.